Need more information about the structure of the API

Discussion in 'Empyrion API' started by Derpinova, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Derpinova

Derpinova Ensign

So I managed to build the example mod aka the Death Message example mod.

I have tried to apply it to my server. What I have done is put some of the built files into the following file path:

D:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\Empyrion - Dedicated Server\Content\Mods\Death Message

From what I've read from the very few posted guides the other parts of the project are already part of the server client and I simply need to add the compiled dll and other resources to the\content\mods folder as specified in a sticky.

However there are 2 console messages expected from this mod being run:

From DeathMessages.cs:
    GameAPI.Console_Write("Death Messages by joemorin73.");
    GameAPI.Console_Write("Part of the Empyrion Mod Sample collection.");

These messages do not appear nor does a recognizable death message show up anywhere that I can find when I get myself killed on my test server. And yes I have restarted the server more than once after putting the files into the folders.

I am not seeing any methods in the source code or elsewhere to "register" a mod so I have to assume that the server simply searches the folder for dll files to apply. However I cannot seem to get the specified method to work. I have not modified the example project in any way other than adding the yaml support not included in the project solution (at least for VS 2015 Community) from NuGet. All 3 projects contained in the solution compile without errors.

So since others have made this work I must assume I am doing something wrong. What am I doing wrong here? How does the server apply a mod?

I am not someone who is skilled in C# but I am 3 classes away from getting my CS degree and I was hoping to use this mod as a way to get some exposure to C#. So assume I am not familiar with any special aspect of C#. Beyond that I think I am legitimately lost.

Thank You!

EDIT: Disregard I have confirmed that it is indeed working. Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017