New Pressing Shift after switching apps in windows with Alt+Tab will bring up the steam overlay

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Silence, Nov 3, 2020.

1. Silence

Silence Ensign

Build:1.2.3129
    Mode:Creative

SERVER NAME:N/A
    SEED-ID:N/A

Reproducibility: 100%
    Severity: minor

Type: Controls

Summary:
    The steam overlay can be brought up without pressing its full combination in the game

Description:
    If the player switches applications with alt-tab,
    if both : the first key they press while returning to the game is Shift,
    and : the steam shortcut for bringing the overlay up is its default Shift+Tab,
    pressing Shift as the first key when returning to the game will bring up the overlay.
    This happens anywhere in the game that i've cared to test it.

**Tho there seems to be some obvious keypress buffering going on here, i haven't been able to produce other results of this nature with alt-tabbing. As a test instance, setting the "toggle hotbar" shortcut in the controls to "Ctrl+Tab", alt-tabbing out, going back in, and pressing Ctrl, didn't trigger the action or produce other unexpected behaviour.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Ensure that steam overlay is active and that its shortcut is Shift+Tab
    2. Launch the game through steam
    3. Once on the main menu, Press Alt+Tab
    4. Go back into the game by clicking its icon on the taskbar
    5. Press the Shift key
    6. Notice that it brings up the steam overlay

2. Silence

Silence Ensign

small update to this : shift doesn't have to be the first key the player presses after they return to the game, as long as they don't press tab. apologies for not noticing that

3. Silence

Silence Ensign

update : retested in 3136. Occurs.

4. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Have you checked if this behavior persists if the Default Steam-Overlay Key is changed to something else?

5. Silence

Silence Ensign

The short answer is yes. Here's the long answer

Assume that the game and steam were restarted after each test, as the game requires a restart for the steam overlay shortcut change to take effect. I detected no unexpected behavior by changing the shortcut in steam without restarting empyrion, other than if you were to expect the change to be live immediately. I tested this in Subnautica, Space engeneers, and Factorio, and the behavior's the same

In my testing, It made a difference whether or not Steam itself was restarted : not restarting steam made the bug occur with the old key combination, but not the new one. (not systematically tested)

i tested alt+tab, alt+esc, ctrl+alt+del, ctrl+shift+esc, and win, to return to the windows 10 UI.

ctrl+tab : bug occurs when CTRL is pressed

ctrl+shift+tab : bug occurs when CTRL+SHIFT is pressed

ctrl+esc : No unexpected behavior (if you don't try hard enough. see below)

shift+del : No unexpected behavior (if you don't try hard enough. see below)

I was able to force the bug on any key i liked. I'll only give you the repro steps for an exemple:
    1- setup the steam shortcut to shift+z. restart steam.
    2- launch the game
    3- From the main menu, press z+alt+tab to bring up the windows 10 UI
    4- Click on the empyrion taskbar icon
    5- Press Shift.
    6-Notice that the steam overlay appears.
    *Note on step 3 : having Z, which is the trigger to the steam overlay shortcut, pressed at the same moment alt-tab is pressed, is important.

**The issue occurs with the steam "take screenshot" shortcut as well (default F12), and they compound. for instance: setting Screenshots to shift-tab AND the overlay to ctrl-shift-tab, a bit of a condensed repro :
    1- alt-tab out
    2- click back in
    3- press shift
    4- notice a screenshot was taken
    5- press ctrl+shift (without alt-tabing out again)
    6- notice that the overlay appears

***I've made Similar (in parallel) testing using the NVIDIA overlays : No unexpected behavior was detected.

Germanicus likes this.