[PLEASE REPORT] Game crashes/Freezes at START Menu/Access Violation (0xc0000005)

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Hummel-o-War, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

Crashes on game start - READ AND TRY before issueing a report!

For those of you who experience crashes when starting the game (before you get to the main menu), we might have a fix: You need to start Empyrion with a batch file that you can download here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tiijba1wag5swnr/Empyrion_Test.zip?dl=0

- Copy the batch file into the Steam folder where you have installed your game (e.g. D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Empyrion - Galactic Survival) and execute it

- The batch file starts Empyrion in a mode where Workshop data is loaded only when needed, i.e. when you first enter the New Game menu or the Blueprint Library

--------------------------------------------

Hello everyone,

we are investigating an/some issues with game start, crashing or freezing and would need your dedicated help.

We created this thread to streamline the process. Please read through the steps and send in the logs as requested.

1. CHECK THE TYPE OF YOUR ISSUE

There are several categories we are currently tracking:

1a. Can not start game: Infinite Loading
    - No error popping up
    - Just sitting at the loading screen (no menu visible) and the loading icon is spinning
    - Sometimes happens aleady at the EAC screen.

1b. Cannot start game: Crash-to-Desktop (try help added above)
    - Starting the game leads to an Error at some point before the Main menu has loaded (or immediatelly at that point)
    - Either a window "Access violation" or any other Windows-Error popup is shown (or like "empyrion.exe does not work anymore); Does NOT relate to the ingame "Continue or Quit" error!

1c. Crashing while playing: CTD
    - Same as (2.) but happening while playing
    - CTD is NOT the Continue or Quit popup, but hard crash to windows!
    - Crashing means: Crash to desktop with a popup showing a Windows error message

1d. Gamefreeze
    - Game is suddenly freezing and does not recover
    - Gamefreeze is usually NOT the "Continue or Quit" message but real "framelock"
    - Sometimes no error is given, sometimes "Continue or Quit" pops up in the game or a Windows-error pops up in den background

1e. Continue or Quit
    - Game pops up the well-known "CoQ" message in any situation once or repeatedly.

>> If your issue is a combination of 1-5, please add something like "1+2".

2. CHECK IF ANYTHING from the following links HELPS

2a. Do a full clean install: https://eleon.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/208709329

2b. Try to start the game from the executable: ...\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\empyrion.exe

2c. Try to start the game in Forced DX9 mode: https://eleon.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002058969
    PLEASE ONLY USE THE METHOD DESCRIBED IN THE LINK as we need the additional logs created and as adding parameters to steam or desktop icon seems to NOT WORK most of the time (= not starting DX9 but DX11 instead!)

2d Update or do a clean re-install of your videocard drivers (uninstall the old ones before reinstalling!)

3. CREATE REPORT
    If nothing helps, please create a report as follows:

3a. TYPE
    Add the type of your issue (1.) and precisely describe at WHICH POINT and how often the issue happens.

3b. USED HELP?
    Describe what you did to solve the issue and what the result was (2.) Any change of the issue?

3c. DXDIAG file
    Create a dxdiag file and attach to your report
    (Windows button > type in "dxdiag" > save file and attach to your report)

3d. SAVE LOGS
    Got to the folder ..\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Logs\<folderwithhighestnumber> and pick the Client.log file that corresponds to your issue (time and date) and attach to your report

3e. INFO: Alpha 5.5
    Add information if you had this issue in Alpha 5.5 already

3f. ADDITIONAL INFO

Add information if this is a new game started with Alpha 6.0 (when crashing ingame)

3g. SERVER, P2P or SINGLEPLAYER?
    Add info where you are playing when running into the issue.

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR DEDICATED HELP!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    Tyrax Lightning and oikab like this.
  2. DonChilli

DonChilli Ensign

REPORT:
    I had Issue 3 on my local MAchine playing Singleplayer Mode (Starting on Akua).
    I first tried the clean Install but it didn't change anything (2a). Same for the use of the .exe File. (2b)
    BUT 2c - the use of DirectX9 did the trick for me it works now. Played for an whole Hour without Crash now. :)

Thank You! :)

3. Aaronstar

Aaronstar Ensign

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  4. vaped

vaped Ensign

Game crashed while playing. scenario 3, both in MP and singleplayer. Tried all steps not working. A couple of minutes into the game and it crashes. Fresh install and new game.

