Quick improvement of elevator block

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Average, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Average

Average Commander

I hope at some point we consider upgrading lifts to something like grav shafts (which don't require the animation, logic and modelling that moving elevators do). However, in the meantime the elevator block, which is a significant feature in many designs and gets regular close up viewing, is aesthetically very poor. The white bits and the lateral beams are particularly ugly. It would be very easy to make a significant improvement to this. My suggestion is to:
    • Remove the sideways posts so the block contains only four posts (easily turnable for sideways elevators)
    • Give the posts a better shape, perhaps triangular or triangular inset/cut away
    • Allow posts to be painted/textured
    It's a low-cost improvement that would have a significant aesthetic benefit.

I certainly also agree with others that adding versions of the block with self contained walls (glass, solid or combination) would be useful.

2. zztong

zztong Rear Admiral

So long as they remain easy to pass through in zero-gravity. I'm having trouble envisioning what a triangular cut away looks like.

3. Average

Average Commander

By cutaway I mean its rectangular at the top and bottom, but is triangular for a section in between. Honestly just anything a little more interesting than four rectangular prisms. But the model probably isn't that important, I find the biggest problem is I can't texture it to match my base. With that said, the current texture is probably mandatory to aid player elevator recognition across any ship or base, so making the model a unique shape to replace that would be good too.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  4. zztong

zztong Rear Admiral

I'm all for choices. Square, Triangular, and Circular tubes/paths and intersections would all be appreciated.

Track Driver likes this.
  5. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

How about just a shaft of highly transparent glowing light?

zztong likes this.
  6. Average

Average Commander

If there's a way to do maybe a particle effect that looks good at scale, them I'm all for that. It would need to be neutral enough to match a variety of decour, and be colour-selectable to match base. That's actually sort of like the grav lift I'd imagine we'd eventually have if the dev team went for that.

7. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Just go with a nice, neutral color, like a light grey. Kind of need to be careful with particle effects though - they can become very process-intensive, especially in large numbers.

Average likes this.