Poor turret tracking

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Wakfu, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Wakfu

Wakfu Commander

how about fixing/improving the tracking on turrets. right now if your in a cv, firing on a small stationary target, and you are moving, you consistently miss. i would hate to see firing on a moving target.

you shouldn't be missing a stationary target because your CV is moving...weird. something altogether wonky about tracking algorithm or math.

2. japp_02

japp_02 Commander

Miniguns and turrets are mediocre when you move, their turning rate is too low to compensate, the only decent turret is a rocket turret.
    On a CV your turrets need to be placed on the lower side of your ship for planet targets or they will not fire at all having no open fire line to their target, everything placed in upper position is for space targets. With that in mind I had very good results with a CV and planet targets, it's because of the powerful shield that allows me to almost hower over the target while the turrets do their job.
    Otherwise a good hower tank with artillery and miniguns, or an SV with front-aiming miniguns and manual rocket launchers are good against planetside targets.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    Kassonnade likes this.
  3. Wakfu

Wakfu Commander

well you could roll the ship upside down. and int his case it was plasma turrets with the slow tracking. shrug

4. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

If you need to move so fast to avoid being hit (you need a tank) then you may not rely on turrets for attacking. The whole meta of CVs flying like light attack fighters can't be used to adjust all other game elements ; turrets have a max rotation speed and if players have very (too much) agile CV then when flying closer to a target the turrets will still rotate too slow.

Same applies to CVs with turrets all around them : not optimal since armor can't be at max efficiency everywhere. Best to have 1 "best cover angle" to tank shots when facing tough opposition, like a POI with many turrets. For PvP the meta is different, because it's a "furball" context.

5. Wakfu

Wakfu Commander

hey ok. I play on reforged eden. I dont like the gimmick gameplay of vanilla. My ship doesnt move from 0-100 in a split second in all directions or in any directions. actually moves like a ship. slow to accel etc.....the turret tracking is so poor that even a slight movement and it misses a small stationary target.

6. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Sometimes it misses, and sometimes not, for many more reasons than just bad algorithm, so I hardly see how there could be a "fix" if nothing is "broken" in a manner of speech.

Turrets need to rotate on one axis, then rotate in another axis, because there is no such thing as "compound 3d rotation" in the Euler rotation system (like players do with mouse aim), these are sequential. For turrets only 2 axis are required, since the 3rd axis is useless (rotate around the cannon's vector).

When moving even just a bit it is asking for the turret to recalculate how to rotate on the first axis then on the next axis to get to the target's position, at the moment the position is taken. A ship does not have to move very fast nor to be very large to have turrets missing due to ship's movement (which then changes the relative positions), and also other factors come into play as to how a turret chooses its target. If this was not a game but a dedicated military targeting application, it would require all processing power to stay on a locked target, and would probably succeed most of the time. But it's a game and too much things are running at the same time to allow us to say it's broken, when in fact it's just doing its job to the best it can given the game's constraints.

I think your suggestion in another thread to have the ability to lock targets so turrets focus on these would be a better proposal, because it would eliminate "turret confusion" that happens because the turrets are constantly evaluating "choose best target" - it's their primary AI task and runs all the time, even after a target has been "acquired".

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  7. Wakfu

Wakfu Commander

ah true, that explains it. Maybe then increase the tracking since tracking on each level slows it down more than if it could track 360 without having to move axis by axis.

Kassonnade likes this.
  8. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

Its not a phalax defense system simply put !!

Kassonnade likes this.