Attached Files:

5. DragonHalo99

DragonHalo99 Ensign

My game is having the infinite loading loop problem it stops doing it after restarting the game a few times. My computer blue screened and crashed corrupting my saved game as well so I have to start over. windows 10 creators update has messed up my computer so the blue screen wasn't related to the game.

6. Hummel-o-War

Please attach the required logs from the starter post. Thx!

7. ZipSnipe

ZipSnipe Lieutenant

single player

planet masperon

Problem: Ok me and my son play single player game co-op. He will log into my single player game through multiplayer by accessing my ip address. We are on the same ethernet connection.

What happens is when he teleports or leaves the playfield the game will crash

Logs attached

Attached Files:

8. Kemeky

Kemeky Ensign

The problem is choice 1a. It is stuck on an infinite loading screen the first loading screen into the game (right when you start it up, not even reaching the main menu yet) and it happens every time I launch Empyrion.

I used choice 2a, 2b, and 2c, without any luck of fixing the issue.

I have had this issue for Alpha 5.5 also.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  9. Nizudn

Nizudn Ensign

Issue #3, CTD.
    The screen completely freezes. No error message.
    CTD occurs between 1 and10 minutes into a p2p game 100% of the time.
    Nothing resolved the issue.
    Did not have any issues like this pre 6.0. This is a new game started after alpha 6.0.
    Playing a p2p game.

Edit: I'm not sure if matters, but... As a test, we logged in tonight as usual and did nothing (no moving or looking around). The game ran for 30 minutes without error, so 3x what is typical for us. We then had one person move around with the other sitting still. Also had no errors but only for about 10 minutes (because we ran out of food). After this we did nothing in game other than gather some berries and move around, but within 5 minutes (with both moving around pretty constantly) we had the CTD.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  10. ULON

ULON Ensign

I have a different, but similar issue. I just bought the Steam version of the game, but when I start it via Steam, this message appears before the game crashes after about a minute: "Steam authentification failed. Please start the Steam client."

The Steam client is obviously started already. This issue occurs at 100% of game starts so far.

I had Steam check my local game data, but nothing was found.
    Restarting Steam or another login did not solve the issue either.
    I also checked the privacy settings of my Steam profile and updated my videocard driver.

I looked for a log flie to attach, but it seems the only folder that exists in /logs is empty.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  11. Hummel-o-War

Did you try to log out from steam and relogin? If there is no /logs folder the game maybe is not installed correctly.

12. Ulysses

Ulysses Ensign

The game Freezes, in different places not only in a specific (space, desert, ...)
    Obviously the game version is now 6.0.1, attached thou shall find error, log and dxdiag files.

Good evenings and thank you very much

Attached Files:

13. Hummel-o-War

14. Aaronstar

Aaronstar Ensign

done. please look in the folders again, thanks!

15. Hummel-o-War

thx!

16. ULON

ULON Ensign

It seems that the /lof folder does exists, but there is no file in it.
    I also tried to log out from steam and relogin already, does not seem to change anything.

It may be of minor significance, but I noticed that the windows in which the game opens (it is not fullscreen on standart settings apparently) has a weird green borderline within the standart window borders. When I click on the "ok" button bellow the message mentioned above, no reaction is shown even though the game's mouse curser appears while hovering over the window.

[​IMG]

When I use the Windows button before the game has opened, the game window opens in the background (that's normal I guess). When I select the window then, it first turns completely black for a few seconds before showing the same message (which still does not react to my mouse). The game somtimes crashes during this process.

17. SilvRav

SilvRav Captain

4 - all logs emailed. freezing every 5mins...switching from drone to fps, crash, opening door and looking at it after going through, crash....etc etc etc

18. SilvRav

SilvRav Captain

ok, so i cant run the game via the exe or force dx9 as then i cant joun eac enable servers a the eac kicks me

19. En_Dotter

En_Dotter Ensign

Adding my logs for Access Violation (0xc0000005).
    Since I had a lot of them I added them to an archive. I hope that is fine.

Attached Files:

20. Hummel-o-War

Did the windows task manager show STEAM being active?