(POLL) A PvE CV needs...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Neal, Feb 8, 2017.

?

Big mobile home CVs...

1. ... should be huge!

29.2%
  2. ... needs to be able to Land on a planet

64.6%
  3. ... i don't care if it takes 1 or 5 seconds to reach top speed.

56.3%
  4. ... needs to handle like a jetfighter and turn on a dime (lots of RCS)

4.2%
  5. ... should have a bridge/control room with outside view (windows)

64.6%
  6. ... needs a big hangar bay

70.8%
  7. ... needs to have internal defences, like sentry guns.

20.8%
  8. ... should have a drill turret, in order to mine Asteroids

27.1%
  9. ... should have enough empty space in order to customize it for my needs.

58.3%
  10. ... need non essential facilities, like a laboratory or living quarters

45.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Neal

Neal Rear Admiral

I've always been curious what peoples priorities are when choosing (workshop) or building a CV themselves.
    Please note this in not about the looks of a ship.
    (Please no discussions about box shaped ships, please respect that everyone has a different taste.)

Cheers!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  2. Wild_XIII

Wild_XIII Captain

Personally I like having CV's that people could quite happily live on really. Sure it'll have all the usual stuff like a warp drive and that, but I always add extra rooms for living quarters and showers etc. In my main CV it's also kitted out with sentry guns in areas people can access the ship such as the lower hanger just in case it ever got raided.

I don't think it's necessary for a CV to be able to turn on a dime or reach max speed in a second, that's not how you usually see massive CV's in movies and games. Sure it's good for using a CV in battle in Empyrion but it doesn't seem right.

Senator Mendoza and Neal like this.
  3. Moonsugar

Moonsugar Rear Admiral

I do build most of my ships on my own. I design them on function only, without regards to look or lore.
    With a mobile base i want to be mobile, so it should be able to land on planets (and to take off, of course). And i do not want to leave my other ships on the plantes, so i need a hangar big enough for all tof them (usually a fighter, a small taxi, a mining-HV and a tank-HV). And it should be a base, so it needs enough storage room, Constructors and gardens. And two or three cannon / minigun turrets to keep the drones at bay.
    As i play SP, it does not need: internal defenses, quarters, labs and so on.
    As big as needed, as small as possible, preferably with a quite little footprint to make for easy landings.

dtmullican and Neal like this.
  4. Zor_The_Cruel

Zor_The_Cruel Commander

pretty sure im in the minority, i like minimalist CV's. No growing plots, HV hangar nice but not necessary,(HV's are cheap, so i dont mind leaving them at the planetary base) SV's i can just stick to the outside. Just needs the essential components to get me from one planet to another.(lots of cargo boxes so i can cart all my stuff with me, a large constructor so i can replace parts if needed, a fridge or two, etc.) I dont live in CV's anymore. They just transport me to other planets is all. I much prefer making a base of some kind on each planet.

Moonsugar and Neal like this.
  5. Moonsugar

Moonsugar Rear Admiral

From time to time i am tempted to do the same. It meets my own pursuit of minimalism. But: I usually never come back to a planet i left (with exception of the starter planet, where most of myAMDs and H2-Generators reside). So it feels a complete waste to me to build up a base with all i need, only to wreck it some game hours later and to build it up again. (As tells a saying in german: "Wir bauen auf und reißen nieder, haben Arbeit immer wieder".) Moreover: the homebase-CV is designed to land without the need to scouting beforehand. It has enough fuel tanks and a low fuel consumption, so that i can cruse in atmosphere well about half an hour, or longer. In late game it is also armored to an extend, that the occasional fly-by at a fortress doesnt do too much harm. This way the growing plots and constructors never stop working, what is objectively not needed, but feels better.
    Hm, more text than i intended... anyway: your habit in this matter is not as exotic (to me!) as it seems when looking at the poll.

Neal likes this.
  6. Booyaah

Booyaah Captain

I think your poll forgot the most 'important' thing when ppl choose from the workshop, 'does it look cool?' I'm pretty sure that's the basis for 95% of the workshop picks.

Siege Inc., Kieve, Fastidious and 2 others like this.
  7. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

When we build our CV (we being, me and the guy(s) I coop pve with on a private DS)... we make it look neat both inside and out. Using any deco items that fit the spot, and definitely we must have:

- Full indoor farm to sustain each of us, including processor and fridges.
    - Then a o2 and medical area (dont bother with clone tubes, the medic bay does the same thing).
    - Full construction facilities with storage for loot and items.
    - Each have an interior landing bay that is big enough for the SV we each build for ourselves (we rarely fly together in the same SV), so these bays need to be big enough to accommodate our creative whimsy on the SV front.

Then, we make these huge elaborate and cool looking engine/fuel/bridge rooms. Purely for looks and bling factor. Bridge having enough seats and glass to rival the starship titanic.

As for combat protection... we just make sure there is enough forward armor to protect inbound dumb AI fire. We make sure the farm and storage isnt between the front and the core (since the AI likes to aim for the core). And all explodables are kept a good distance from anything important. We generally dont have to worry about the AI anyhow, as the minigun turrets on the outside take out anything dangerous.

wrenchinator, Wild_XIII and Neal like this.
  8. vicomt

vicomt Captain

Everything except the RCS.

As most people here know, we build for looks, we over-emphasise form over function, and we build big, because there's no way we can get the details we want otherwise. If our ships work well enough to use on a daily basis (some almost do), well, that's all well and good.

T2 RCS are MASSIVELY overpowered, and being able to have an unlimited amount of them turns CV's into fighters, and that's wrong IMHO.

crap, I think I just argued for an artificial limit on something... errr, I know, balance RCS to give diminishing returns!

