Fixed Radiation drops on item use/consumption [6231]

Discussion in 'Fixed (Read Only)' started by Pach, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

Mode: Survival
    Mode: Singleplayer and Dedicated Server (probably all)

SERVER NAME: Private server
    SEED-ID: multiple, but can provide a SP save game if needed - happens with absolute consistency

If applicable:

MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: DontKnow (not sure if this is what you mean: the .yamls were modified so the Snow world would be a player start, and have LightArmor and a few items on drop instead of medium armor)

Reproducibility: Always
    Severity: Minor

Type: Radiation

Summary: Radiation drops on item use/consumption

Description: If on a world where armor is not high enough to protect from the ambient radiation, the radiation counter can be infinitely reset to 0 by consuming items (food and oxygen confirmed). This may be all or part intentional (see additional information below), but it's overpowered and looks like too many items are doing it now.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Go to any high-radiation world in an armor suit that isn't strong enough to protect against that level. e.g. wear a light suit on a snow world with radiation over 4, so your radiation counter goes up.

2. Your body radiation will go up 0.1 at a time. After it has gone up a few ticks, consume something: any food (protein bars in our testing), herbal leaves, and O2 bottles (either sort) will cause the radiation to drop to 0.0.

3. Repeat this indefinitely. As long as you consume something before the radiation reaches 1.0, you can keep it around 0.0 forever, with no effects.

Screenshots, Crash Logs, any other Relevant Information or Download links: ( Note: for more complex reproduction usecases that require quite some "setup", please create a savegame and upload it to a service. Add the download link right here. Thanks in advance for saving us time to adress your issue! :)

I read about this "trick" in this post:
    https://empyriononline.com/threads/...ious-features-of-egs.46948/page-2#post-301512

When my gaming buddies and I tried it out, the food trick worked... but we were playing on an oxygenless world and I saw that O2 bottles were doing it as well. This may be intended for food (??? not sure the thought behind that, if so?), but I suspect that being able to do it with other items may be a bug. Or the whole thing may be a bug. I suspect that ALL items "consumed" will do this (I didn't check with say, a health restore bottle, or anything else).

If this is actually intended behavior, it may need reviewed, as it seems rather overpowered as-is, as we were
    easily able to control radiation at even the very hardest game setting.

If it's a bug, then everyone thought it was an intended feature and it hasn't been reported yet. :)

2. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Are you using a custom config?
    O2 and Energy Bars do not have radiation reduction, so this is not intended...

3. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

I am not custom configuring anything to do with radiation or food or the O2 bottles.

The only things I changed were:

- allow use of Snow world as a starter planet in the solarsystemconfig.yaml
    - change the number of planets of each type allowed in the solarsystemconfig.yaml
    - modify basic equipment in the Snow playfield so you start with light armor, an O2 generator, and a portable constructor (and a few other items like a few O2 bottles)

Considering I found out about this in the "Useful but not so obvious features of EGS" thread, that someone posted that this was a "feature", I'm guessing this is a core-game mechanic (not added in via .yamls) and should be very easily reproducible. I'll setup a game on my laptop and get you a video and a savegame so you can see it yourself if you wish?

If this wasn't intended, then I think I had better fill my ammo boxes and have the power topped off, 'cause there's going to be a lot of angry people coming after me for reporting their "feature" so it gets fixed... :)

Germanicus likes this.
  4. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

please do :)

5. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

Video link: BTW, you can see it happens with the health kits, too, but I show it being done with O2 and the herbal leaves, and food. I'm guessing this will happen with any "consume" action and is some sort of rounding/dropping a decimal bug:

I recorded my setup/settings, so here's some times to zip to if you don't need everything:
    1:45 is after setup and where I drop in
    3:30 is where I start showing the bug on various items (I had to wait for the radiation to increase to use another item, sorry)

Here's the save file:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=19t30kz3oYS_GYLfBNW9hZDvf2jUiwIga
    (I left you parked somewhere with an O2 generator running and some food/leaves in your inventory so you won't die for other reasons right away, and have some stuff to test with.)

Bonus: I goofed up the video recording, so I actually did this twice. Here's the first test file, different seed, same idea (no video of me doing it, but it's a different save file/seed to play with):
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/13d_MsA_MmoMUb3ebBJDcFWgL26hKER74/view?usp=sharing

Here's a copy of the modified solar system .yaml, and the snow static playfield .yaml:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H_SxYTc7jq9kj6gz6u8WzCZf1NuuL-JC/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BKkW4QR5srnknkMkoSUvAMFqjmiGOVOU/view?usp=sharing

(I litterally copied these from my PC to my laptop, and ran the game, so nothing else was edited--or nothing else should have been!)

Please let me know if you need anything else (I try to be thorough)!

Taelyn likes this.
  6. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

Oh, request:

After you review the video and such, can you post how much of that is a bug? I posted a link on the original thread back here, so the people who brought it up and were discussing it can come read it; would be nice to have a clear, direct answer from the Devs on how much of this was not intended (e.g. was it meant for food to do this, and nothing else, or is the whole thing a bug, and don't rely on it going forward)?

Then anyone else who reads that thread can come here and see what y'all said directly (hope all that makes sense).

Thank you!

Germanicus likes this.
  7. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

"Normally we don't use Cats as guinea pigs anymore!"....;)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    Pach likes this.
  8. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    That's not intentional

Pach likes this.
  9. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

Thank you so much for the clarification, Hummel!

Germanicus likes this.
  10. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Fixed in A10 EXP. Please Try it out

Pach likes this.
  11. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

... this was actually fixed in another patch, but I'll verify it's still fixed in A10. :)

12. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest