More Info needed Power problems with bases on both Solar/Fuel

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Numonar, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Numonar

Numonar Lieutenant

Mode: Creative
    Mode: Singleplayer

SEED-ID: Any

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: No

Reproducibility: Sometimes
    Severity: Trivial

Type: Global

Summary: Solar power stops working.

Description: Being away from planet base for 30+ hrs ,exploring the solar system. Coming back, all plants dead, food spoiled...Fuel gone, even though the capacitator was/is at full charge.

Steps to Reproduce: stay away for long, i guess ?!

2. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    30 Ingame hours?
    Did you quit and resume the game in between?
    Did your base have solar only or combination of solar and fuel?
    Was the Capacitor filled?
    Did you have an over-capcity (more solar generated than used?)
    Were the fridges connected to a food processor or constructor?
    Was the connected device crafting something?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  3. Numonar

Numonar Lieutenant

Yes, about 30 in game ( real houres ) in 2 sessions.
    Yes i did save and restart a few times.
    Base has combined fuel.
    Capacitor was full when i left, and full when i came back, but fuel was all used up.
    I'm pretty sure the solar array produced way more power than the base would use, about 1.4 kpu, wile the base uses about 70pu in standby.
    Fridge is connected to a food processor, but i did not craft anything before i left the base.

Before i left, i've turned off all construction devices, lights etc, only the fridge and growlight was powred.

4. Caennanu [NWB]

Caennanu [NWB] Lieutenant

i've noticed in our base too that capacitors do not fill up when solar panels overproduce. Yesterday our base had 1MPU production, and 4KPU usage, however the capacitors did not fill up while the playfield is active. The capacitors only seem to recharge when the playfield is not active. If for you the case is that during sun hours the capacity of your panels is just enough, it means it will draw power from the capacitors during the night and burn up fuel when they are empty. This could mean that your plants have died during the night. Same for the fridge being temporarily unpowered during the night, causing everything to spoil.

5. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Any update on this issue (given the updates in between)?

6. Numonar

Numonar Lieutenant

sry, no, just didn't have enough time for everyting atm.
    As a side note, same playthrough different planet-space station,it did not happen again to any location.
    I did not have time to test on new releases though.

7. Ian Einman

Ian Einman Captain

I've seen problems recently which might explain this.

First, game info: V9.5, Survival, Advanced Start, Seed 55555. You start at a POI called "Old Farm".

I dug a bunker beneath the farm with an elevator to get to it, so I had more space. I also extended the single solar panel, adding several adjacent ones until I have about 12 of them in a big array.

I had problems at night trying to run a constructor, because it would kill the battery (capacitor). So I decided to add a fuel tank and generator, as a BACKUP for the rare times I really needed to do something at night without draining the battery.

It seemed like fuel was being used even when the battery was not empty. This might have been because at the time I noticed it, I was running a constructor that used more power than the solar panels were outputting at the moment. (I can't prove that though, it was hard to understand what was going on.) It should not use fuel until the battery is empty.

Because it looked like it was using fuel for no reason, I turned the generator OFF. Battery was at about 50% at nightfall. I was running a food processor, with a fairly short queue (making a few seeds). I then went to bed.

Upon waking, I discovered that:
    • The queue in the food processor had not finished, although there should have been plenty of power to do so
    • The battery was empty
    • The fuel tank was empty, despite the fact that the generator was off, and there should have been enough fuel to run the base for days
    This may be similar to what @Numonar saw, although I slept instead of leaving the playfield.

In my case, it seemed to miscalculate how much power would be used by the items I had queued for construction, because there's no way making a few seeds should burn through a whole battery (normally the battery would finish the night with 20% left or so). Moreover, it should be completely impossible to use fuel when the generator is OFF.

From then on, I kept the fuel tank empty and only added fuel when I needed backup power. But manually switching the emergency generator on/off should be all I needed to do.

Numonar, Pach and Germanicus like this.
  8. Ian Einman

Ian Einman Captain

Can you add a graph of power usage to structures, like power input/output per hour for the last 72 hours? It would help diagnose these problems.

