Playability Feedback

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Awesomebox5000, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Awesomebox5000

Awesomebox5000 Ensign

First off, my time playing Empyrion (just over 400hrs as of today) has been absolutely wonderful. The game is fun, challenging, nuanced, engaging, and there are dinosaurs. I'm fully aware that no game is completely free of bugs but these are the little idiosyncrasies of Empyrion that I would like to see addressed in the new year:

A search/sorting system is desperately needed for inventory management. This needs to be THE NEXT feature added, nothing else comes anywhere close to as important; not flight mechanics, not block types, not mass/volume balancing, the game is otherwise playable and enjoyable but inventory management is a nightmare that regularly kills my urge to play. Neglecting to add search/sort will come at the cost of player base. There are just too many items to be forced to keep track of things individually by picture. In-game spreadsheets would be fantastic for such a data driven game, just throwing that out there...

Hotkeys in general should be a easier to customize and EVERY hotkey should be listed in settings, my settings list arrows up and down to pitch down and up respectively but my SV does not respect this configuration. Cruise control isn't listed, adjust camera in 3rd person is not listed, etc. See Kerbal Space Program for an example of how it's done.

There should be hotkeys to buy/sell while trading. Ideally I should be able to tab into the quantity field first then use Enter and | to buy/sell, repectively.

Main menu should pause the game in single player. There's no reason I should be consuming food and O2 while looking at or changing game settings. Would like to see an option to slow/stop consumption while looking at Inventory/PDA/Control Panels but players should NOT be able to die while looking at the main menu in single player, that's just silly. Case in point: I died while typing this up and my backpack had 3minutes before expiration. A few days ago, I brought up the main menu to go to the bathroom (forgetting that main menu in single player is NOT the same as pausing), came back to the option to resurrect so I used my clone chamber but my backpack had already expired because real life kept me away from the game for more than 15min.

Player drone should be able to interact with devices at least when player proximity to the device is not required (since it has limited range, I don't feel giving it the ability to interact with all devices would break immersion). Makes sense my drone can't use a medbay or o2 station to heal me or fill my suit's O2 reserve but why can't it interact with containers or constructors that are already on the logistics network? It's especially annoying looting a base and having to salvage the loot boxes so that I can pickup the loot they drop from overflow containers.

That wouldn't matter so much if not for the fact that alien containers don't appear in the device list after taking over a structure.

Along those lines, overflow container boxes should be looted to a connected logistic container while using a drone, not to player inventory (provided there's a valid container connected to the logistics network). I've been looting the overflow containers and bringing up logistics to transfer loot to my ship. I only just started playing w/ mass/volume limits enabled so only discovered this to be a problem when I couldn't pickup a T2 repair bay because it was larger than the available volume in a suit of light armor. The overflow container warped to my player's feet or I probably would not have attempted to pick it up w/o the drone since I was parked safely on the top of the power station.

xerxes86, Vermillion and Germanicus like this.