Recommended way for easy steam co-op?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer Meeting Room' started by andrew box, Apr 13, 2021.

1. andrew box

andrew box Commander

If I don't need to run a dedicated server 24/7, and just want to run it when my friend and I are both playing, can I use the "invite friend" in steam somehow? I clicked new game, coop multiplayer, then set a server password, but when I logged in it prompted me for the PW and the password I just set, which I'm 100% I was typing correctly, didn't work, so I am not even able to get into game to try out whether I can invite him once I'm in there.

I don't want an open public server so figured a PW is needed, perhaps that's wrong?

2. Passwords don't work correctly in co-op, and haven't worked for a LONG time now.
    The devs are aware of it but don't consider it important (for now at least).

Remove the password is your only option.

Even without a password the only people it should allow to join are people on your friends lists and people that know the IP and port.

Germanicus likes this.
  3. andrew box

andrew box Commander

Ok, thanks. We finally figured it out and did just that, it works and I think that when you use the "steam invite" the server may not be publicly advertised, but it's unclear.

What I'd really like to do is set up a cloud hosted option, e.g. on GTXGaming where I have had good luck with their Terraria deployment, and also be able to install eden reforged, so that we can all jump in whenever.

Do we have any docs on the current state of cloud providers that have Empyrion servers? Or, even better, something like a DIY guide for doing it using amazon or other cloud resources so you have full control. But TBH, I don't mind paying a little more and letting the hosting company manage the stuff for me.