New combined color and texture tool

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Don2712, Jun 13, 2019 at 2:05 PM.

1. Don2712

Don2712 Ensign

I posted this on Steam but no answer in 24 hours so perhaps someone here could help.

I've been trying to make a custom color with the new combo tool ( I have done it previously in the old color tool without any problems)

I followed the instructions which to me were a little confusing but seemed to work and when I went back to the main menu my new color was there however, as soon as I tried to use it, it reverted to the original color.

I tried for over 30 minutes every which way I could think of interpreting the instructions but couldn't get it to work whichever way I tried also, on several occasions the tool crashed and its menu could no longer t be accessed without rebooting the whole game.

I'm sure this is user error although I suppose it could be a bug.

Therefore, would someone please be kind enough to provide me with step by step instructions on how to create a custom color with this new combo tool in terms that an idiot would understand?

2. Na_Palm

Na_Palm Captain

Just tried it. Works as it should, for me.
    Somehow EGS don't make screens while in the color change menu, so only text instructions.

- In the tool menu click on "Configure"
    - in the then open color change menu make sure that you have the "Current" Tab active and pick the color you want to change
    - use the sliders on the right side to make the color you want.
    - Press the "Ok" button. Don't use ESC to close the menu.

Thats all and functioning.

nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯ likes this.
  3. Don2712

Don2712 Ensign

That is what I did to customize colors with the old color tool but I never tried it with the new one because this is what the dropdown tool menu said to do so, I assumed that this was the new procedure to create special colors but, I just couldn't get it to work.

1 Set up custom Palette on tabs 1-5
    2 Hold shift and mark one or more slots
    3 Use copy button
    4 Open current tab and use paste
    5 Check OK to save changes
    6 Left click color on current tab to start working

4. Na_Palm

Na_Palm Captain

As far as I know, the custom palette tabs are only for storing custom colors. Usable are only the ones in the current tab.

Frigidman likes this.
  5. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Correct.

Not the way I had originally proposed they do it (a list of saved palettes you can name, apply/save, easily share, unlimited)... but its at least something to store 'some' different color choices between builds.

Also Don, keep in mind, the "Current" tab is entirely dependent on what you are aiming your gun at (and are close enough to a build). It should change if you aim at different builds that have different palettes. So if you are off by a pixel and aiming at your base instead of a ship in front of you, it will show you colors of the base.

Na_Palm likes this.
  6. Don2712

Don2712 Ensign

Thanks to both of you it all makes sense to me now I've been playing for nearly 3000 hours and trying to follow the drop down list thinking it was new instructions threw me totally when in fact I already knew how to do it. I can understand how new players get so frustrated sometimes it's good that there is a helpful player base thanks again.