"Reinforced Steel"? Needs a better name!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tyrax Lightning, Mar 19, 2016.

?

What Name Change for "Reinforced Steel" do ya like best?

Poll closed Mar 30, 2016.
  1. "Reinforced Steel" works as a name.

37.0%
  2. "Hardened Steel" sounds better.

22.2%
  3. "Plasteel" sounds better.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. "High-Carbon Steel" sounds better.

11.1%
  5. I like the sound of previously done name of "Durasteel".

14.8%
  6. I like the sound of previously done name of "Neosteel".

3.7%
  7. I got a name idea, how about... (Insert your idea of a name in a Comment.)

11.1%
  1. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Slam Jones likes this.
  2. Slam Jones

Slam Jones Rear Admiral

Here we go: some stuff on actual iron/cobalt alloys. Looks like they only have very specific uses, due to brittleness, etc.

https://www.google.com/patents/US6146474

Also, looks like it could be used in certain magnetic applications:

www.vacuumschmelze.com/fileadmin/Medienbiliothek_2010/Downloads/HT/2013-03-27_Soft_Magnetic_Cobalt-_Iron_Alloys_final_version.pdf

So, in summary: can be magnetized quite effectively, but is very brittle, to the point of near uselessness. However, certain applications are possible in very specific environments. It also appears that a small amount (approx 2%) of Vanadium added to the mix reduces the brittleness, and makes it somewhat easier to work with. This does appear to also have some drawbacks that I don't quite understand (I'm certainly no metallurgist :p) as stated here:

TL;DR version - Iron/cobalt alloy is generally very brittle and would likely shatter on the first hit, rendering it effectively useless as armor.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  3. =TCR= Big_Red

=TCR= Big_Red Rear Admiral

4. wrenchinator

wrenchinator Commander

Armor and shields and what they are supposed to protect against could be quite the rabbit hole.

5. Brokenshakles

Brokenshakles Rear Admiral

Yea, I think Nickel is actually a better adulterant if you want tensile strength, but its been a long time since I took shop class.

Tyrax Lightning and Slam Jones like this.
  6. =TCR= Big_Red

Looks like a arms race. We get better armour. Aliens get better armour. We get better guns, aliens get better guns. Really what's the point if it all equals out the same in the end? Better targeting and better AI would bring out the skill in a player more so than better armour I'm thinking. How do you win a Shooter game let's say like in Black Opps as a example. Player skills. Always.

7. Brokenshakles

This is why I push for a World of Warships type CV combat, because it would be a very skill based concept layered on top of such RPG considerations.

8. MechPilot524

MechPilot524 Captain

I think Reinforced Steel works, for this reason:

Currently you can tell that the existing hull blocks are hollow. Armor plate, made of the same material as Hull Blocks (aka Steel Blocks), not only weighs more but also requires twice the materials to fabricate. And when a hull block is damaged, it starts crumpling up - as if it was hollow.
    So to call the next tier "Reinforced Steel" makes sense, as you're literally reinforcing a hollow steel box with, guess what? More steel!

And other alloys can have a place, too. A tier 3 alloy can have strength on par or slightly superior to reinforced steel. A tier 4 alloy would be the strongest with comparable weight to the normal steel block. An alternate tier 3 alloy, solid steel, would be the most expensive and the highest steel variant, in exchange for being the very heaviest block. The tier 4 alloy would be a perfect compound made possible thanks to arranging the material on the molecular level for the best possible strength rather than simply forging and heating materials together. Perhaps call it "Nanosteel" or "Nanometal" in reference to its molecular composition. It might make use of a mid or high tier ore.

Disclaimer: I have not done any research whatsoever on metallurgy, and am speaking entirely from a game balance perspective. You guys who enjoy that knock yourselves out.

blutiger and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  9. Tyrax Lightning

I never knew before about Iron & Cobalt being brittle... that's rather disappointing... :(

Holy wow... this was an epic read... the Devs should seriously read this & see if it could give them any Ideas for the game... :D

Hey, the Aliens mighta thought of it first, but one thing us Humans can do as part of our sneaky bag of tricks is suck at thinking of stuff ourself, but sometimes find sneaky ways to 'improve' other people's ideas... & by 'improve' I mean 'weaponize'. Take Independence Day for example where the Aliens had those cool Shields & Space Travel vs us Humans still having our Space Program in its Infancy but we fixed up one of their Ships, then 'improved' it by having it double as a Agent of Hacker Destruction backed up by a Nuke! :p (Not to mention the Aliens were a hell of a lot better at working together as a Civilization & Species vs us Humans still being Morons at that, yet WE beat THEM by turning their strength into a weakness! A single Virus Attack on us Humans would never have filtered through our whole Race & took it down all at once! ;))

Ahh, Nanotech... reminds me of a fav Indie Game of mine called "Iji". ^_^

Slam Jones likes this.
  10. =TCR= Big_Red

Never played this World of Warships. Watched some on YouTube. So is that like staying at a Holiday Inn ? All kidding aside I need to check that game a little closer maybe play it.

Tyrax Lightning and Slam Jones like this.
  11. Brokenshakles

It's free to play, if you do pick it up, make sure to get the version that can log into the US servers, I will be happy to sail with you.

12. Navonil Mukherjee

so This???

EDIT: @MechPilot524 I am stealing your signature... I love it...:p

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  13. =TCR= Big_Red

14. MechPilot524

MechPilot524 Captain

Ah, Rebel Galaxy! Picked it up during the Winter Sale, it was tons of fun.
    But no, by CV he is talking about aircraft carriers in World of Warships. I haven't played carriers in that game, but I've played carriers in a similar game, NavyField. You basically operate the ship but also give commands to your aircraft squadrons, when to land, when to refuel, when to take off, where to fly who to engage etc. I think it would be great for a large CV which is designed to hold many mobile craft, except the AI involved to power this would definitely have to be a step or two up from existing drone AI.

Yes, I thought the moment was worth capturing. :) We should frame that quote in its own special Wiki page lol. The time Tyrax Lightning disliked a post.

15. Brokenshakles

No, I am not, I am talking about how guns are managed on everything except aircraft carriers, anti-cv Sv deployment is a long way off, and pure carriers don't make sense in space. Besides, making large batteries of guns is way easier to make work starting off.

16. =TCR= Big_Red

I go on my regular 6 days off in two days. I will take a look.

17. Tyrax Lightning

I am so honored! ^_^

Navonil Mukherjee likes this.
  18. Navonil Mukherjee

I am so tempted to do this... :p..

19. Tyrax Lightning

That would honor me even more! ^_^

20. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

haha you guys crack me up.

We would have the funniest wiki game page anyway !

Would you be happy if they changed the name to 'hardened steel' ?

I guess your not going to be happy they re-named it re-enforced butter steel !