New jet thrusters

Discussion in 'Questions, Discussions & Feedback' started by Goffender, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Goffender

Goffender Commander

I just dont like the new designs, i mean the 1×1x3 small size is ok, but even then the nozzle looks stupid hanging out. As far as all the other ones, i dont need a 3x3xwhatever.... its just too big. The best sv is small and fast. Its an attack vessel for taking out turrets. Thats all.

2. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

It seems like you haven't tried transporting several hundred tons of items in an SV yet; you might find the larger jet thrusters to be a welcome sight in that case.

SGP Corp likes this.
  3. Goffender

Goffender Commander

I get that, and nothing against more power. Personally, im so bad at this game i try not to go far from home without a spawn point so my sv is strickly a short range attack. I would just like to see different configuration options, like as long as the volume is same why cant we change proposions?

4. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

Yes, we did get bigger thrusters...
    But more powerfull? Not so much.

With my scx revenant i did had a new 3x3x7 thruster for acceleration at the beginning.
    Shortly after i exchanged it with multiple jet s, in multiple directions..

Result:
    More thrust to all directions...

Conclusion:
    The jet s is still THE thruster for svs.
    :(

5. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Well, the jet s thruster is just overpowered, basically. The larger thrusters should have a better thrust/area ratio if things were properly balanced.

6. Goffender

Goffender Commander

At this point its a lot more about thrust vs mass ratio. You have to go bigger in order to get over the hump but they just dont fit good, except the jet thruster s.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  7. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

I’ll have to post my Navajo Assault Craft. It uses a pair of those “too big” jets for raw speed, and I’ve razed a few Zirax bases to the topsoil with it.

The different jets give us options in design.

Sephrajin and Goffender like this.
  8. Goffender

Goffender Commander

Yeah, admittedly i just finished Thunder Stuck using smalls and its got a 69 m/s strafe. Working on a medium design now. So its definetly doable.

9. SGP Corp

SGP Corp Captain

I just wish they'd come out with larger hanger doors to more easily accommodate those bigger thrusters

Sephrajin and Goffender like this.
  10. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

If you REALLY need larger hanger doors... try fitting two of them together rotated +\- 90 degrees. You can make some real monster hangers that way.

SGP Corp likes this.
  11. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

The only problem is that the floor isn't really walkable that way (which may not be an issue if on-foot traffic through the door isn't important). I was considering this for the main hangar in my latest mobile base design, but ended up rejecting it after testing for this reason. It'd be nice if somehow the frame could be made more flush with the blocks around it.

12. SGP Corp

SGP Corp Captain

Yeah I have done that with my CV builds but on planet I really prefer the single door look. I know its a purely aesthetic reason; but this game, if anything, encourages that sort of thinking.

And too, a larger hanger door would allow for even larger openings using your suggested method.

13. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

Just because it's the strongest, doesnt mean it's overpowered.
    By that i mean, as soon there is Cargo, they fail as well, unless you have litterly dozens of them 'to every side'.

When I use a large thruster for SV's, the 'power' of it is gone, as soon there is an 'according hull'.
    The other thrustes, every single one that is 'larger' than a Jet S, needs to be improved, to become usefull, as soon they are usefull, Jet S will be used less automaticly.

IMO, Jet S is perfectly balanced - by now - I agree, it wasnt before A9, but now, they are perfect as is.
    Without the Jet S as of now, one couldnt do 'nice' Jet fighters (by that I mean small 1 seaters).

Yes, one can do nice SV's with the larger thrusters, that's not the Point.
    The Point is, that they should be stronger, according to their own weight.

Likewise the SV M thrusters, we have more thrust using 2 S thrusters for the same block usage.
    Which just encourages 'bad builds' such as my Vertigo Explorer X (X as 10 as lvl req; where i used them for the low lvl req).

The Vertigo Explorer XX (as in 20) uses bigger thrusters.. but.. their size just neglects their 'higher total thrust'.

But for all of these kinds of discussions, we'd need 2 SV's, one small simple plain and effective Jet fighter and another with decorative interior rooms, for which all 'factions' (RP, pve, pvp) can agree on to be acceptable ships - by their size and design - and then… finaly.. we could start to discuss how each of these two sv builds should behave.

Also we need to consider cargo, true, we can disable that and I myself prefer to Play that way, BUT, we cant ignore it while Building something we put on the Workshop - unless we state so.
    At least this is how I see it, that's why I'm currently/finaly updating my 'best of' builds to A9, for which until now I just didnt have had the time.

So far I'm on the good side, once I had changed the Cargo boxes from 250 SU to 8k su for the CV's, I was lucky they were capable of escaping 5-6g unloaded, they still could defy 2.4-3g, fully loaded! :D (Parallax, Zyrion)
    Yes, this is off-topic, but it's for the purpose to illustrate how important it is to take cargo-mass/volume into account.

Because I bet, for at least 70% of all Players, at least 90% of all their own builds will stay flat on the planet - totaly unusable - once they were loaded with Cargo within a mass/volume activated game.

If the bigger thrusters dont get improved, while the CPU Limits the CC/CE/thruster use, and we dont get bigger Hangar doors, I see a very Hardcore tedious pseudo Survival game with a VERY restricted Gameplay.
    Pseudo because i dont see gathering building materials as part of Survival.... Not beyond the first base with less than 9 plots, as at that point 'survival' is past.

Sorry for the long post, seems this topic is a trigger to me.

Oh and just figured why i'm so annoyed….
    Because not too long ago, 'so many' were calling for an RCS T2 nerv, seems they got one.
    Have you had a look at your turnrates and compared un-/loaded? :p

14. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

A walkway can always be build to accommodate foot traffic over a part of the door Kip, but I completely get what you’re saying here. I’ve used these horizontally on planetary bases too - tons of fun hollowing out a mountain to convert into a hanger! Even more tons of crushed stone...

geostar1024 likes this.
  15. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Wait, how would that work given the door has to close? I've tried a bunch of different transitions from block to door frame, but none of them are easily traversable . . . is there a clever method that I've missed?

EDIT: We could really use an extending catwalk of some sort like the vaults in Fallout 4 have that bridge the gap when the vault door is open. Though I suppose horizontal shutter doors would perform the same function . . the problem there, of course, is that nothing can overlap the hangar door itself.

16. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Well, the CV T2 RCS is still way overpowered compared to all other RCS in the game, and the SV/HV RCS is underpowered compared to the CV T1 RCS (and none of them consume any significant power while active, which would help level things a bit).

17. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

Like that.

It's functional, and lets you build really big hangers.

18. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Ah, that is one of the things I tried, actually. I wasn't happy about having to jump over the gap (picky picky, right?) so I ultimately went back to using just one door :-/.

19. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Fair enough, I suppose. An alternate option is just to put a regular human door right alongside the hanger to walk out and save the hanger for vehicles. Granted it lacks that "look at me" effect of being a tiny little person behind a door the size of city, but... no gap to hop or run over.

20. DeadliestIdiot

DeadliestIdiot Commander

If it's at ground level you could place the bottom of the double door just below the terrain so that you could just walk on the ground. Not a particularly clean solution for making a good looking hangar though.