Possible way to make ships from the Steamworkshop PVP viable

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by MiKaSooN, Sep 8, 2017.

1. MiKaSooN

MiKaSooN Ensign

Tier Based Upgrade System For Blocks

A simple idea but probably impossible to code it. Nevertheless, I would like to suggest it and maybe it's worth to think about it. How to make the ships from the Steamworkshop usable for PvP. The solution could be a tier based block upgrade system.

First, a short description of the starting situation:
    In general, in PvP many, many layers of protective steel are placed around the core, cockpit and equipment. The result is a well protected ship at the expense of esthetics.

Goal:
    Well protected ships which are esthetic at the same time.

Possible Solution:
    Tier based upgrade system for blocks.

How It Could Work:
    As an example I take a simple cockpit which we cover exclusively with a layer of hardened steel cubic blocks, wich is given us the same protection like 7 layers would.
    Now we go to our first block of steel, take the multitool, select the upgrade function and upgrade our first block to a hardened steel block. It costs one hardened steel plate. The block itself weighs 32 kg and has 200 HP now. Now we bring the block to Tier 2. We are using the upgrade function again. Now it costs 2 hardened steel plates. The block itself weighs 64 kg and has 400 HP now. T 3 would cost 3 hardened steel plates and brings the block weight up to 86 kg and the hitpoints to 600 and so on… until the desired protection is achieved of course at the expense of material and weight. The same way could it work with windows, armored windows as well as shutter windows.

2. SilvRav

SilvRav Captain

I like this idea... But they would need to rebalance moving mechanics first imo

3. Frankyln

Frankyln Rear Admiral

This really only works if you limit all ships to 1 layer of armor otherwise all you have is 7 layers of max tier armor.
    You think the non aesthetic PvP ships would not use this system as well.
    Then were back to square one only now all ships have 7 times the hp.

checkout New Armor system - Layers without Layering

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    oojimaflip and Mortlath like this.
  4. MiKaSooN

MiKaSooN Ensign

Hey Frankyln, thanks for the link.

Yeah... thats the bad point. Sure after they got the first layer of tier 7 done. They can put another tier 7 layer on it. But in the current state of the game they can do it already now. I mean after they done the first 15 layers of combat steel why they dont put another layer of 15 on it. There must be a reason for. I was reckon it's about the mass issues. Because if they do so, they need another couple of RCS + armor to keep the agiltiy. The mass is increased again. So, they need another couple of thrusters, generators, fuel tanks + armor... mass is increased again. Now they need more RCS again... mass is increased again... like an endless circle and after you hiting a certain level of mass issues there's no way out anymore plus an unmanageable consum of fuel. Maybe, increasing mass issues are already working like a natural limiter. How do you think about that? Is it working like that?

If not, you're totally right. Your described scenario would exactly gonna be happend.

By the way. Excuse me my english, it's a bit rusty now.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  5. Gawain

Gawain Commander

I only like the block conversion idea if it did the outer most layer only. I dont care for the 10 layers ships and if you harden the guts you can often take way from the balance of acceleration and turning ability.

There are a lot of great old school designs in the workshop that have fallen to ether simple because new features or items have been added to the game.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  6. Xenophon

Xenophon Commander

whats stopping people from now spamming those armor blocks for 10 layers? its just more powerful armor that would be used same way and pvp ships would continue looking same except with more armor now.

workshop ships are weak as theyre designed for form not function (in this case - combat). In reality fancy expensive car is no match for a main battle tank however uglier tank may look to you and if you gave car magic armor whats stopping the tank for using 10x the same armor on itself too and looking the same?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  7. MiKaSooN

MiKaSooN Ensign

Yes, I can see that point now.

Still, thanks to you guys for your time and answers.

8. rucky

rucky Captain

We have a few limiters now in Empyrion that, as I think were introduced partly because of pvp balancing but now hinder it.
    Manoeverability and Speed is one of those.
    You have a PVP super 20-layer-armored-Tank-SV ? You can have it, because my DroneHunter will be so fast on your back, that it's only a matter of time and my ammo to get you down (no, you have no turrets or back-shooting weapons).

Is this the truth?
    No. Because even if acceleration stats indeed matter (and there is no PVP ship matching my fighters) the max speed is capped, making my fighters in practice not so much faster then they should have been.
    All designs are equally fast.

These limits need to fall and Mass, Tension, Inertia need way more influence in ship design.
    Then balance between PVP death cube ships and good workshop ships can be achieved!

Mortlath likes this.