Remove acid rain

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Menos, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Menos

Menos Commander

The acid rain that has been added is a very bad gameplay element. It does nothing to people sitting in vehicles, and it makes it impossible to play is you have just started. In essence this effect simply forces new players to log off while it is active.

2. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

I have never encountered acid rain on any starter planet. If you're outside without protection on a non-starter planet, you deserve to melt. Assuming your situation is in MP since people are logging off, that's a problem with your server's setup.
    Do you want radioactive fog, cold wave, heat wave and hail removed too? Those are all killers that happen on starter planets.
    It's survival. So survive. Don't simply exist.

3. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Agreed.

Nothing should be removed because someone died from it. This isn't real life, this is a game.

4. Space Beagle

Space Beagle Captain

NOPE, we need MORE things like this!
    You build basic shelter and you are safe... if you have problem on some server, then log-off and wait a little bit for weather to change (if it's that hard ;))

... if you have problem with acid rain, just wait to feel new 'heatwave' on some planets :D

(and it is a server settings problem with having 'non-survivable' starter conditions, that is not a game problem)

Bigfeet, Frigidman and Sofianinho like this.
  5. Damocles

Damocles Captain

Currently all environmental hazards are directed at the player on foot.

The dominant strategy is to not be on foot. The player is always better off in a vehicle.

There could be some hazards directed at ships, and not on foot. (Some kind of electric storm or so),
    Creating a situation where running around on food might be the better solution.

With a ground corrosive fog that damages vehicles, the game could make situations where low valleys on a planets are better explored on foot, to gather special resources. The ship is meanwhile parked on a higher peak. That would bring the player in situations to have to face critter on foot, not just pop them from the SV.

A special POI with long distance AA Missiles could introduce a tracking timer. That gives the player enough time to land the SV/CV on the ground, but not enough to travel around.
    The Solution would be to hop into an HV or travel on foot/bike to take out this POI.

-> Hazards are fine, but currently all of them just pushing players to keep sitting in a ship.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    TheGazbeard and EstebanLB01 like this.
  6. Menos

Menos Commander

Guys... I am talking about the OFFICIAL Empyrion servers. Please don't post random answers if you don't even have the slightest clou about the topic.

On the official very hard starter planet it takes several hours to get the resources for your first vehicle. You have to fight all kinds of environmental hazards - which is fine - but the acid rain is the only one you cannot counter other than by stopping to play the game.

An effect that can only be countered by stopstopping to play is a bad effect and needs to be removed.

7. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Dear @Menos

Well, if you dont accept the knowledge of other well adjucated longtime Players take at least this advice:

Post your complaint in the right Thread -> https://empyriononline.com/forums/official-eleon-server.38/
    and the admins of the server can read your "demand"

Because here are you in the common SUGGESTION - Area which counts for the WHOLE game

Thank You

Regards,
    Germanicus

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  8. Damocles

Damocles Captain

First of all, you are not the only one who knows the game. Second, if you want to talk about the official server, you need to state that you refer to the official servers. Else you talk about the general feature.

rebuilthk47 and Frigidman like this.
  9. Furious Hellfire

Furious Hellfire Rear Admiral

Sometimes you just have to take shelter, its just seen as part of survival by the community and the dev team.

I dont know how much damage acid rain does now but i always jumped out of my vessels to quickly gather stuff, you can even mine from your ship if you use a drone.

Sometimes you have to think outside the box, rethink your ship and strategy and you will have fun working against the acid rain I say.

Frigidman and Germanicus like this.
  10. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Eventually, drilling a small hole/cove in the ground to make a makeshift shelter will also shield you during dangerous weather events.

So just coming in here and willynilly demanding all dangerous weather be removed from the entire game... well, hell no. This is not "Empyrion Galactic Millennial-Care-Bearing".

Yunamoi likes this.
  11. Menos

Menos Commander

You cannot drill a hole in the first hour or so on the very hard starter, because you do not have a drill or any other means to make a hole. There are also no neutral POIs aside from the trading center, and all other POIs are heavily armed and will kill you before you can reach them.

