Plants in blueprints

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by ASTIC, Apr 15, 2022.

1. ASTIC

ASTIC Captain

It would be EXTREMELY helpful if you would allow plants in the blueprints again and then simply request them from the factory as "raw material".

...M-o-H..., TwitchyJ and ravien_ff like this.
  2. TwitchyJ

TwitchyJ Commander

That should have been how they handled it originally, instead of labeling it an exploit and invalidating potentially 10's of thousands of blueprints in the process......

We even told them so at the time they made the change. It fell on def ears though.

3. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

There's an issue with that as a BP will always spawn with plants ready to harvest, so you could just respawn and reclaim a BP indefinitely gaining a full harvest every time at no cost

4. ASTIC

ASTIC Captain

The solution which we would all prefer is that one gives seedlings (which times also plants itself) with in the factory as a resource and then the Blueprint naturally with these seedlings starts and not with finished plants!!

5. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

It's not possible to control grow stages in a BP and the reason why it can't be the starting stage instead was never clarified

6. ASTIC

ASTIC Captain

Not in BP, but the game can easily "set" the seedlings when spawning by simply replacing the plants with the "smallest" shape of the block. Something similar is done by the "gardener" in the EmpyrionScripting with the "harvest" command.

7. Escarli

Escarli Rear Admiral

What's so wrong in having to collect the seeds yourself ingame?

8. ASTIC

ASTIC Captain

The point is that the saved BPs cannot go to the factory and cannot be published in the workshop.

You always have to remove all the plants first :-(

9. Escarli

Escarli Rear Admiral

Just take them out in creative first before publishing to the workshop, wouldn't take long to do :)

10. ASTIC

ASTIC Captain

1. play in a Game, change the structure
    2. quit game
    3. open a creative
    4. spawn BP
    5. remove all the Plants
    6. upload it to the workshop
    7. quit game
    8. join the "play" game and go on
    You already realize that your argument is not tenable - many players feel that this behavior of the game is a BUG and should be treated as such.

11. Escarli

Escarli Rear Admiral

Well how would it work with poi's in mind? Don't forget there are poi's out there which require the full plant. How would the system cope with the differences between a player build and a poi and what would the consequences be for what you propose?

12. ASTIC

ASTIC Captain

A POI has other charakeristic elements - it's no use to discuss this with you further since you obviously don't want to improve/correct the game in this point.
    So let's stop with that.

13. Escarli

Escarli Rear Admiral

Not in the slightest, I don't have a clue about coding like you do. If you change how the plants are saved in the bp, then how would that effect the poi's? Seems like a reasonable question to ask for me. If I build a poi and I want a full harvestable plant in it, when the poi spawns would it spawn with the plant fully grown or would it be a new seedling which is what I don't want?

I remember when I'd first started in the game and it happened to me, asked in discord...got an answer quite quickly....I muttered and simply went into creative and took them out. I didn't see it as a biggy back then.

Please remember that not everyone is trying to be antagonistic.

Germanicus likes this.
  14. ASTIC

ASTIC Captain

In a POI, the whole thing can then work in reverse - plants are harvestable, or if the state of the "damaged" blocks should be preserved, then the plants have exactly the state they had in the creative - of course, plants in the creative should not continue to grow ;-)

So, it's simple 2-3 days of work.

15. TwitchyJ

TwitchyJ Commander

Simple, the devs could have easily changed it so player blueprints automatically revert to the first stage of seedling (and yes, this IS possible with some minor changes).

Then for POI's where they just have to have the crop grown already the game already has a "save damage state" checkbox that could have easily been expanded upon to include crop stages.....

There are much better ways the devs could have handled it, they just took the easy route.

Anytime you invalidate a giant portion of blueprints is a bad thing, especially when it could have been avoided in the first place.

akimzav and ASTIC like this.
  16. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I understand the technical reason why crops are illegal in a blueprint and I 100% support this. Changing it now would open back up the huge exploit allowing infinite food and xp and while some people might want that, that is what the item menu and creative mode is for. It was, an absolutely game breaking exploit and it needed to be fixed.

However, I also absolutely agree that a better solution should be found as this is the most common issue brought up with blueprints and it's just frustrating for everyone, new players especially. The game has many pointless pain points that frustrate new and veteran players alike, but for new players this can mean a refund and a loss of funding for the game especially. Issues like this need to be fixed. Allowing the "save damage states" to save the actual crop stages is a good solution I believe, as it would allow fully grown crops in POIs (which would be listed as illegal), while allowing player blueprints to contain the crops and require the seeds as a base item.

I don't know how easy it would be to program, and it's certainly not the most pressing pain point that needs to be addressed but I hope it is.

17. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

By and large, I don't download vehicles, unless I happen to see a really clever design I simply cannot figure out how it was assembled, such as ships with particularly curved designs, and even then, I'm only spawning these in creative mode to disassemble. BUT, odds are that I'm not going to want someone else's garden design anyways. I know what I use, how many I want to grow, and where I want them. Do you? Probably not, so yes, please, pull your plants before you publish and let people make their own decisions about what should grow where.

Personally, my solution to this would to simply not parse growing plants when making a blueprint, so they simply get left out anyways, then there would be no issues at all. Same with other "forbidden" blocks - simply don't parse or include them.