power use balancing container extensions

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Pear78, May 13, 2019 at 10:34 AM.

1. Pear78

Pear78 Commander

Just played around a bit with the containers.. that power draw seems very high.. way too high imo.
    if you want to have a CV stationairy with just the growplots running, you also have to sustain that.. doesnt seem to make much sense..
    The way I see it: its a big space where cargo gets stored in.. how is that using power? The way it uses more power is because we need more thrusters to get it moving.. and thus burn more fuel when we are on the move.
    I dont see the logic in them costing extra power consumption being just stationary somewhere (be it landed or hanging in space.

2. zztong

zztong Rear Admiral

I think the power draw represents the underlying conveyor system. It could also perhaps maintaining temperature/pressure though that might suggest that having a separate refrigerator is unnecessary.

Appropriate power draws have always been a problem if you chose to make a study of it. They were more visible when the game used real-world measures for power. I'm not sure what the generic units are now, but they used to be kilowatts. (Imagine a 1 kW room light.) If you really want a puzzler, think through the "efficiency" of using a sensor to control a light. :)

3. zztong

zztong Rear Admiral

Oh, one thing you can do is make a separate "storage" base, then don't give it any source of power. The storage containers still work, but you won't have any WiFi. This is the best long-term storage solution if you're into managing power consumption.

Pear78 likes this.
  4. zztong

zztong Rear Admiral

Oh, another approach is to make "storage HVs/SVs" that you can dock to your BA or CV. Just leave them powered off.

5. Pear78

Pear78 Commander

I have those already, literary made HVs that look like 40ft containers, fit in 4x1x1 on CV or BA
    but.. they only have 28000 storage, compared to 32000 for BA/CV extensions, since there is some stuff in them to keep them able to move
    :)

zztong likes this.
  6. Pear78

Pear78 Commander

also, those are work-arounds ;)

the main point of my suggestion balancing was for the stationary use. solar power is becoming less and less viable to keep a base up and running in stand bye mode. My bases tend to be left alone for days on end, sometimes a week, just because I dont have much time to play besides all the building I do ;)

I would imagine that if nobody is touching the cargo controller, there is no need for conveyors to use power? Add some cool conveyor sounds even when pulling stuff out or putting stuff in, I'd like that.
    maybe have power usage increased when accessing the storage controllers, but have just a very low use-age when not being touched?

zztong likes this.
  7. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Captain

I’ve done pretty well operating bases and space stations entirely on solar power. I do have a few tricks for it though:

1. If you’re not using it, turn it off.
    Constructors, Furnaces, Food Processors - these things can suck up tons of power just being on and idle. Turn them off. You don’t leave your stove on all the time, do you?

2. Moar! The Solar Battery is the heart of a solar power system. One battery can run one small base for about one day. Add 3 or 5 or 7 more and give them time to charge.

Build the limit of solar panels. 15 it is, so be sure to build 15, and build the big ones, the small ones generate less power.

3. Find that “sweet spot”, where your potential (green) and yield (yellow) are as high as you can get, 4 and 4 is ideal. Sometimes this means building them away from your base using the Attach to Base option. That’s OK. Most of the time it’s desirable. I’ve build panels on massive towers of tress blocks to get them above tree lines more than a few times.

zztong likes this.
  8. Pear78

Pear78 Commander

lol, more work-arounds, I didnt ask for tips on solar panels :D

I made a suggestion on container extensions, imo they use too much power when not being used. agree with it or dont, but this topic does not have to be on other subjects <3

9. zztong

zztong Rear Admiral

Folks are just trying to be helpful. That doesn't invalidate your point about container power use.

IndigoWyrd likes this.
  10. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Captain

Agreed, and I’m neither agreeing or disagreeing with the amount of power consumed by cargo extensions - I’d honestly not noticed their power consumption, so they’ve kind of fallen into my realm of “negligible” thus far.

Of course, being that this IS still an Alpha build, these sorts of things are always up for revision and rebalancing. Not going to start sweating this stuff just yet.

zztong likes this.
  11. Kard

Kard Lieutenant

Having made a few mass/volume games with extensive cargo BA/CV/SV/HV testing, I have to agree with the OP. Container power draw is a bit excessive in relation to power sourcing. As mentioned, the CC/CE system basically negates the added supplemental solar-generated power system. Now add in shields. We're back to being fuel factories again.
    In terms of real costs of using the CC/CE system, we're hit by power consumption, added size/mass, added thrust/RCS/generators, and therefore added power, and so on. Like many, I LIKE the CC/CE system, and I DO agree there should be a semi-realistic cost attached, I just think said cost needs to be re-balanced slightly after some extensive testing. If a variable volume or mass-dependent calc is insufficient for devs to integrate, perhaps a 25-50% reduction in CE (not CC) power consumption rate is a cheap solution.

I would strongly suggest that the power consumption of CC/CE clusters be fluid, proportional to % of volume used in said cluster.
    ie: if a CC/CE cluster is using 50% of it's available volume, the cluster is consuming the CC's base power rate, plus 50% of the summed CE rates.
    In effect, unused CE's are in standby mode.
    Currently, a CV using 1 CC and 16 CE's = 58 PU (10+(16*3)) constant power draw, even if only 25% of it's volume is used.
    After proposed change, that same Cluster would draw 22 PU (10+(16*(3*0.25))) when 25% of it's volume is 'in use'.
    This will help considerably in routine standby modes, when the ship's cargo is not being used, but we need to maintain growlight/sensor/fridge aux power.

12. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Really, a container should only be using power if it's actually doing something (transferring materials in or out). What we need, then, is an active and idle power state for CCs, and zero power consumption for CEs. It's simple, and it'd solve all of the power problems (and one could do something similar for CPU when that system is finally worked on more).

stanley bourdon and Pear78 like this.
  13. Pear78

Pear78 Commander

amen, just like constructors, they use more power when producing.

my ideal picture would be: depending on how much you put in the containers, the system will be busy for a bit to put it all away (taking things out, same thing, wouldnt even mind waiting a bit to get big bulk things in or out). with cool sounds ofc.
    Immersion! and if making it an option in config, or start of game..

14. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Captain

My view is a simple one. Until they make the power system a float, then nothing they do will be right. They should be using Ohms Law to calculate power usage once they have a float that can handle it.

stanley bourdon and geostar1024 like this.