More Info needed Random freeze every few seconds.

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Levada, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Levada

Levada Ensign

I get a random freeze every a few seconds (somewhere between 5 to 40 sec) a freeze that lastsless than half a seond, it's really starting to bug me. I'm playing single player with a fact Core i7. The virus scanner is disabled and Performance Monitor doesn't show any issues.

Secondly, why I can't use Nvidia Control Panel to set Vsync with tripple buffering? It doesn't seem to have any effect at all for this game when I override it.

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  2. Levada

Levada Ensign

The move to the SSD didn't help, already after 5 seconds I got another freeze.

3. Levada

Levada Ensign

It seems to be a problem with the game. I just picked a random recent video and this guy has the same freeze, you can see it shortly after the video starts, around the 7m7sec mark:

4. Levada

Levada Ensign

I guess I'm going for a Steam refund, I'll try the game again when it comes out of beta.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  5. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

How about posting your full system specs champ ?

Have you tried setting the video card to all default, no tripple buffering which can cause stutter if the PC isnt up to speed , no pre-processing by the CPU also, a slow PC can get stutter from that also, I will run through a few things you can check, that can stop stuttering in many different games.
    V-sync, go to the Nvidia control panel / manage 3d settings V-sync / force off. This could be conflicting with your monitors refresh rate.
    Check your monitors refresh rate, needs to be 60htz min or higher. The higher a monitors refresh rate the sharper the picture and smoother the motion.

Go to task manager and open the performance tab, then click on recourse monitor, and let it load up, look at CPU usage and RAM usage, your looking for programs running in the backround, programs that cause stutter in the backround of games are intense programs like anti virus, seek and destroy, registry scanners, windows movie maker, TVplays , Raptor ,Nvidia shadow play , any game recording software, and a range of others, look at the CPU usage and see whats spiking, do the same for the RAM.

Almost all stutter problems are a cause of a bottleneck somewhere, and in most cases its low core count , low clock rate CPU's that just cant handle the huge amounts of data new PC's are running smooth.
    A weak power supply will cause stuttering as the video card is starved of the power it needs to run at top speed.
    A full C drive, even if its an SSD drive will lower CPU/RAM performance the less on C drive the better on a gaming rig.
    A mechanical hard drive can cause stutter but is rare.
    A horrible chipset on the motherboard can cause stutter but is rare now days.

RAM.
    If you can get MEMTEST and run a test on the RAM sticks and RAM slots in your system, faulty RAM causes stutter as the CPU then has to re-address, causes CPU spikes and ultimately a delay to send the info to the graphics cards and you have stutter.

Its almost always a program running in the backround thats a RAM hog that cause this problem, most common solution is to find that offending program and terminate it and test it.
    Alot of games HATE Mc Norton for some reason.

Good luck.

6. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

I'm pretty sure I see exactly what the OP is running into too, and what I've seen mentioned already in the bug thread, on steam, and in general here as well. Its not an isolated situation for just this one guy. Its bad code in the game itself (or lacking optimization where it counts to prevent it from occurring).

In other words, its not his machine. Its not his drivers. Its not his moms buick in the driveway. Its the game ;) It didn't exist in Pre-Alpha, and was the first thing I noticed in Alpha as annoying (first five minutes of testing even).

But oh, at least the game runs smooth 90-120fps as reported by a counter that doesn't take into account all the hiccups.

Numonar and Flermpick like this.
  7. carlos.deleon1

carlos.deleon1 Commander

I'm under the impression that the freeze is related to the change of sound from one enviroment to another, or at leats, that is how I percive it. Every time I go from indoors to outdoors, or from jungle to seashore, I always see (or feel if you will) the short freeze.

Frigidman likes this.
  8. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

It definitely is a contributor thats for sure. However I've also encountered it just by standing still and panning around. Certain directions will jerk and I seem to lose a good couple degrees and am looking further than I thought I would be. Its really bad with the Player Drone, as it causes it to spin outta control ;p

Flermpick likes this.
  9. Levada

Levada Ensign

Have the latest updates fixed anything Frigidman?

10. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Nope. Those hiccups still occur.

Flermpick likes this.
  11. angelight85

angelight85 Lieutenant

I had the stuttering when I did a AMD GPU driver update during pre-alpha which made the game unplayable, and stayed that way until Alpha release.

Now I am running the latest drivers and the game has some frame rate drops to zero for at worst 15secs mainly when in space or transitioning otherwise the game runs smooth.

Frigidman likes this.
  12. Levada

Levada Ensign

It has nothing to with performance, the game (when I still had it, before I asked for a refund) would run just fine, I never had frame rate drops, The problem with the game is short random freezes. I don't think it will ever be solved, because most players, you included, are just too blind to notice it, because I do see the same random freezes I had in every recent video of the game on Youtube.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  13. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

OH ALRIIIIGHTY THEN.

If you refunded an alpha game and are not going to stick with it till the stages where they optimize and cleanup code, well then, be gone then. Welcome to my ignore list!

