My First Trip Off Of Akua

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Veronica, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Veronica

Veronica Ensign

Hello everyone!

I've been playing this game off and on for a year and I know that I have not spent much time here compared to many of you. But in the past couple weeks I've found myself falling in love with this game and I've found the community here and on steam really helpful, so I've decided to stop lurking.

I would like to share with you the culmination of my first few week on Akua:

I had just finished the tutorial. My ship sucked so I built the T1 starter blueprint ship and stocked it up. Ready to launch.

I play on the official server (the experimental branch) and on my private server, the latter is where this is taking place. Don't hate - my server is set to easy/plentiful because I want to discover and explore before being challenged.

I was excited. I had made it to the ring of asteroids around Akua and started mining the ones rich in ore. Everything was going swimmingly until I a drone started attacking my ship when I was on my way to another asteroid.

"Wait, what? Drones patrol space? Aww man..."

Does my ship even have a weapon? Uh, even if it did I didn't bring any ammo - I left it on my other ship!

I ain't going out like this! I put my helmet on, jumped out of my ship and pulled out my assault rifle and started taking care of business as I floated toward the drone.

Ran out ammo after the first couple shots. "Seriously right now?"

Switched to my pistol and took out the drone.

I was fine. My ship was fine. Everything is fine.

I start making my way to the moon, hopping out of my ship to pistoleer any drones I encountered out of commission.

My mission was to gather Sathium and Neodymium. I found more than enough Sathium on the asteroids so I just needed Neogymium from the moon.

I decided why not explore the entire surface of the moon to finish off my XP to reach level 20? Which worked out well, "ding 20, yay!" I even avoided all the bases and drones while doing so. ...except the only drone on the planet sneaky enough to pin me between the mysterious "yellow force field" and a POI with turrets.

I had to get out of range of the POI so it didn't connect any shots, before I could hop out of my ship to take out the drone. Out of range, I also put some distance between the drone and I, but not enough to lose it. I have to take it out before it takes out my thrusters!

I step out of the cockpit with my trusty pistol and jump off my ship, tapping my jet pack to gain momentum toward the drone. Taking aim, I shot it down without having to reload. "Hey, I am getting good at this!"

Having got my ore and entertained half the drones on the planet (and repairing my ship half a dozen times), I was ready to leave for home. Walking back to my ship I was so mesmerized by the stars that I didn't even notice my ship was still powered on, floating 100 meters up in the air.

Hmm. No stairs. Nothing to jump off of (thanks mysterious yellow force field!). I don't have any blocks on me so I can't build a stairway up to it.

My extra air and food are in the ship so I can't just wait for it to run out of fuel and drop to the ground. I also didn't want to chance taking out a POI with just my pistol - I'm good but I'm not THAT good!

I was about to call Houston and tell them we have a problem when I noticed my F&F tool on my hot bar. YES! I equipped it, aimed it at my feet and built a tower all the way up to the bottom of my ship.

Back in the cockpit, I was ready to go home. Mission accomplished.

It certainly could have gone better but it made my first few days in Empyrion memorable and exciting.

After all these years, it is rare that I care about my character this much in a game, have this much fun, and still find myself immersed enough to jump out of my chair in excitement or fear.

Thank you Elion Game Studios and thank you to the whole community for being awesome!

(I posted this on Steam as well)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    CrazyEd likes this.
  2. Veronica

Veronica Ensign

I supposed I should include a little info about me:

I play on the official server (experimental branch) and on my private server with my fiance.

I will be recruiting people, very slowly, to help build a small, close-knit community. I'm still on the fence about whether I want us to play mainly on an official server or on our private server.

CrazyEd likes this.
  3. CrazyEd

CrazyEd Captain

This game has a knack of dishing up some challenging circumstances. There are times I feel I could write a book about my adventures :D

4. medicineman

medicineman Captain

One round kills drones on your server? Damn I've heard of easy mode but why even waste resources making guns/bullets for drones like that?

Without a procedural galaxy or star cluster you are going to run out of stuff to explore awful fast at the rate you are going. If the poor enemies cannot challenge you then you will finish the current set of planets in days having missed a lot of thrills.

5. Veronica

Veronica Ensign

Well, aren't you full of sunshine this morning.

Edit: My server was set to easy because my family plays on there not just myself. I play on a few servers though, including the official servers. I enjoy building in creative mode more than anything, if I'm being honest.

Woops - I meant one cartridge not one "round" (I'll edit the original post). I can finish off a drone on normal drone presence/medium difficulty with one cartridge, NOT one round. Ha ha.

Also, I'm far from bored. Have a nice day!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  6. medicineman

medicineman Captain

Hey you are the Drone bully not me. ;)