Project Eden (WIP massive random scenario)

Discussion in 'Scenarios' started by ravien_ff, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

I am playing on Hard, yes, is there any other way to play? ;)

I think I do get 25XP per plant, it's just below the display threshold, but I'll double-check that. I was also on slow levelling initially, and that definitely nerfed my experience gain quite drastically. I went into this start blind, not realising there wouldn't be the usual wealth of critters and other hostiles to shoot. So, I changed levelling to Normal and harvesting plants and other activities do see my level bar progress over time now.

Going to pop in-game in a bit, will continue my Moon excursion before heading back to base. Then it's time to explore the orbital playfield a little more.

Note: I was largely expecting space to be equally as dead as the planet, just with various derelicts and mined-out asteroids and the like. It's a little more populated though. To a degree I thought the moon might be the same, abandoned Luna installations - continuing the scavenging theme - and perhaps the odd resource desosit, it's more like a regular moon though. I sort of think that for a super hard start, the themes of the dead planet should be continued in space and on the moon. It feels suddenly very easy when I can mine again and gain good experience from killing Drones. Part of me welcomes it after a hard struggle on the planet but it's like that first SV has dropped the difficulty drastically. I did deliberately delay building an SV - I've had the ability to do so for a while - so I could have been at this point sooner. Not criticism, this scenario is amazing, just feedback on my experiences.

Scoob.

ravien_ff likes this.
  2. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Unfortunately, the Drone render bug has temporarily halted play. I found a nice CV Wreck to explore last session and made short work of the Drone guarding it, then saved for the night. Going back in today, the expected Drone reinforcements are arriving one by one, but they're not being rendered until I'm silly close to them. Fighting off the first Rocket Drone was easy, as I could get close and avoid its shots - rockets are slow of course. However, the subsequent Minigun Drone is of course able to insta-hit me...before I can even see it. A little frustrating.

Not quite sure how to handle this as my SV build is not designed for combat. Usually I'd just approach a Drone from above and shoot it before it gets LoS on me. However, I'm not quite sure how to shoot a totally invisible Drone that can insta-hit me lol. I might loop around and try to approach from different angles, hoping that it becomes rendered at some point.

I've had this issue for ages, it's in no way caused by this scenario, and oddly it's most prevalent on Moons - or at least I notice more there.

Scoob.

Germanicus likes this.
  3. StyxAnnihilator

StyxAnnihilator Captain

Trying out the "nuked" planet start, medium and no mass&volume.
    A bit disappointed that "Junkyards" are not the "original" ones, then a chance to get seeds (but maybe "OP" for this start). Rename them to something else maybe, Junk pile?

4. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Seed related you may be lucky to find even those original Junkyards. Let me say they wont show on detectors;) and you have to visually find them...but they are there, promise:)

StyxAnnihilator likes this.
  5. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Have packed up and leaving my Base on the Dead Planet
    To strive, to seek, to find_2019-09-22_19-05-19.png To strive, to seek, to find_2019-09-22_19-56-43.png

StyxAnnihilator likes this.
  6. cpontin

cpontin Commander

Visited around 6 planets on my first Eden play through and yet to see any Zascosium listed on any planet or moon.

From what I can see, the planets I have not been to are beyond 15AU and will require a CV.

Does this sound normal for this scenario?
    I’m not looking for spoillers, just a nod that I’m still ok.

7. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Nodding frantically ;):D

As in the games SP random Scenarios Zascosium is normally found on Lava Planets which are closer to the center star.
    Of course, randomly it may be in Asteroid Fields too.

cpontin likes this.
  8. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

I ventured into space and to the Moon in my Dead Planet start. Back at base now and exploring some more. I now have ample supplies and a suit of heavy armour with some mods, so it's now a pleasant stroll on a chill autumnal day :)

Oh, it took me ages before RNG was kind enough for me to find an Akua Berry sprout so I could grow my own food - spent a lot of time on the toilet eating that, though the yields are pretty good even if it's only 15 food each berry. I've since found Vegetables and other sprouts, so I'm pretty much set. Shame we cant terraform, as I feel quite at home here now lol.

I plan on sticking around a while longer yet and, ultimately, building a light CV to leave the planet properly. Quite fun this and I've loved the extreme survival element.

Scoob.

Germanicus likes this.
  9. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Does anyone else have "If only I'd found that earlier" moments? I just had my biggest one yet.

Just over 1.5km from where I eventually settled, I just found - while returning from space - what I recognise as an "Old Base" POI IIRC. So close to "home" yet, invisible as it's tucked behind a hill and doesn't show on the radar or HUD even when right next to it. So, mk1 eyeball only.

What a GREAT place this would have been for my first base! I've already found some decent loot - Fuel Cells - which I was hugely lacking in the early-game. None were to be found in any of the loot containers in my first few hours.

This POI, as it had been in past vanilla play throughs, the perfect POI to transform into a player base. A bit "leaky" at the moment sure, but I may well make it a secondary base just cos lol.