Right now, I think solar panels are not working right sometimes. If I leave a playfield for days and solar power input exceeds consumption the battery should go up. But it doesn't seem to. It seems like batteries only charge if I am in the playfield. If I go into orbit, and come back to a base on the planet later, the capacitor never seems to have as much power as it does if I stay in the area. But it is hard to prove that, without knowing stuff like what the weather was on the planet when I was gone (maybe it was stormy). That's why some type of graph or log would help.

9. Numonar

Numonar Lieutenant

I have a minimal Base with 65 psu. thats a fridge and a constructor and cargo boxes, not extensions.
    1 Capacitator , a small Generator with 2 small fuel tanks.
    My Solar power plant produces about 1.4 k psu during day and 70 something during night, "what a moon light" :D
    Even IF the weather is bad for weeks, wich we know it's not, there is plenty of power, because even NIGHT produces more than the base needs in standby.
    And from reading the further up post from Ian Einman, i do think our problems are related somehow.

10. Buuuh

Buuuh Commander

Don't forget the weahter and stand-by power of constructor, food processor and so on.

If your battery is at 50% and you expect it to be at 20% at morning, and maybe on the next day there is rain, radioactive fog or heavy clouds your solar output is very low. The 20% might deplete then very fast. Especially if eg a food processor is still on stand-by. My experience is, if you go for solar and plan to leave a base for a longer time, turn almost everything completely off. In a base with maybe oxygen supply, some plant lights, fridges and then additionally have a ctor, food processor, etc. on stand-by only you easily exceed the solar power output if there is bad weather.
    If you are away for (ingame) days there just need to be short period of solar-unfriendly weather which drains your capacitors, then the generator jumps in, maybe drain your fuel tanks (this must not happen if the generator is turned off of course) also and after that is nice weather for several days where your capacitors are filled again. Voila: Food spoiled, plants dead, fuel tank empty but capacitor full.

What i saw on my server was, playfields are only spawned if someone enters them. I assume progress on a playfield is only calculated, when the playfield is spawned. So if you restart the server, playfields that nobody has visited after the restart, will make no progress, until they are triggered again. That is my assumption, i didn't take a closer look into.
    If this affects singleplayer the same way, it will be even worse, after every game break.

11. Kitet

Kitet Ensign

Hello. I have a save created in 9.5 2294 and solar power don't work at all. Ever. It worked when I started the game but after some tens of hours of playing it stopped working
    • in existing bases
    • in new bases
    • irrespective of having fuel based power subsystem
    I created a new base on a planet now: core, capacitor and 15 panels - can't turn it on. Added tank, small generator - base turned on. Removed those - solar can't load capacitor.

I went to space and made a base of 8 blocks: core, capacitor and 6 panels. See screenshots how it turned out. Notice that capacitor somehow lost it's POWER button. I can replace capacitor and button will return, but the new capacitor also won't be charged.

K1_2019-04-13_19-39-31.png K1_2019-04-13_19-43-45.png

Here's the link to mediafire with my savegame http://www.mediafire.com/file/usi29q9f59glqwm/K1.zip/file

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  12. Pantera

Pantera Moderator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    Can you please attach the save game also ?
    For SP go to (for MP use the dedi server directory)
    SteamLibrary\steamapps\Common\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Saves\Games

Right click on the save file & place your mouse cursor over 'Send to' create a compressed copy of it then drag & drop a copy in your reply box or use the upload a file option.
    If the file is too large use a file hosting site like mediafire, dropbox or google drive then add a share link to it.
    Thanks.

13. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

There are some funny things going on with Solar-Panels. Even in bright daylight the won't put out power. I grab my gear - I most of my time on Arid Planets - and make a walk...ON TOP OF THOSE PANELS! I hit P and... look they are running:D

14. GER-Raptor

GER-Raptor Ensign

Solar panels generate energy in the minus range

Mode: Survival
    Mode: Singleplayer

Modified: Seeds from random generator
    Playfield: Bruthen - Typ Snow - Seeds Global 388994 Planet 884165
    Playfield: Zintoth - Typ Alien - Seeds Global 388994 Planet 355848

Reproducibility: Sometimes
    Severity: Trivial

Type: Global

Summary: - Solar panels generate energy in the minus range
    - It shows me 10 generators in the base where I only built 2 but built and demolished 8 times because I thought they were the cause.
    - Solar panels do not work

Attached Files: