RADIATION BURNS got you down we have what you need!

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by spunkykneebiter, Apr 22, 2020.

1. spunkykneebiter

spunkykneebiter Ensign

This update brought you by Polaris Medical Supplies.
    We have all you need for your Radiation Burns. Did you accidentally walk within a mile of a generator and now you have radiation burns?
    No supplies to cure the burn!

We have what you need. Did you look at the insides of an crashed CV and were instantly burnt to a crispy critter?
    Stop on by your local trading station and get all of your Antibiotic Ointment today!
    Fast acting, leaves you with only a minor gaping open wound.
    Don't forget to pick up a bandage for the open wound after using the Antibiotic Ointment.

Burns burns burns....You all gonna get burned... Antibiotic ointment and a bandage... will get you cured!

daddychillin and SifVerT like this.
  2. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

You don't just GET radiation burns. It takes a good 10 minutes of constant exposure to get your body radiation up to 1.0R, then you'll get radiation burns every time you go up a point of body radiation if you go over that. You'll keep getting radiation burns until you fix your body radiation levels with a shower, anti-rad pills or medical device.
    Most crashed ships have a shower and it requires no core or power, so you should be fine as long as you stop sniffing Radon.

Asmodan likes this.
  3. spunkykneebiter

spunkykneebiter Ensign

Might have been that way but I was getting them the moment I walked next to a generator. And those green blocks on the Derelict ship... instant radiation burn with heavy armor. Showered and still boom radiation burn.

4. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

That sounds like a bug. If you've showered and have 0.0R body radiation nothing can give you radiation burns without longterm exposure.
    The green goo alien blocks in the derelict ships only output 4.0R, so you should be fine for a good 10-20 minutes depending on difficulty settings.

5. I'm still trying to figure out how applying an ointment to radiation burns results in instantly getting giant open wounds that will kill you.
    I guess we are applying the ointment with a filet knife and slicing away chunks of radiated flesh while we are at it, or one of the ingredients is broken glass?......
    I mean if the radiation is causing wounds then the radiation should be what causes the wounds, not an ointment that is supposed to treat the radiation.

It's not just that treatment that leads to other afflictions either. There are tons of them and most don't make much sense.

daddychillin and spunkykneebiter like this.
  6. spunkykneebiter

spunkykneebiter Ensign

Thought it was a bug everyone was getting... But it might just be lucky ole me.

7. spunkykneebiter

spunkykneebiter Ensign

Went back to the Derelict ship and was not getting burned immediately. I restarted several times between visits. So maybe a reboot helped.

8. Khazul

Khazul Rear Admiral

I have only seen that happen (previously) when you were already saturated with radiation but had use a radiation treatment to remove the affliction but not the accumulated radiation which has to be removed in a shower.

When I first started playing this, I didn't know you had to use a shower to remove it so was getting hit by this endlessly for a while on my the first playthrough.

I only mention this in case this is what happening, but you probably know this already?

9. boolybooly

boolybooly Commander

10. SLI_Fallen

SLI_Fallen Lieutenant

When you get too close to a generator (or inadvertently stand on an running engine when fixing blocks on your ship. You WILL instantly get HEAT damage. Different than radiation. (and this makes sense I would not suspect you could safely stand on a rocket engine for very long!)

And yes , you WILL take radiation damage with the alien green blocks even with default heavy armor as they have rebalanced the armor to start with less as a default, but each booster gives you more. That green goo gives off 9 rads now. The default heavy armor provides 7 rads protection. You need one radiation boost (on the heavy armor) to get to 9 rads protection to safely stay in these areas. The abandoned mine POI was where I got "schooled" on this new feature. lol. I absolutely like the change BTW. Now you don't just sell off those boosters for money. You actually NEED some of it, based on the situation you swap out the boosters. I make sure every ship now I use has an armor locker. :)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    Vermillion likes this.
  11. Balthazod

Balthazod Lieutenant

This makes no sense I got radiation burns while in my CV nipped to the toilet come back and the garden is now 25 rads and 700 degrees c the nearest engine is 9 blocks away all mechanical parts generators etc are behind walls. I get less radiation in space then inside my CV, I moved all the engines to the rear and still get ridiculous hot spots and radiation. I am lucky my friend made me put it on easy other wise i would be dead every five minute from radiation and starvation. I took me 9 real hours to grow pumpkin. I parked the CV with nothing running but the garden lights and came back 6hrs later and the fuel had run out all the food perished and still nothing had grown. the mine I had set had only mined 230 ore but used all the power cells. There are a lot of things to fix. 12 is looking good but it needs a lot of work and so many of the changes are just stupid making it unbalanced. The power changes and the teleport massive energy demands make it so your CV will gobble fuel and run out fuel while you are off line unless you play solo game. Radiation and heat transfer means you need to build a CV the size of Texas to keep away from the damage. And why can you not spawn anything in space so I build a space base in creative and can not spawn it in game its space game why not?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  12. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Some of what you listed are known bugs and will be fixed.

13. boolybooly

boolybooly Commander

I just had a taste of this in a wreck "UCH Heidelberg" which has no fuel, approached a small engine there was a flash of red light and suddenly the avatars body was at 73° !

Is that a bug?

14. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

The power should be down, considering the Heidelberg has no generators or core. So the thrusters should be emitting no heat and maybe a bit of residual radiation.
    One of those wrecks-have-power bugs. With emissive textures half lighting up and thrusters glowing on wreckage even though there's no power or core.

15. Balthazod

Balthazod Lieutenant

I spawned a new ship the warp drive was behind combat steel blocks and had never even been powered up ship had no fuel no pentax in it and was turned off. I had heavy armour and 2 rad upgrades with a total protection of 20 rads and got instant radiation burn just walking past it.

16. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Rear Admiral

Then please put in a proper bug report with your findings. Give them a copy of your save game.
    Use the report format they provide https://empyriononline.com/threads/...uirements-known-issues-troubleshooting.47118/

17. Hawkie

Hawkie Commander

I am also getting random occurences of radiation burn, even when flying in an SV With epic Heavy armor on. I can get it standing still in a radiation free spot, and suddenly i am burning.

18. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

Check your body radiation levels, if you haven't purged the radiation from your body you'll get a fresh burn whenever exposed to rads higher than your resistance.
    Otherwise, it's that bug where radiation locations are moving differently from the ship. So when you turn around you're being treated as if you're occupying the same space as your warp drive (25R).

19. Hawkie

Hawkie Commander

I even had Epic Heavy armor, and With that I should even be able to stand inside the Warp Core without damage.

20. Freschmeet

Freschmeet Ensign

The problem I'm having is similar to those listed here, but related to heat. I can't seem to place my heat-generating blocks in a place that allows me to walk anywhere near them (even behind steel blocks/fully encased in steel). I encounter 800C temperatures when I'm still 3 or 4 blocks away, cooking my little brain. Any suggestions? I've separated my Large T2 Generator as much as I can, but it doesn't seem to be enough.