motivating new guys to play

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Monkworks, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Monkworks

Monkworks Lieutenant

I have a good friend we have been playing games for years together.
    I usually don't have an issue inspiring him to play games i deem good for us to play together.

We played 500 hours of Rust together, 400 hours of 7D2D together and now i'm about 300 hours into Egyption and he has been dragging his feet at like 45 hours...

so let's learn from him as to why this game just hasn't had the pull i was looking for my friend to play.The game does have a steep learning curve, but not as much as Space Engineers. But still has a period of learning all the hot keys. this really is not the issue.

His biggest complaint is losing his body bag in ways I could not perceive before.
    He is what I call an explorer. Spent all his time working through the POI's in 7D2D and he is doing the same here. But i find him getting "extremely upset" about losing his stuff. Now three times he died in a SV high in the sky. You don't seem to get to keep your body bag in this case as it falls through the world..
    He loses a bunch of stuff he thought was important to his game and rage quits, alot. This has happened a lot of times for him.. me never.. But i am mostly a builder. In each case it was his fault for not keeping an eye on his food bar.

his quote:
    " i get no warning and i lose my Bag, how is that fun? Hours lost!!" rage quit

Im sure there was warning but he may have missed it. Its doesnt help when i keep saying that has never happened to me.

So what can we take away for this and apply it to new people who are trying out the game? I think more work needs to be done in the body bag area. Needs to stay for more time and not drop through the world.
    Maybe give us a command to pull the bag to you if not found.

I bet this should be at the top of the list to keep acquiring new players and keep the momentum going. The game has become a back eddie and cult type of following. we need to get the white gloves on for new people... with out my buddy my time will also be limited with this game as we/he looks for alternatives.

thoughts? This is the dichotomy of early access, your giving away the milk before the Cow is born. Maybe its not a place to invite your buddies to play? so are we really just testing this thing? Even i find myself getting frustrated because i see the potential, but maybe to rough around the edges yet...

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    elmo and nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯ like this.
  2. CHAR

CHAR Lieutenant

This is ̶s̶p̶a̶r̶t̶a̶ Alpha!
    Wait until the game is released, if you do not want to be disappointed.

elmo and Germanicus like this.
  3. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

If the bag is falling through the world, that's a bug and should be reported so they can get it fixed.

This game is currently *EXTREMELY* lenient on the death penalty for the player avatar. Having options is always nice so maybe there should be an option in the difficulty menu similar to how 7D2D does it (drop all on death, drop all except hotbar on death, drop nothing on death).

Keep in mind that Empyrion is about a year and a half behind in development time compared to 7D2D, Rust, and Space Engineers, and the game's content and balance is going to still change a lot going forward. It's going to be more buggy than those other games.

Based on what you told me, it just sounds like your friend has moved on from these types of early access games (and that is 100% okay). Sometimes people get tired of dealing with bugs or unfinished games. Keep in mind that other games in the same genre have far more severe death penalties, including Space Engineers where your death bag would straight up disappear randomly even if you died in your own base (or float away into infinity if you died while moving), and Minecraft where all your items despawned after 5 minutes (and enemies could steal and use your own armor and weapons against you after killing you).

I too know how hard it is to get friends into games, but as people get older they tend to have less time to play and they just move on from many games and it has nothing to do with the games themselves. I know people who used to play WoW and EVE Online and even games like Minecraft all the time but now they rarely hop into a quick match of Overwatch or just stick to single player games. Then there's people like me. :D

Hope your friend is willing to give Empyrion more of a chance, because it really is a great game as you know. But if he doesn't enjoy it then that's okay and it's not something you can force.

elmo and Thorwine like this.
  4. Luzillus

Luzillus Lieutenant

Hello,

if you play online, on a Server, than look for a Server that have ChatBot and Virteull BackPck activated. With this Tools/Mods you can save a virtuell Backpack that are not lost by death. To proof the ChatBot you must write in the Chat : cb:? and you see a list of Commands.

One of the Commands is cb:survival . This will give you Startaquipment.

The Virtuell Backpack works similar. With the Chat Command /vb will open a window with a new Bagpack on the right site. You can put in what you want and it works also as a Fridge, no spoiling in this Bagpack.

