Not a fan of baby spiders

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Zenopath, May 27, 2021.

1. Zenopath

Zenopath Lieutenant

So, update to build 3366 introduced some "easier" spiders in the burial chamber part of storyline.
    These are as the title suggest (baby) spiders. They do almost no damage, great. They are ridiculously hard to hit due to being tiny and super fast... not so great.

I suppose this is a minor point, but I was ok with hitting (small) spiders. Trying to hit the (baby) ones is just more aggravating than it is worth. I am not a fan of them. In fact, it's probably easier to simply ignore them and let them do their 1-2 damage per hit rather than try to deal with them,especially as they don't actually give exp. If the objective was to encourage the use of the flamethrower, then please give us the ability to produce flamethrower fuel on survival constructor or at least HV constructor...

Inappropriate and Germanicus like this.
  2. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

They are even worse when you are in a vehicle. You cannot always see them. But they can see (and attack) you.

3. Miznit

Miznit Lieutenant

I HATE SPIDERS! That's all. I hate them, I fear them, I loathe them. Even in games.

4. Inappropriate

Inappropriate Captain

Or just let us stomp on them. They are small enough to crush just by stepping on them but still large enough to make a nice satisfying crunch.

cmguardia, Myrmidon and Pach like this.
  5. GoldDragon

GoldDragon Captain

Flamethrowers.

jadefalcon likes this.
  6. PickleJar

PickleJar Lieutenant

I noticed that flamethrowers do increased damage to all spiders, to the point where it's almost a required weapon. I can either spend 5-6 sniper rifle rounds, 3-4 shotgun rounds, or like 2 flamethrower ammo to kill a spider.

It also burns "through" spider piles in my experience. Could be wrong on this but I had a large pile of spiders where if I were shooting say, the assault rifle, I'd only be shooting the one "on top" until it was dead, and then hitting ones underneath. But the flamethrower really handled the entire spider pile quickly.

THANK GOD because I also hate the little buggers.

But I appreciate their presence in the game for the sake of variety.

7. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Baby spiders are straight "copy" of the idea from Minecraft where baby zombies where introduced. Those where able to move much faster then their regular counterparts. I loved them. I also like the use of baby type animals on Empyrion, that gives added diversity to the gameplay and strategy.

8. Zenopath

Zenopath Lieutenant

I don't mind the (small) versions of insects, they're fine. It's the (baby) ones that are too annoying. What I'm asking for is:
    1) give us ability to produce flamethrower fuel (as that's only weapon that works on baby creatures) OR
    2) stick to (small) and normal versions of various creatures.

Edit= Actually 3) the idea that you could kill (baby) insects by stomping (walking) over them is pretty cool. I'd be down with that.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  9. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Some scenarios allow the craft of flamethrower fuel.

10. PickleJar

PickleJar Lieutenant

If we can make biofuel, there is no reason to not be able to make flamethrower fuel.

11. Grimwar

Grimwar Ensign

Could this finally be a useful niche for the minigun and all the minigun ammo that the drones bring you? Area suppression for baby spiders.

cmguardia likes this.
  12. Thorwine

Thorwine Commander

When I first saw the baby spiders, I thought about insect spray or a fly swatter...

cmguardia and Germanicus like this.
  13. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

All we miss now is to see the hatching from their eggs. Oh and a queen spider, their mom. :D

cmguardia likes this.
  14. Imagine if these baby spiders are "riding" on the mother, and when you kill the mom they all swarm.... Hmmm

I can think of quite a few species IRL where this can happen.

cmguardia likes this.
  15. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

One other thing that crawls my mind lately is to see a species in Empyiron with behavior similar to aliens from the movie. Raptors are not enough. I have already found new AIs weakness. Fight them bellow earth. They become dump again.

Also I wish we had a stronghold type of POI where the player (or a team of players) fight for life against waves of swarming aliens, until an evacuation vessel arrives at the scene. Starship troopers style. But how to put spawners on the planets ground? Maybe if the stronghold is in the center of an O like POI that surrounds it and contains only spawners. So is it possible to have on POI in the area of the other? Oh boy some one find us a solution.:rolleyes:

16. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Think of Baby-Spiders as MALE Spiders which get eaten by FEMALE Spiders after Mating...

17. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

I suppose you have a very disturbing real life experiences. I feel sorry for you. :p

18. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Thanks.And an interest in Nature and History;).

cmguardia and Pach like this.
  19. Khaleg

Khaleg Commander

Is not how the real life for many insects is?

cmguardia and Germanicus like this.
  20. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Maybe, but why the need to focus on something like this?