Captain Jack II, oojimaflip and Neal like this.
  9. Kieve

Kieve Rear Admiral

The KSP solution comes to mind. RCS consumes virtually no power while active, but spikes during operation. You could make a 200t vessel turn on a dime with enough RCS, but you'd need a ton of battery reserves to power it. For EGS, that would equate to substantial generator overhead and increased fuel consumption.

For the topic, the Selene LXS is nearly everything I expect of a PvE CV:
    • Planetary capability / fuel efficiency
    • All survival necessities, including grow plots*
    • Defensive turrets (Anti-drone / hostile NPC)
    • Hardened- or Combat-steel hull to withstand enemy fire**
    • At least a little deco / cabin / living-space (for RP value, and the day when it eventually matters).
    • Good maneuverability / handling.
    • "Compact but not cramped" - having everything you need close and hand and easily accessible, but not all crammed into the same space.
    • A decent, aesthetically-pleasing exterior, painted.
    Personally, I like nimble ships that can turn and roll swiftly, so I don't share vic's opinion on T2s (and wish to god we'd get T2 RCS for SVs as well), but I understand the desire for big ships to handle like big ships. I also can't stand how many CVs out there are left flat-gray bare combat steel. I don't care how fancy your hull design is, if you leave it with that hideous chipped / scratched-up steel, I'm not gonna touch it.

*For me, CV plots are an "in case of emergency thing." I rarely use them, but better to have and not need than to need and not have.
    **As per my recent discussion with Loudog in the comments, this is the LXS's single glaring flaw - crippling vulnerability in certain locations, when exposed to heavy fire. The LXS was never intended as a combat vessel, but even a PvE ship should be able to survive "accidentally" making a low pass over a Xenu Fortress or similar.

Neal and dtmullican like this.
  10. dtmullican

dtmullican Commander

This is my design philosophy for most of my ships.

11. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

One thing I should note, is when/if we land on planets with our CV, we have this special landing rig BA we toss from Factory (takes about 1 minute to process)... which provides a safe flat spot to land, with an elevator tube for easy access. We never, ever land on actual terrain :D

Captain Jack II and Neal like this.
  12. Neal

Neal Rear Admiral

I would never have guessed that almost 50% vote for "... should have a bridge/control room with outside view (windows)".
    It's funny how easily i have projected my own habits to others. Since i'm used to fly big ships always with 3rd person view, i would never have guessed that so many ppl. prefer the "bridge" of a ship to have windows and a actual view to the outside. (although this makes it an easy target IMHO).
    Very interesting... :)

13. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Well... we all may still fly in 3rd person ... but when walking around on our bridges we like to look at the windows in first person :D :D right? right?

Aeri, rainyday, Neal and 1 other person like this.
  14. Kieve

Kieve Rear Admiral

Oddly enough, I did not vote for that option, though every single ship I build (HV/SV/CV) has and will continue to have cockpit visibility. It's a personal preference and design choice on my part when building, but it's not something I would consider a strict criteria for CVs in general. Meaning I won't turn my nose up at a workshop CV if the maker decides to bury the cockpit.

Also, it's certainly possible to protect the cockpit even with a window view. I double-layered the armored glass in the Vanquisher for just that reason - and that one was intended as a straight-up combat vessel.

Neal likes this.
  15. Neal

Neal Rear Admiral

Hehe, true. I can't wait for the day, when we can set up cameras on the outside and put huge monitors on our bridges (360degrees would be cool) and put the ships bridge on some protected place inside the ship. That'd be really nice imo.

Zor_The_Cruel likes this.
  16. Zor_The_Cruel

Zor_The_Cruel Commander

For the windowed bridge thing, ive seen some CV's that had two cockpits installed, a pretty bridge with windows and such, and another cockpit buried behind armor. A battle-bridge, if you will. And then you just jump in the one needed depending on your intended activity when you take off, since you can pilot the ship from either one. Seemed like a nice idea for people on multiplayer servers.

In SP i see no need to try to make one ship for all needs, when it is more fun and effective to specialize your vessels.
    Really unless you have a 100% scorched earth policy with no permanent base left behind anywhere, you dont need active growing plots on a CV "just in case". all you need for backup is the supplies to make growing plots and the seeds.(if you dont intend to live on your CV on a permanent basis.) you can plant new stuff at the new base on a planet. I basically seed the universe with bases that are inexpensive but fully functional. (and i like building different bases for different planets and moons. It gives a change of scene and helps me not burn out on a game seed as fast as staying in the same home-base-cv all the time.) This is all up to personal preference though.

rainyday and Neal like this.
  17. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

We are just nomadic. We begin with a starting base, where we build our first hv/sv and then create an cv (yes on ground lol)... while we basically strip mine and destroy every POI on the starting planet.

Once we take off in our CV to cruise the galaxy (soon), we never really go back to home base unless there was some catastrophic event in which we lost our mobile base lol! Like.... one time the game glitched, and ripped the cv in half, merged half of it with a fortress POI, and then everything exploded. Mmmm ahhh, alpha games :D

18. Booyaah

Booyaah Captain

Bridge with beautiful view you say? :D

[​IMG]

Neal and Frigidman like this.
  19. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

... from the Consequence ... :D

20170121215841_1.jpg

20. Moonsugar

Moonsugar Rear Admiral

But to place it, you must land at least once. I guess you do that with a SV and land the CV on returning. I prefer not to use my SV for "first contact", but to land with my CV at once. My landing pad follows and is mostly a half-functional base (life support, constructor, a little stock of ores - just in case...).