The Server must have installed/activated the Mod/ChatBot. The Backpack Mod works only on Server, not in a SP Game

elmo likes this.
  5. elmo

elmo Captain

My son @jlego said to me (mum I have found a new game you might like) Me a 64 year old who has never played a game like this in my life. Well I tried it didn't I. Been through a lot in this game from the early days, walking around the planet getting attacked by all sorts of weird creatures and boy was it fun and we had many great laughs together in the early days even when one of us was being killed. Now after almost 5000 hours in game we play on the experimental part testing out the new goodies as they come out. Do we still have fun.. yes we do. do we still have a laugh.. yes we do. The game has evolved a lot since the early days although survival has got too easy. Getting food and ores is too easy early game. Get an HV, then base then build an HV tank to take on bases, we never use an SV for that now, we only use SV or CV for getting off planet for rare ores. I don't like a few of the things in the latest A10 experimental like the volumetric light changes and we were so looking forward to the new drone attacks coming in waves and the dropping off of the little Zirax troops but despite several new game starts and us attacking lots of their bases they didn't attack. Hopefully this will improve though... Really this game in my opinion can be fun, yes you may die lots in the beginning until you get used to things but really the game is what you make it. My son and I have different playing styles but we get along and he is willing to play the game at a pace suitable for me. Sounds like your friend wants to run before he can walk. He needs to chill, take things easy and not be in a hurry.

6. Monkworks

Monkworks Lieutenant

Thanks all for the respectful comments. there really is a great community here.
    Oh he was back the next day. There really isn't that many voxal games out there. I'm just happy for this one.

I told him I went to forums and told them of his pain. he was happy :)

elmo and ravien_ff like this.
  7. Monkworks

Monkworks Lieutenant

we run our own server just for us. but thanks for this info.

8. StyxAnnihilator

StyxAnnihilator Captain

@Monkworks If do not want to use mods or fiddle with config files:
    One solution when have your own server, is to have admin rights to some commands. Like teleport and item menu, maybe god mode. In SP you have it already.
    Console : "im" (without ""), close, H, where can give yourself whatever.
    "gm", get to your backpack or vessel
    "tt options"
    To see the options
    "help tt"

"Of course" learn the ropes and think ahead, death should have a consequence, else would find the game too easy and get bored. Maybe it will be added some starter options later on for such.
    I put all important stuff in storage ASAP.
    Have mostly only weapons, ammo, tools, meds, and some other stuff (core and fuel).
    All of this I probably have spare sets in storage.
    In the suit crafting slots I probably have a stack of protein bars and a constructor.
    Blueprints ready to be spawned, minimum a spawning pad base and a simple "rescue" SV. Mainly if play on a server or "ironman" (no deaths, hard).

There are even suggestions on deaths that should be much harder.

Since not a finished game, expect bugs and issues.

BTW loosing backpack is nothing, try attack a POI that obliterate your/his/her vessel and loose all in storage. Or maybe your base get attacked and taken over by Zirax.
    Try have fun! :cool:

stanley bourdon likes this.
  9. Monkworks

Monkworks Lieutenant

Hi StyxAnnihator. some good stuff there. we turned of the admin setting so we would not abuse them. No i think he is starting to get it, with coaching and hand holding. I am with you i enjoy strong death penalties ( i have a thread on the matter). thanks for your advice.

StyxAnnihilator and ravien_ff like this.
  10. Damocles

Damocles Captain

Regarding 7 Days to Die: I have written a map generator for it called NitroGen, that serves as a replacement for the build-in RWG.
    Took some inspiration from Empyrions generation approach using image-stamps.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?114207-Tool-NITROGEN-a-random-world-generator-for-7DtD

My main issues of Empyrion are those:

-Lacking AI: especially drone AI wich is in itself a rather simple matter to improve. In 7DtD they have a pretty capable AI developer, and the AI is really a core part of why the game is so good in the long run.

-Blueprints: the option to spawn in vehicles and bases that easily really hurts the game. It does not reward building in survival mode, it punishes it. In 7DtD its not an option, the player has to build everything, depending on the circumstances.

-Balancing of SV > HV > on foot: vehicles always win. A lot of the games content such as fighting creatures is meaningless due to the dominating strategy to use SVs, and just kill everything from above. Simple changes such as base turrets only attacking SVs, not players on foot/bike would help already. The whole survival element is squashed by those overpowered conveniences.

-Wacky mashed together assets from external sources without a coherent art-style (especially creatures and NPCs). This is something that can be fixed by creating/contracting more custom model-assets.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019 at 8:06 PM
    StyxAnnihilator likes this.
  11. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

This is one of my favorite features of Empyrion and is necessary for the game. However, the factory is just a placeholder for now so while we'll always have the ability to build ships via blueprints, the method will change sometime.

12. ArcticPrism

ArcticPrism Commander

Try hosting your game using the dedicated server tool. The Empyrion Admin Helper (in dedicated server folder) has a tool that lets you restore lost back packs. Would be good for your friend who runs into situations where his bag canot be recovered.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019 at 10:08 AM