Fixed Non-centred Thruster Jet = Asymmetrical torque [7508]

Discussion in 'Fixed (Read Only)' started by Momo, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Momo

Momo Commander

Found an issue : All SV using "Thruster Jet M", or CV using "Thruster L" are affected.
    I lost a lot of time trying to figure it out but it's because propulsion axis is not centered :

LokiC_16.jpg

If you build my ship in symetrical mode you got this :
    LokiC_13.jpg
    When you know why you can reduce the gap manually ...

Something strange : Take Ferox prefab with symetrical roll speed :
    LokiC_14.jpg

Remove the 2 Thruster Jet M below the ship, put them back in symetrical mode :
    LokiC_15.jpg

If you do "Undo" instead of putting them back, one thruster is always missing ... Like he only exist for prefabs ...

Germanicus likes this.
  2. Momo

Momo Commander

Just spawned my Loki and still the same issue

krazzykid2006 likes this.
  3. Bigfeet

Bigfeet Captain

Mode: Creative, haven't tried others yet but i presume no difference
    Mode: Singleplayer

Reproducibility: Always
    Severity: Minor

Type: Thruster projection

Summary: wrong thruster projection center

Description:
    An issue came to my attention after a long search why the numbers of thruster acceleration speed were not alike on left and right roll torque in a completely symmetrical looking build. The culprit was that the Thruster jet M (2x5x2) does not have a centralised path of thrust projection. One would assume it is in the center of the jet, yet it is not. Not sure if weight is a factor in the same manner. As you place the jet it has its green axis in the center of 1 (small) blockspace and that is where it rotates around. Since the full space is 2x2, a spuare of total 4 blocks, the rotation of the whole body displaces. Now the issue is that one gets different torque values if the center of placement axis isn't exactly symmetrical, even though the occupied space of the vessel is.
    Haven't tested for other torque directions but i presume it is similar.

Steps to Reproduce:
    Take a random symmetrical SV and place the Thruster jet M (2x5x2) pointing either up or down at a symmetrical similar spot right and left of the vehicle - without using symmetry mode on - . If the torque value of roll (in this case) is exactly similar then it was placed well. If not turn one of them around while the body still holds the exact same space on the vessel untill you get the exact same value for left & right acceleration torque.

Personal assesment:
    My guess is that either the center of projection should be the center of the thruster and this was an oversight missed or if intended it should be mentioned in the thrusters description. As mentioned not sure if weight is a factor in a similar manner. But imo opnion the center of projection is set on the center of placement rotation (green axis)

Screenshots, Crash Logs, any other Relevant Information or Download links:
    example picture of the non centrical green axis, not an issue for placement but an issue if thruster projection holds this axis as its center if not exactly mirrored. 12.0.1 2940_2020-06-19_22-51-10.png

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    Pach likes this.