Orphaned blueprints

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Siege Inc., Aug 29, 2017.

1. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Captain

Recently I've noticed a few of my blueprints have become orphaned. There's a little question mark next to their name in the list and I can't update them. Previously when this happened it was because the folder wasn't named correctly but that's not the case here. I tried restoring them from a backup but that didn't fix it.

It's a handful of blueprints. Most are ones I haven't touched recently. My two most recent published blueprints both got hit by this bug so I'm hesitant to publish anything else until I know what's going on.

Anyone else having a problem with this or know of a fix?

2. oojimaflip

oojimaflip Captain

Afaik I still have a few in my list, I have no idea what the issue is either :(

3. Pantera

Pantera Rear Admiral

In your blueprints folder:
    SteamLibrary\steamapps\Common\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Saves\Blueprints\steamid

Does the file of the blueprint have _ with a few numbers after it ?
    Also does your BP folder have the older data file in it the 'Workshop.data.bak' ?

I have never had this issue myself & cannot reproduce it tbh.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    Fractalite likes this.
  4. Christianholmes

Christianholmes Captain

You can recreate it by removing the number from the folder.

To OP: Make sure the number on the folders is correct and matches the steam workshop ID. I had a few where the number was actually wrong for some reason.

5. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Captain

The numbers match. That's not the problem.

Edit: I managed to fix one by renaming the Steam workshop blueprint to match the name on the folder(minus the __numbers). That's not working for the others I've tried though.

If I upload a blueprint and then delete it from the workshop it shows up the same way on my blueprint list. Still on my list, still thinks its published but I can't update it. The ones that are broken haven't been deleted from the workshop though.

And the one I fixed just broke again. Happened after renaming the blueprint on the workshop and then overwriting the blueprint in game. Fixed it by renaming the blueprint in the workshop to match the folder name and then restarting the game.

Working with another blueprint I modified the workshop name and it did update the folder name but now it refuses to accept any more name changes. Still can't update the blueprint.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  6. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

Yeah that happens to me too.

7. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Captain

It's a really odd bug and I get the feeling it's not something I can fix from my end.

8. oojimaflip

oojimaflip Captain

@Pantera Workshop.data.bak file is still present but all folders are present and correct. Is it safe to delete the workshop data file?

9. Pantera

Pantera Rear Admiral

When you subscribe to a BP of your own that has this then go to the workshop folder:
    SteamLibrary\steamapps\workshop\content\383120

& find it the folder for the now subscribed BP will be named with numbers that is the workshop id.

Have you already checked this & confirmed the file in:
    SteamLibrary\steamapps\Common\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Saves\Blueprints\steamid

has the 2 underscores & the workshopid numbers from the workshop folder when you subscribe to your own BP at the end of the name of the BP folder in saves\blueprints ?

When this happens go into:

& remove the __Numbers from the file & then relaunch the game this should remove the ? & workshop icon & you should then have the option to republish it. I just checked this & it worked ok for me.

When you are making any changes to these files are you running the game at the same time ?
    I find its best to make the changes then launch the game then to make other name changes to the files close the game down then relaunch when ready. May also be a good idea to close steam down after so many changes & relaunch steam.

I'm not 100% but I would recommend to leave it there.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  10. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Captain

Yes I've double checked the folder names and ID numbers. That was the first thing I checked. They're exactly as they're supposed to be. The numbers match.

I've tried making changes while the game was running and when it wasn't. Made no difference.

Yes I could rename the folder and republish the blueprint but it would be published as a new blueprint. That doesn't work for me because I want existing subscribers to be able to get the changes and it really doesn't help if this is going to keep happening.

11. Pantera

Pantera Rear Admiral

Can you check the prefab info command doesn't show anything wrong on a BP that has this issue ?

1. Open console

2. type in prefabinfo and the name of your blueprint. Example: prefabinfo Attack-Base

12. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Captain

That's not showing a problem. Tried it on a different blueprint in red as a test and it spit back a bunch of info so I seem to be using it correctly.

13. oojimaflip

oojimaflip Captain

14. oojimaflip

oojimaflip Captain

15. vicomt

vicomt Captain

16. oojimaflip

oojimaflip Captain

Hypothetical question to anyone who wants to give it a shot:

As a purely creative player, what reason do I have to continue to create blueprints if I am going to randomly lose control over some of those blueprints?

Again, for clarity: I play only creative, I play only to create, I have no interest in survival/pve/pvp, I like to build things.

Edit: Yes, I'm p*ssed!:mad:

JDaremo Fireheart and vicomt like this.
  17. JDaremo Fireheart

JDaremo Fireheart Lieutenant

I've actually noticed orphaned blueprints regularly when downloading some blueprints.
    The Stats screen shows a number instead of the Creator's Name.

We need more protection over our creations. We're on the verge of losing some great creators because of ignorant re-posters who either can't be bothered crediting & linking, or just plain don't care.
    Myself, I'm not that attached to my creations, but others are very protective and put more than just a little thought and work into theirs and really care what changes someone makes to their creation. Especially if said changes makes the creation look like crap.

I seriously hope the Devs put more things in place to protect our designs. Right now it's too easy to change the name on the blueprints, and for people to re-post them without a credit & link back. Some you can't link back because the originals have been removed from the workshop.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    vicomt and oojimaflip like this.
  18. vicomt

vicomt Captain

WE MAD BRO!

sorry, a little bit of levity in a foul storm.

19. JDaremo Fireheart

JDaremo Fireheart Lieutenant

And I wait with baited breath to see what you come up with next.

[​IMG]

Siege Inc., oojimaflip and vicomt like this.
  20. vicomt

vicomt Captain

I've seen that as well, however when I spawn from these blueprints, I still see my name as the author. Ooj also sees my name, and although he's usually co-creator in steam, he still uses the same subscription mechanism everyone else does.

we're at a loss.