14. Dotalot

Dotalot Lieutenant

Haha, refund for a bit of stutter. Someone needs to manage their expectations :D

I stopped playing for a couple of months and have had this problem since I returned a few days ago - I put it down to the server, but mostly completely ignored it because the game has just gone into Alpha. I didn't even start messing around with settings - these developers are the most active and focused I have seen so I will just try to be patient whilst knowing they are on it (like they have proved so far).

For me personally, I didn't buy a 'game', I invested in the future :D

TK85, Germanicus and Frigidman like this.
  15. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

I have tested every version of this game, and I know for a fact there have been a few versions with zero lag, but were talking way before alpha and all the extra stuff added now, when they added all this in testing frames dropped big time, they spent a couple of weeks optimizing just for alpha to run on the same systems, you cant expect a perfect smooth game right through alpha, but they did achieve it, the frame rates average isnt all that different than pre-alpha and theres alot of extra stuff in it, alot of people have not really noticed the sheer amount of extra code in the game, pre-alpha to alpha was over a gigabyte extra, multiple 50 to 100meg updates since, the games code isnt optimized much at all yet, its still rough as sandpaper really and has a long way to go, refunding a game for micro stutter is very premature.

There are plenty of games made on unity with heavy action fighting in them, its obvious to me that with focused optimization of the game code through the Beta development period game play will become pretty much lag free for single player, servers too given there connection and server spec vvs player count is at a reasonable level.
    Unity is capable of setting up multiple threads with a priority 1 handling, its pure processing power for example is from what I can work out about 6 to 7 times more powerful and capable than the SE game engine combo KEEN use.
    It is not as optimized code as SE is, thus a fire fight in SE isnt bad until 3 or 4 people get involved or a ship with 50 odd turrest gets firing then lag becomes a problem because it just goes over what the engine is capable of every second or CPU cycle.
    When Empyrion is optimized to that level things are going to get very interesting, a fight with 20 people in CV's with stuff literally going everywhere in every direction should possible in Empyrion and with bugger all lag, depending on players pings of coarse.

In BF2 I used to run that game with a MOD where you could spawn 128 AI soldiers, all ragdolls in effect, only my 8 core CPU would do it smooth, but man what a fight, taking on 128 chumps all at once, absolutely no reason Empyrion is not capable of that at an even greater number on a small map.

There really is so much potential for Empyrion, if they get the funding, the development I cant see stopping for years , this game and Unity 5 are also capable of doing EVERYTHING you see in MC including wire or redstone, it really has a huge future if sales go well.

Because Unity sets up multiple threads in enlighten and theres multiple play areas, they all sync to eachother the processing from one play area should have some insulation from a lag spike from another unity thread, it actually looks like a clever way to run a game, complicated syncing of all areas and files, and we have seen some pearler bugs, but Eleon are getting there and there fast and dedicated to there baby Empyrion.

Go Empyrion I say, best game ever.
    And the micro stutters, they will get sorted eventually but some of that IS your system related also, that can be anything from a bad sound chip to dodgy RAM, you cant lay that blame on the game code alone when thousands of other systems at a lower spec dont have the issue, that is evidence for a system issue really.
    The other simple fact is, Empyrions min spec are in my opinion a little low.
    Empyrion does need a decent amount of PC resources to operate bug free.
    Empyrion is a hugely complex game though, thats being set up as we speak to accommodate thousands of planets and systems, a huge task processing wise, I wish the devs luck.

Techmonkey, Dotalot and Frigidman like this.
  16. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

^

:)

I've done a lot of game testing in my day and have dealt with developers both good and bad, so I know when I see a failure team. Eleon is not that. They have their shit in order and then some. I see great things in coming days for this.

The eventual bad issue cropping up? That happens. It also goes away with time and development.

I think the worst thing that steam does about early access, is fail to make it very clear these games are IN THE WORKS. Kids just buying stuff expecting it to be polished and complete... *sigh*

17. angelight85

angelight85 Lieutenant

Cannot wait to see what they have up there sleeves, the tech tree I think won't stay like it is, that will become something more interesting, cannot wait to see what they have in mind for a quest system ( unless I have misread something and thats not coming) what suit upgrades they're looking at, and what or if the deco stuff is going to be used for actual purposes, like will we be able to use the bathroom stuff, and the beds and even turn the TV on and have youtube videos or something play on it. (They did this with one of the deco items becoming the warp drive fuel tank.) and will we see some of those consoles as research stations required to research items to be able to craft?

Either way minor FPS stutter or complete drops don't bother me at this stage, the game is alpha and we are reporting bugs and Eleon are killing them quick sometimes with 2 or 3 updates in 48hrs, that is a dedicated team.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    Frigidman likes this.
  18. Techmonkey

Techmonkey Commander

Would say it definitely has to do with unity, in another game using unity those freezes occur (or used to) when the engine is spawning entities. So like the fellow with tons of tech mumbo jumbo in his post said. Keep calm and play empyrion ;)
    eventually they'll have it under control.

=TCR= Big_Red likes this.
  19. carlos.deleon1

carlos.deleon1 Commander

+1, enough said...:cool:

20. daze

daze Ensign

I have the same issue (NVidia 970gtx), it's like the game is about to crash but it doesn't eventually.
    My FPS are very good overall, no doubt the dev will fix this performance issue soon or later.

Dotalot and Frigidman like this.