Playing with v10.5

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hron, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Hron

Hron Ensign

Is it possible to buy game on steam and play it with v10.5 instead of v11 ?

I did buy the game few days ago, but got pissed as hell when on "low" settings on my 4y old Alienware R2 with 45-60fps, from nowhere got drops to 1-5fps for 4-5sec and then back up to range of 40+. Just by standing or walking around. So mad as I was (realy wanted to play the game, love space engineers etc) I reimbursed the money back.

But it was not letting me sleep. I can run Space Engineer and other similiar games without a problem on my hardware. So to check things out downloaded v10.5 from torrents. And it works fine.

So therefore my question: can I run 10.5 from steam? don't want to blow my money on something I'm not able to play, and don't want to look like an idiot to buy a game for second time and get money back again xD

StyleBBQ likes this.
  2. nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯

Yes it is. Under properties/betas you can choose to play Alpha 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 :)
    And when Eleon sticks to the actual CPU System you probably won't be the only one playing Alpha 10 :p

StyleBBQ likes this.
  3. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

No, 10.x is not available yet, and this was acknowledged by the developer recently.

You can play 11 and disable some of the last features it you don't feel like toiling around with these.

At what resolution do you play, to be forced on "low" settings ?

4. sillyrobot

sillyrobot Captain

Yes it is. play 10.5. It wasn't going to be provided then I guess there was enough interest they put it up.

stanley bourdon likes this.
  5. sillyrobot

sillyrobot Captain

For me, it was the new 'drag in space' mechanic; I could turn off CPU, I couldn't turn off virtual drag. If I want to play a game with underwater movement mechanics, I'll play something like Subnautica. If I play an outer space game, I expect an experience as close to space as possible to engineer.

6. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

How come it's not available on my version ? Do I have to opt-out of experimental to have it appear in my "beta" list ?

Edit : forget it. Silly me. It's the first one, before the oldest version... :rolleyes:

Why was I expecting it to be at the end, why why why...

7. sillyrobot

sillyrobot Captain

Alphabetic sorting of numbers is always silly.

8. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Never felt the need to go backwards, but good to know this is an option for regressives ;-)

9. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

While I'd have assumed 10.5 would be an option, I'm glad the question was asked & answered as I'm also seriously considering it.

Same beef, the 'accel limited top speed'. It's torture to me.

And I gotta say that seeing Steam asking me "Would you recommend this game to other players?" everytime I load EGS makes me consider changing my review. Not to be a jerk, but if I were to honestly review EGS right this moment, would it be thumbs up or down?

A rl friend I used to play SE with I know wouldn't play EGS now. I was chatting with him about the 10.6 changes & let's just say his response wasn't flattering, heh. Really wish Steam offered a "Neutral" option instead of just up or down. That would be fair imo. List the pros & cons and let folks decide if it's for them.

anyway... waaaayy off topic, but this 'review' thing has been in the back of my mind for days now, sry. :confused:

10. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Rear Admiral

I have a backup copy of 10.5 saved to my external hard drive. It's just in case they decide to later remove it and never do anything about this mess that is the new top speed mechanics.

Up until 10.6 (or 11.0 as it's now called) dropped onto the experimental branch I routinely played EGS for 12+ hour stretches.
    After a day or two of testing 10.6 I have no desire to play the game for more than about 10-15 minutes at a time before I get completely fed up to the point I want to uninstall.
    What they did with the new flight restrictions (er, I mean flight mechanics) has taken all of my enjoyment from this game.

I was a very positive supporter of this game that would recommend it to everyone. Now I'm not.....
    It's not because of how I feel about the mechanics that changed my mind, not at all. It's because of how the developers have handled it (or rather haven't handled it).

They were once my most loved developers from any game I've ever played. They are working their way to the opposite end of the spectrum now simply because of how they are ignoring all the very real issues with their new mechanics. I've never been so torn in my life (as far as a game is concerned).

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    StyleBBQ, elmo and stanley bourdon like this.
  11. fa_q2

fa_q2 Commander

I am confused. What changed with the flight mechanics that is so bad? ALL of my previous designs fly better than before with CPU disabled. Top speed can be lower but all you need to do is add another thruster and top speeds are faster across the board now as well anyway.

12. sillyrobot

sillyrobot Captain

A few things change with flight mechanics. Thrusters can provide rotation acceleration depending on placement. Atmospheres have a "drag" that both provides lift (pointy fronts get more) and reduces maximum speed based on excess thrust. There is a second "drag" component that affects all playfields that limits maximum speed based on excess thrust. You need at least 3g acceleration to achieve maximum speed in space and if your acceleration changes, your speed immiediately changes in response. It's much more like underwater locomotion in 10.6/11.