Mystery: Why can't I recreate my planet when using the same Seed?

Discussion in 'Planets & Playfields' started by Thundercraft, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Thundercraft

Thundercraft Captain

I was watching this - "HOW TO Transfer Game Assets to a New Save Game" - and realized that I had a similar problem: My saved game dates back to an old (9.0x) version and, as a consequence, the PDA quests are also bugged for me. So, I wanted to follow their example in transferring my current vehicles, bases and resources over to a fresh, new Alpha 9.3 game.

But, like Spanj, I wanted to start over with my current Seed, on the exact same planet and in the same location. I made sure that the seed for the new game was identical to my old save. I even double-checked the Global Seed in both my old save and the new game to be certain.

Looking carefully at the info displayed in the Console, I noticed this line:

OLD SAVE: Playfield 'Kejaga' with playfield seed 627173 loaded (527 ms)
    NEW GAME: Playfield 'Kejaga' with playfield seed 712957 loaded (469 ms)

Apparently, the "playfield seed" is separate from the Global Seed. And the playfield seed in my new game is different from my old save.

Q: Is there some way to FORCE a new game to use a specific playfield seed, rather than have it end up randomized? Or is my goal of restarting on the same world, with the same playfield seed, impossible at this time? Should I just give up this ambition and settle for starting over on a random world?

On further thought: Perhaps it's because, instead of using the default Survival, Single player scenario, I used a Steam Workshop scenario? https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1594181950 But, I used the same scenario for both my old save and the new game? Maybe it's because the author of the scenario modified it? Would that be the most likely explanation?

P.S.: Can anyone tell me for certain whether the "playfield seed" is for the entire planet or whether a (large) planet can have more than one playfield seed?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  2. Monroe

Monroe Commander

Look at the playfield_static.yaml in the +ExamplePlanet folder in the games default Playfields folder. This will tell you where to set the seed in a playfield, and states that if you set the seed here it will over-rule whatever Global random seed the game is using. Hope this helps.

Thundercraft likes this.