Filed / Tracking Offline fuel consumption difference [7764]

Discussion in 'Tracking / Filed' started by Mirosya, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Mirosya

Mirosya Commander

Build: V1.1 3065
    Mode: Survival
    Mode: Dedicated Server

SERVER NAME:
    SEED-ID:

MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: Yes (Project Eden)

Reproducibility: Every time
    Severity: Major?

Type: Fuel consumption

Summary: An enabled CV consumes fuel offline, but an enabled base does not.

Initial data: dedicated server without players - playfield unloaded.
    Connecting to the server - taking screenshots of BA and CV properties. Disconnect from the server - playfield is disconnected.
    After 24 minutes, I connect again and take screenshots again. After that, I consider the difference - 1 minute has passed for the base (which was spent on entering / exiting the game and disabling the playfield). It took an honest 24 minutes for CV - it consumed fuel as if the server was turned on.
    IMHO CV should not consume fuel offline - if there are no players on the server, then the game should stop completely. Or, it should be possible to change this setting.

Attached Files:

2. Injunuity

Injunuity Ensign

i have a fuel consumption issue as well, but it's both CV & BA, both consume all the fuel in either of the respective tanks. prior to coming out of alpha, this was not an issue, we're also using the project eden as given by OP.

3. Mirosya

Mirosya Commander

I understand the need for real-time fuel consumption for PVP servers, even if the players are not on the server. On a call to get up in the middle of the night, to refuel the base so that the enemy does not accidentally seize everything for nothing - romance (Welcome to EVE-online!). But for a PVE server where people play irregularly, this is pointless.

4. Niali

Niali Ensign

I suggest providing additional information - specific playfields are marked PVE or PVP even on PVE servers; which playfield did you have this issue in?

My repro for this was that on a starting world, or the sector containing it, or any PVP playfield, fuel is consumed offline for both CV and BA; I warped to another star, found a PVE planetary playfield and logged out inside that planet's atmosphere, and fuel was not consumed while I was offline overnight. I have reproduced both of these outcomes several times.

I also have access to a workaround where I can just stop and restart the entire server, since it's mine (no mods, no exotic settings) and its population drops to zero late at night. That halts fuel consumption until someone logs back in, because the playfield is unloaded.

5. Mirosya

Mirosya Commander

I have my own dedicated server where we mostly play together with my wife. There is no one on the server at night. The main base is located on a planet with PVE status. The screenshots show a typical situation after a night of server downtime. Everything is fine in the fuel base - CV has half the fuel left.

Attached Files:

6. Fenra369

Fenra369 Commander

This issue seems to always reoccur every freaking patch. It has to do I think with interaction with capacitors, solar, and fuel tanks.

7. basingleton

basingleton Commander

Just an observation @Mirosya, but your Base is only using 270 PU, while your CV has a shield installed, and turned on (and what else who know), and it is consuming 3100 PU. That is a crazy high power drain, and you need to check what else is turned on that's not shown on the screen (teleporter installed without a sensor maybe?).

Your CV is consuming 11.5x more energy than your base, per your screenshots.

Side note: That "1%" shown means the percentage of the total installed generator load available that is being used, so it's a disconnected number from how much PU your CV/Base is using (no direct relationship).

Germanicus likes this.
  8. Mirosya

Mirosya Commander

The fact is that CV for a long time remained in the same configuration of working modules. I periodically checked the energy consumption of the CV and the base at intervals of 6-12 hours (there was no one on the server at that time). And at the same time, the energy of the base remained at the same level. And the CV energy was either significantly consumed (up to 50% of the total volume), then it was not consumed at all (the fuel tank remained 95+% full). It is the inconsistency of work that annoys me - it consumes, then it does not consume - this is not normal.

9. basingleton

basingleton Commander

I would assume with that very high drain rate, that the 'no change' is actually the bug, and that it *should* have eaten up half your fuel. Have you tried the same CV with a lower drain yet (ie. turn off all the stuff consuming power to a basic minimum).

It's hard to compare to a BA that's using 11.5x less fuel (power drain) because I would expect only 270PU to show almost no fuel depletion even if it is correctly removing it from the tanks. In this thought process.. it would appear that the base always "works", while the CV does not.. but you need to compare apples to apples (same power drain).

In any case.. I doubt it will get resolved without much more testing/information put in the ticket, or the save game attached for the DEVs to load into visual studio and take a look. They almost always ask for the save-game and the game logs to be attached.

Germanicus likes this.
  10. Mirosya

Mirosya Commander

Pay attention to the photos attached to the first post in the topic. The main thing to compare is the "Power left" item. For the base, only one minute of offline time passed, and for CV - 20 minutes. This is a problem regardless of the size of the CV and its consumption.