Part underground base from blue without filling in with terrain?

Discussion in 'Questions, Discussions & Feedback' started by tony hug, May 4, 2020.

1. tony hug

tony hug Commander

This has probably been answered a few times - though i can't find the answer.

i'm playing on Alpha 12.2.2.1 build 2885 (in survival)

I am trying to put together some base blueprints .
    what i can't seem to work out how to do is

A. Place a base partially underground - without the internals being filled in with terrain.

B. For a surface base - just placing on the terrain get the thing to replace the ground - i was kind of hoping
    it would just sit on the ground without collapsing because only some of the supports actually touch the ground.

I have been trying with the options you get when you double klick a blueprint - flatten ground - terrain removal - keep topsoil .--- but none of these seem to do well anything (unless you have to set before you load the game?)

Can anyone give me any clues -- (i am sure i could do this in previous versions , but think it is a problem with me , rather than a bug) - i am looking for something that applies to the blueprint - rather than modding individual games ....

2. Can't. Only POIs spawned by the game have their terrain removed.
    Those are all for POIs and not for player structures. They don't do anything unless the game spawns the blueprint as a POI when it created the world.

Dreuseff, tony hug and Germanicus like this.
  3. tony hug

tony hug Commander

thanks - POI is my eventual aim - so i do have hope now.

4. tony hug

tony hug Commander

Replying to my own thread- but this took me hours to figure out- and i wanted to record this (for when i forget)

When you do get around to putting your POI in a scenario

-- The Terrain Removal settings in alpha 12 (at least) Use the Position of the ORIGINAL Starter block -
    -- this leads to your POIs (at least mine) getting burried in deep offset holes , or having the terrain cutout well off-centerd
    to the building - for me the original block has well been removed, and usually originally placed well out of the way.

The fix is in creative - copying ypur entire stucture onto a new starter - placed at the centre on the bottom layer of your structure

5. Next time just use the clearpivot command, spawn the structure, and then re-save it and overwrite the original. This will fix that offset issue.
    It has to be done exactly in that order.

This is the full command.
    prefabinfo 'blueprint name' -clearpivot

6. Devilmedic

Devilmedic Lieutenant

building a structure in space then saving a blueprint can allow you to have unstructurally sound bases on 2 conditions 1 not adding blocks after 2 no block updates ie base attacks (damaged blocks) its how i get floating bases in survival in MP

7. Khazul

Khazul Rear Admiral

That sounds like just exploiting that I guess the structural integrity is not validated when spawned, only when changed - which to me sounds like a bug.

I really wish they would add a game option to switch it off for player structures, at least until they have improved it beyond the stone age, or maybe give you some kind of grace period to fix terrain attachment issues (for eg adding support columns below etc).

tony hug likes this.
  8. Devilmedic

Devilmedic Lieutenant

i can agree but until it is fixed it or interguity is overhualed not much will change and i mean they will have to factor in gravity to effect it as well and i would assume thats even more coding

9. Khazul

Khazul Rear Admiral

Sometimes deleting code can be more steps forward than writing it ;)

10. tony hug

tony hug Commander

Its kind of diffiult for them to balance.

On one hand - no Structural Ontegrity means Greater ability ti make cool looking buildings
    and to be honest - a less fustrated and wider user base

on the other hand more realism and 'survival'

personally i just think the structural integrity just adds difficukty to most players and limits structure aesthetics.

Possibly a 'user setting' at startup - where at 'easy' its turned off and so easier for new players
    or those that are into 'pest control' ( Zirax annihalation) vs the base building?