Playfield.yaml - add SpaceVessel code

Discussion in 'Planets & Playfields' started by johnwhile, Feb 26, 2022.

1. johnwhile

johnwhile Ensign

Hi, I'm trying to create my own battle test scenario.

I Successfully created a scenario with two vessels copying data from pre-existing scenarios but when i tried to change something I have had:
    - constant compilation errors of yaml file.
    - factions not match with code (continue to create the pirate or zirax faction also if there are no reference)
    - creates drones when their number is set to zero
    - there are constant crashes to the "DroneBaseSetup" line, only valid code is
    Code:
    DroneBaseSetup:                                               
        Fixed:
            - Name: MainDroneBase
    ]
    also copy other syntax from original samples.
    - I have already checked the syntax and I validate yaml file with a tool in internet.

So i create a new minimal playfield with the aim of inserting only two vessels patrolling an area.
    but the game crashes every time, it fails to compile the file (null reference exeption)

it's a really frustrating thing, also because the log's error messages do not explain anything.

Attached Files:

2. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I fixed it (and changed a few numbers hehe...). Looks like you used [brackets] where the Example_Space template did not. Maybe also try to avoid spawning many objects at the exact same coordinates (0,0,0). I also added the "PlanetType" line that was missing. ;)

I use the Playfield Editor to strip down templates and re-populate them, much easier than doing all by hand and searching for items, POIs names, etc. It's a life saver for playfield editing.

Last version has a link in post 1108 :

https://empyriononline.com/threads/...-2-exp-empyrion-v1-7-compatible.37581/page-56

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
  3. johnwhile

johnwhile Ensign

Thanks very much, in fact the file magically works. I also tried using last version of Empyrion Playfield Designer but I had trouble adding ships in SpaceVessel line.
    New bugs and requests for help will come, so stay tuned :)

4. johnwhile

johnwhile Ensign

It seems impossible to advance again...
    now I'm trying to use SpacePatrol mission but even stupidly copying the entire block from the game's own sample files or from Reforged Eden the game does not recognize the yaml code.
    I've never had so much trouble making a mod from other games...

Attached Files:

5. johnwhile

johnwhile Ensign

copying from a reforged eden template, it seems to work

Attached Files:

6. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

It's one thing to get a file to be "loaded" without crashing the game, but it's another story to have all settings applied and working ok.

Despites the fact that your file loaded, did the ships appear/ behave correctly ?

If you look at the +ExampleSpace, space_dynamic.yaml, at line 253 : ### Does the entries below still apply? ###

There are lots of similar areas in Empyrion, so we have to find out by ourselves (trial and error) and it is both frustrating and time consuming. I explored terrain modding, custom models, POIs, almost all .ecf tweaking/ modding, and it's all the same. Even simplistic scenarios fail to trigger reliably in very bare playfields so...

Here specifically for Patrol Vessel/ Orbital Patrol Vessel, it's another chapter entirely. Information is peppered in many files as comments, many times only partial and missing key parts which can be found in other files, etc. The +ExampleSpace / +ExamplePlanet help a lot, many parameters are "explained" but it's still up to us to try to mix them together and see what works.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I can tell you that syntax can be different for the exact same item, and it will still work, so don't just focus on that. For example, the

Position3D:

and the

Position3D: [0, 500, 0]

... both load without crashing the game, at least...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To avoid all the fuss, I usually take a "working example" and just copy-paste it in my playfield.yaml, then tweak some values or add some keys. Even then I still have occasional crashes but by going very slowly and only editing 1 line/key at a time at least I know where the error is. We tend to make bulk changes thinking it will save time but it usually becomes the contrary, and leaves us searching for the error.

There are also specific rules that apply to patrol routes in relation to POIs or some Faction settings that can come into play here, so best to read a bit about these also and see if using the CanNotBeControlledByMasterAI: True parameter could help.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022