This is not a request to change the official servers, this is a suggestion to modify the gameplay in general. This is in the correct part of the forum.

About 100 Damage every 5 seconds, so you die in less than 30 seconds when outside. Armor does not apply.

I start on the very hard starter planet, I land in acid rain. I pick the one bottle of water from the capsule, then I die. I respawn, grab my stuff, have absolutely nothing in my inventory (because hard starter), move ~100m, I die. Rinse, repeat, till the rain ends.

So your options are:
    a) Respawn every 30 seconds to advance about 100m.
    b) Log out and wait for the rain to end.

3 people that started there brainstormed for any solutions, but we couldn't find any other. Without any tools or resources you can think "outside the box" as much as you want, you won't get any further options.

If people respond with "there is no starter planet with acid rain" then it is a reasonable assumption that they have no experience on the topic.

12. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

And Still, You are playing on an official Eleon Server..did it occur to you that there might be a bug in the Weather conditions of that server and your "Suggestion" might lead the Server Admins to check that out?
    I have so far played 2000+ Hours Playing time 18092018.jpg of SP and MP too but I never had Acid Rain. Hail storms yes but no Acid Rain. Not once.

13. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

From the sound of it, the problem is not that there is acid rain, but that it occurs even in the starter biome on the very hard planet? I would agree that if you land in an escape pod with nothing but your indoor suit and the survival tool, that would be a problem. But, the solution wouldn't be to remove acid rain, but to tweak the starting biome on that planet to not instantly kill new players.

stanley bourdon likes this.
  14. Menos

Menos Commander

Acid rain adds nothing good to the game. It is frustrating if it happens on a starter planet, it has zero effect on anyone after the first vehicle. So essentially the only effect of acid rain is to get freshly started players to log off. This is a bad gameplay mechanic and should be changed/removed.

stanley bourdon likes this.
  15. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

It would be interesting to have structures take environmental damage of various kinds (acid from acid rain, thermal from being close to lava on lava planets, etc). We'd need some kind of self-repair mechanism for bases (but we need that anyway). And, if shields are ever implemented, resisting harsh environments could continually drain shield energy (but structures inside the shield would be protected as long as it was up).

16. Menos

Menos Commander

Damaging structures if they basically automatically repair (or not get damages in the first place thanks to shielding) is not actually a game-mechanic, other than that you get some nice messages.

17. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

I take it you haven't played many other games on the market? This is not a new concept, and exists in many top notch games both sci-fi and otherwise.

18. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Even with auto-repair systems, you still have to consider the materials and energy needed for repair, and the capacity of the repair system itself. And even if you have a shield, so that your only maintenance cost is energy, what happens when a Zirax strike force shows up and takes down your shield? Now you have two problems: Zirax troopers in your base and your base is being attacked by the environment.

It's a nudge toward minimizing your time in hostile environments if you care about efficiency and don't want a continual drain on your resources, as well as an intensifier of existing stressors (as most things environmentally-related tend to be). Also, it represents a reasonable form of gating, in that you aren't going to spend much, if any, time in such an environment if you haven't researched protective/repair technologies.

19. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

I love how this started as "Remove acid rain. I keep dying to it." and turned into "Let's make acid rain worse!"
    Though for fairness, i'm against acid rain damaging most blocks. Since it would affect POIs that don't have "magic" auto-repair by destroying spawn pads and cargo containers. The rain is called acid rain, but that doesn't mean it's a strong acid. Otherwise trees and creatures on the planet would all be dead and any acid capable of eating through reinforced steel armor would dissolve dirt and rock.
    Now, randomly applying the "Rust" texture to upward-facing armor blocks, sure.

20. Menos

Menos Commander

3 Days into the game I have enough resources to build the base in question 10 times from scratch if I wanted to. If you are drowning in resources such a repair system will just be a system message you can ignore.

They die in 3 seconds thanks to my defense. Because I always would want to have enough firepower on my base to kill a Zirax strike force within 3 seconds.