New bases, and some experiments...

Discussion in 'Media - Screenshots, Videos, Streams!' started by Apollonius, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Apollonius

Apollonius Lieutenant

It's been a couple of years, but I'm back to drop some blocks yet again. :)

I know these will likely get wiped with the 7.0 update, but honestly I've learned a lot, had a great time, and I now know that I can build a mountain base like my first one, which at the time was just an experiment, without too much trouble. I absolutely love doing it, but unfortunately this method of base-building relies heavily on the lay of the land, and when that changes it can totally wreck a design, even if you back it up as a blueprint. Anyway here's my second mountain home base, this time by a lake on Akua.

[​IMG]
    I love the triangular windows, and the new way that building blocks are organized! I also love that you can swap the tinting on the panels, when you have to place them backwards to make your base airtight. Up at the top of that base is a large area with a living room and guest bed, and around the corner is a kitchen area with seating for several people.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    There are still a few window pieces left to be included, like triangular corners, but you could never have done this with the version I had been using before.

So I wanted to try something new with this base. I wanted to try and make a swimming pool. I know there are other ways to do this, but I decided I wanted to have a glass pyramid on the lake, with a swimming pool inside of it.

[​IMG]
    I made a long walkway from the home base, glassed it in, and supported it all the way to the bottom of the lake to keep it from collapsing. At its deepest, it's 7 blocks from bottom to surface. That's where the pool is, it's actually sitting atop a 7-story tower. Here's what it looks like from inside:

[​IMG]
    It's fun to take a relaxing dip, after building all day. I love creative mode! My next project was a Greek-style temple. The parts are all mostly there, but a fluted texture for the columns, and a slightly shorter roof would make it look better. I tried this with the shiny marble and it looked okay, but to me this looks better as a weathered stone structure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And here's the inside. One of the floor blocks can be removed, to expose a passage going down several levels, to a control chamber with a generator and fuel cell underneath.

[​IMG]
    I put similar control chambers under a lot of other features, so that I could power things like torches, teleporters, portals, etc. You can see the block I used in the following image easily, as I forgot to paint it a lighter shade like the rest of the ruins.

[​IMG]
    I can finally go anywhere in the game! No one saw me again.

And like I said I know some of these will likely become obsolete with the 7.0 version, but others will not, like the temples, and a pyramid base that I made. Those just need a flat surface to land on. And it does suck to lose all of my work, but I can do it again. I just hate having to wait to do it!

I have no patience.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    Space Beagle and eLLe like this.
  2. eLLe

eLLe Captain

I adore bases that intelligently combine as much glass with concrete and steel blocks. I always want everything to be simple and unique design just like the first base in the picture. I have to admit that you have been delighted with me more than anyone so far at least as far as base design is concerned.
    Thank you for that.

Apollonius likes this.
  3. Apollonius

Apollonius Lieutenant

Thank you, and I'm glad you like the first base. :)

I think most would look at that first base and think "3 grenades... maybe 4." LOL! Its not really feasible for combat scenarios. And the others really are not feasible in a survival-type scenario, where you're having to mine for precious resources. Why would you be so extravagant as to make a set of ruins? Those aren't going to help you survive. :p I see these spartan bases and appreciate them for their efficiency and frugality. Under those constraints, it's hard to have a well-integrated and interesting design, but somehow people still pull it off.

However in creative mode the sky is literally not even the limit.

I wish there was a way to combine the two somehow. I miss seeing other ships in the sky and creatures on the ground in creative mode, and in survival mode I would miss the ultimate freedom to do whatever I wanted. I would think people who play in survival mode would enjoy flying around huge base-cities, also. I would also miss wide open spaces to live in, rather than cramped train box cars. Those will keep you alive, but very little else. I like to make places that I enjoy being in, and running around in.

I do know quite a few people who only play creative mode, exclusively, and maybe this is the reason why, or part of it.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  4. eLLe

eLLe Captain

Each base regardless of how vulnerable it is itself can be well protected with a couple of smartly placed cannons or flaks, of course I mean SP and PVE MP.