Non-wiping servers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Timrath, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Timrath

Timrath Ensign

Are there any servers that don't wipe the entire universe every time Empyrion receives an update?
    Getting wiped every 2-3 months is really killing my motivation. I can live with a wipe every 6 months, but 4-5 wipes per year are too much for me.
    Yes, I know that such a server would miss out on new content, but I'm OK with that, provided I can continue playing without having to start over so frequently.
    Does such a server exist?

2. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Most servers do not wipe every 3 months, at least none of the ones that I follow do.

3. Extremely popular and high player count servers are basically always going to have to wipe every 2-4 months.
    Servers with high player counts (and lots of active players) run into the issue that backups get WAY too large after a couple months.

Then there is also the issues with the database. Once it gets too large it overflows and starts corrupting really bad. The devs never planned for that when they used the database system they did, and it is causing all kinds of issues on large servers.
    The devs have been improving it slightly, but it is still a major issue currently.

So for now, if it is a popular server with lots of players, they are basically always going to have to wipe eventually. The larger the server the sooner that is going to happen.
    A smaller server with only a handful of players can go a lot longer (depending on server hardware), but eventually it will catch up to them too.

I know that HWS and a couple of the other very large servers have been having major issues with this.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2021
    Keith Hovey and stanley bourdon like this.