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, I ventured into space today. I was trying to find more resource asteroids via orbiting the planet, going up a few hundred metres, then orbiting it again. Not fun gameplay - space radar please Eleon lol - but I found the coveted ship graveyard today, with several near-viable CV's, and lots of spares on the one I don't pick.

My plan now is to make a Space Station Base to act as a staging area to secure these wrecks. The Base will give a location to rest and relax, as well as benefit from high storage capacity. My little SV can't carry much in the way of CV devices. So, I plan to build a CV cockpit at my planetary base, then pack some BA essentials onto the SV and head back to space. Quite fun this.

Note; it's a shame that localised radiation areas cannot be created - at least I don't think they can - because having this graveyard as a super radioactive zone would add to the danger. I've already overcome the planetary radioactivity, I have a Heavy Armour Suit now, but it was quite the challenge. Building a space station BA is more about a bit of roleplay than anything. I could just recover a CV and use that as my "space station", but I want an excuse to actually use all those solar panels I built before I knew that SP didn't work on the surface lol.

Damn fine scenario this, and something Eleon should consider as a vanilla element to the game for those who like a challenge.

Scoob.

10. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

I played waay too late last night lol. I secured one of the wrecked CV's in orbit and looted the others. I parked it outside my Asteroid Base while I tweaked things and got it ready to go planet-side. I even got a wrecked SV that was perfectly flyable and docked it at the CV along with the SV that got me there in the first place.

The controls on this CV were a bit weird. I.e. I could only thrust in one direction at a time. So if I were to thrust forwards none of the other controls - including pitch and yaw - didn't work, which was a little bizarre.

I scouted ahead in an SV to check that the landmarks I thought marked where my base was located were indeed the correct location - they were. So, I flew back to orbit, docked at the Salvaged CV and headed for the planet. This was a bit weird too as I was struggling to keep up with the landmarks, like the planet was rotating more quickly...or something was up with the ships thrusters.

I enter the atmosphere, not quite as close to Base as I wanted to be but likely with just enough fuel to get there. However, the CV sank like a rock, failing to respond to any directional input. It hit the ground, bounced a bit, but was fine. I assumed it simply didn't have enough upwards thrust - it's a mostly Hardened Steel CV - so I set to work adding more downwards-facing Thrusters from my salvaged stock pile.

After adding lots of additional Thrusters, the CV still wouldn't move. Though, oddly, the Thrusters wouldn't even fire at all any more. I thought it might be where one of the landing gear looking like it might, very slightly, be clipping into the terrain, plus there was a large surface rock that was partially clipping into the CV. I removed the rock and some terrain to clear the landing gear and got back into the cockpit.

The moment I got back in, I hear the Thrusters going max power for a second or so, then it stopped again. Basically, none of the directional Thrust controls work, I cannot pitch, yaw or roll, but tapping "o" to auto-level does work. However, the CV is stuck fast.

So, I'm a little stuck currently as I cannot see why this CV was initially a bit quirky, and now won't fly at all. I even cheated in some of the XL Thruster and popped them on the ship - they should lift it easily - but it still doesn't budge. Most odd! Going to pop back in-game a little later and see if more awake me can figure this out.

Shame about the odd CV issues, but the whole recovery operation was a blast!

Edit: Can I ask a favour? Could someone please check out this saved game. In it, my CV is grounded and unresponsive. I can't remember (it was late) if I'd done any digging yet, but some additional thrusters had been added and they wouldn't fire. Note: on loading this save, sometimes the two docked SV become undocked, they're gone (back at base) in my current save.

I cannot figure out if this is some quirk of the Scenario, a problem with the CV in general or something else. I know if I try to sleep - I popped a bed on the CV - I get the "Enemies nearby" message, which can't be true as the planet is dead. Perhaps someone who knows more can see what's going on? Cheers.

I can't help but think that the whole "Enemies nearby" thing is a clue of some sort and linked to why this ship won't fly. I'm really at a loss how to fix this though. Could it be something broken in the BP for this CV I've captured? I don't know how to tell.

Scoob.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    Germanicus likes this.
  11. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

It wouldn't be the scenario or the CV. But keep in mind, your CV may not have enough generators to run the thrusters, the thrusters may not give you enough lift, or you may not have enough fuel in the CV.

A screenshot of the stats screen showing the thrust stats of the CV, or even better a blueprint, would be needed.

Also make sure you have auto break turned on.

Germanicus likes this.
  12. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Well, I popped on one small generator just to get it moving, so it is indeed way under powered for what the CV needs. However, Eleon haven't implemented any sort of power limits yet that I'm aware of, so any Generator should be fine surely? It may be too heavy still, but the thrusters just don't behave correctly a lot of the time. Fuel-wise, isn't it a case of there's fuel or there isn't? The thing is powered, the thrusters turn on but they don't really engage reliably. The CV is behaving a bit like it's stuck.

Auto-brake is on, I think I've tried all the obvious things to get it moving. When I get back in-game, I'll throw in some more generators so it doesn't go over 100% load...not that this has ever been an issue before.

