No base attacks in space....seriously?

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by arcticsnowyt, Dec 26, 2020.

1. arcticsnowyt

arcticsnowyt Commander

I don't usually like to drop bases in space, I prefer the sounds and ambience of a planet to live on but this go around I thought I'd give space a whirl.

I did the usual hours of grinding out resources to build an armed to the teeth, combat steel space station in anticipation of endless barrages of drones. I dropped it by a huge gas giant (for the view) in the middle of a star system crawling with Zirax, filled up the ammo boxes, flipped on the shield and went about setting up the base.

There was a Dreadnought, a Battlecarrier, a Freighter and Sunseeker all patrolling that space when I arrived. A few laser drones attacked my CV while I was wandering around so I figured it might pose a bit of a challenge. Also numerous POI's that should have at least spawned drones: Gas Refinery, Resupply Station, Shipyard, Orbital Production and 2 x Defense Stations. It's not like I picked an empty system in, what I call, a neutral zone.

6 hours.....6 hours (real time) I was there and not 1 shot was fired, not one drone popped in to say hi, even the multitude of Zirax ships floating around didn't drop by for coffee. Very disappointing to say the least and a giant waste of my resources. Glad I did a save game before starting production in the factory.

Is this how space living usually is or did I just manage to pick a star system with lazy Zirax?
    (Vanilla game, default settings, CPU & mass active)

2. zaphodikus

zaphodikus Captain

This is probably impractical because the troops will not "jetpack" and attack properly. Once this works, then adding some scripted star-base attacks will probably be on the cards, but I believe the lack of jetpack code in the trooper AI makes these a bit moot and messy.

I'm assuming they attack moonbases though? Can anyone confirm?

3. arcticsnowyt

arcticsnowyt Commander

I would have thought at least the ships would have come to investigate, they travelled close enough to spot me. Not even a drone.....ah well. I went back to my "pre-base" save and went the luxury CV, live in space kinda deal instead. This way I can chase trouble if trouble doesn't want to chase me. ;)

4. SylenThunder

SylenThunder Captain

This is what I normally do. Especially with the larger galaxy we have now. From the CV I can just leave it in orbit, and take a well equipped SV to explore the planet and raid.

arcticsnowyt likes this.
  5. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

They will investigate asteroids and their own POIs and can call for help from their allies, but they won't seek you or your bases out. They might stumble into them by chance though and then you might have quite the battle on your hands as more drones and ships arrive.

6. arcticsnowyt

arcticsnowyt Commander

The one thing I do miss about this approach is the furnace and deconstructor. I discovered Red Baron's FURDEC Pod on the workshop and modified it with solar for orbital use. I just keep it in my factory and plop it down whenever I need it. Handy thing that is.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2198225718&searchtext=furdec