Please Make Using Local Servers Easier

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by wolffstarr, Oct 17, 2020.

1. wolffstarr

wolffstarr Ensign

I'm usually the guy in our group running the servers for our multiplayer games, as I'm in IT and have a fairly extensive lab from which to run things. This game is incredibly frustrating for people running a dedicated server on their local network to connect to.
    • The Connect option requires an IP address. DNS does not work. Please allow for hostnames to work in the Connect box.
    • The Connect box retains (and will show you) the IP address of the server you last connected to... right up until you click into it. Clicking Connect without clicking into the text field will try to connect you to the top-listed server in the server list.
    • Speaking of server list, it doesn't show up for a locally-hosted server. Everyone else can see the server in the server list, but I cannot. Despite being on the same LAN.
    • To add insult to injury, none of this would be that big a deal if the local server would simply show up in the History tab. It doesn't.
    In short, every time I want to login to the server running on a system on the other side of the house from me, I have to manually type in the IP address instead of the hostname, or just clicking on the server in the history tab. Please make it so those who host a local server on their network aren't effectively punished for providing a service to their friends.

zaphodikus likes this.