Filed / Tracking Planet temperature is always zero on map display [00633]

Discussion in 'Tracking / Filed' started by LiftPizzas, Jan 7, 2021.

1. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

2. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

You have to visit the planet to get the exact details about radiation temperature total number of ore deposits etc.

3. Spoon

Spoon Captain

Then maybe 'Unknown' would be better than o.o.
    Same with the 'Resourses' which should be 'Possible Resourses'

4. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

This.
    Also the radiation and atmo density and O2 levels/breathability are all shown. You don't have to visit the planet for any of this information. Seems rather odd to withhold only the temperature.

xtended2l and Spoon like this.
  5. Spoon

Spoon Captain

I agree.
    It does look like the temp of the planet should be shown, but is bugged out.... Who knows....

6. xtended2l

xtended2l Commander

It is actually more a suggestion, than bug report. But I am second to this. We should not have any information of the planet until visited, or until scanned with CV from the near orbit.

MadRussian and Myrmidon like this.
  7. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

xtended2l likes this.
  8. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

There's a big difference between giving a wrong answer or saying, "I don't know." Consider a crosshair whose location has no relationship to where your shots are going to go vs not having a crosshair at all. :)

From the gameplay perspective, I don't think players should have to use context to infer from sensor data whether zero means zero or it means I dunno. That data should mean what it says. From a programming perspective, it's a simple if/else statement and would probably take longer to locate in the code than it would to write it.

If the rest of the sensor data is also supposed to be unknown (and I'm cool with it either way) then all of that (making the atmo/temp/radiation unknown) could be encapsulated in a single if statement since it will always be the same answer. If I recall correctly, there's already an if statement checking that condition because it shows if/when/who (or not) for the discovery status of that planet. :)

9. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Indeed. On the other hand I can only speculate that somewhere in the drawing board of Empyrion, there is a tool/device that scans planets, from space from any position withing the solar system,for those details. That device is yet to be implemented but already "considered" in the code. So those numbers we see when reviewing planet details within the solar system, are derived from a (subroutine?) part of the code that leaves the "FromSpaceReviewValues" var on their default arguments as per definition, only to be altered either by visiting the planet (which happens on a subroutine b?) or by the device.

Very long shot speculation of course. On the other hand I have felt long ago the need of such device, especially with the introduction of the galaxy.:)