I do agree that it's unlikely to be the scenario. Feel free to load the save if you like, it'll show the problem. CV isn't really ready for use, I wanted to basically crash-land it back at base and set to upgrading it.

Edit: Damn, it was a generator issue! It appears that some sort of limiter has indeed been added to the game. That's likely why it'd only let me fire one set of Thrusters at a time while still in space, and cut out when I tried to turn as the RCS's then took the power. Never seen such odd symptoms planet-side though with sporadic thruster firing like that. I learnt something new :)

Scoob.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    ravien_ff likes this.
  13. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

The story with "you don't have enough thruster power because you have too few Generators" is quite old and happened to me back in A8.x when I revived a HAAKON but had only one small Generator and when entering Atmosphere the Ship dropped like a Stone while the Generator got a RED 210% overload.
    A8_310864_2018-06-13_06-42-15.png

ravien_ff likes this.
  14. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

It's funny, I've launched CV's that have gone 300%+ over yet they've still flown perfectly fine. However, I always try to make it so it stays under 100% even when hovering and thrusting in two other directions. So, when I powered up this CV - initially just to power it, not to move it - did a quick thrusters test and saw it go well over 100% but still move fine I thought I'd just leave it at that - no more trips to base and back - and basically crash-land it - which is what I did, but I had less control (none) than I expected coming down lol. However, the weird quirks I was getting with thrusters sometimes responding (though not moving me) and sometimes not, combined with that weird "Enemies nearby" thing made me wonder if the whole thing was bugged.

So, I think thruster not working when they go way over what the generators can do is GOOD. However, the game needs to alert you to this further as I've gotten use to "Power Usage 300%" to be totally fine from a ship functionality perspective. Perhaps I'm just flashing back to a much earlier game version, perhaps the last time I actually flew something that was demanding more than the Generators could produce was a long long time ago.

Btw: that's the exact CV I've salvaged from orbit. Always liked excavating that one, so was pleased to see it in space and still a CV :)

My brain is hurting filling in the block gaps though, certain logical block sequences - ones I always use together as they fit together - are all over the place now. I still hope we can get a custom "Favourites" tab - configurable in-game, not outside it - so we can do little collections of block shapes we use together regularly.

Scoob.

Germanicus and ravien_ff like this.
  15. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Alright, so started a hard start with Eden..

20190927185402_1.jpg 20190927185347_1.jpg

then I found two Wrecked SV's with some 1x3x1 thrusters:

20190927200132_1.jpg

and I have these mats:

20190927200137_1.jpg

So I know I can get off planet, or, at the very least, can zoom around a bit more comfortably, but dayum. I do dislike using the menu system when mass/volume is turned on. Bleh. Think I am going to start another game with it turned off.

Germanicus likes this.
  16. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Well, you LIKE to have the hardest possible option for a game start but you dont have the GUTS to face the REAL challenge with the M/V... funny:D
    Many Streamers/YouTuber's have faced AND accepted M/V now while disliking the pull-down menu that is not M/V dependent but Logistics...

17. [BB]Drifter

[BB]Drifter Commander

Well finally, after a few days, we got of the planet. Yeah, I know, we are nor in the elite since we have W/V off. That said, I would not play this game any other way. I like to relax and have some fun... :rolleyes:

Anyway, we followed a distress beacon that brought us to a derelict ship. As soon as we explored it we decided we are going to take over the ship as our own. Only problem; we have no weapons... :eek:

So, tomorrow takes us back to the dead planet to prepare for an attack. We have a fair amount of resources so we should be able to arm ourselves reasonably well.

I am attaching a few images of out special ship and what we found. Wish us luck lol....

383120.jpg 383120a.jpg 383120b.jpg

18. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Ooo, distress signal? Not found one of those yet. I did recover a rather large wrecked CV from orbit and had some power issue bringing it back to base. I had started doing it up, but I've a ways to go yet. The wrecked ship appears to be based on an older game version BP, so it has a few glitches. Great CV though, it's good to be able to recover it in space as an actual CV, rather than just dig it up on the ground as a BA.

I just remembered, I have quite a few extra salvaged CV Thrusters and the like, and I found a Deconstructor a while back, so I should be good for materials for a Warp Drive.

Only issue is that the CV is heavy being made of Hardened Steel blocks. It's going to take a LOT of fuel. Normally I'd just build my own fairly light CV and keep it out of combat, but this time I set myself the challenge of recovering a CV and using that. When I saw that one of my favourite CV's to excavate was available in space, I jumped at the chance.

Hopefully get time to play again soon...maybe Sunday eve.

Scoob.

19. cpontin

cpontin Commander

I had a problem with the scenario last night.

I can run it solo no issue but I tried to start a new game in local coop and my friend just gets stuck "connecting to server".
    If I run a vanilla game local coop he connects just fine.

Is this a known issue and is there a fix?

20. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Known issue. You have to run a dedicated server instead.