Repair weapon for SV

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Average, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Average

Average Commander

I think it would be nice to see a front-facing repair 'weapon' for SVs, basically with the repair aspect of the multitool, to repair damaged blocks on large CVs in a way that's a bit more practical than the hand tool and more mobile than a BA repair bay. It could optionally function as a full multitool, however due to the convenience it offers the non-repair multitool functions might need to be nerfed in some way. It might also be quite an expensive component.

This would add more variety to the non-combat roles for SVs, and increase the usefulness of a CV's hangar. And it should be trivial to implement?

2. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

If I had to guess, I'd say that this would land in the same category as drills for SVs, i.e. not allowed on SVs in a misguided attempt to artificially create differences between SVs and HVs to justify the existence of the latter as a completely separate ship type when it's really not.

All that aside, I'd say this sort of thing should be a no-brainer. And I think it'd work just as well as a full multitool, and it'd make sense progression-wise to go from the T1 handheld, to the T2 handheld, to the T1 vessel-mounted, etc.

3. WillEatsPie

WillEatsPie Ensign

I really like this idea, keep up the great work. I have been hoping / expecting a Multi Tool T3, T4, or maybe even T5 to come out for some time now. The T2 is just not good enough, while I would still hope for some kind of new or "epic" multitool, I think this would be an awesome idea. My only suggestion would be if they add this not to make it underpowered, it is on an SV and it takes up a couple blocks, my guess is it weight a LOT more than the average multitool, so make it work well. (It also probably drains a lot more power than an average multi tool) You can make a T1 that isn't very efficient, but there should be a T2 or T3 that require tech level 20-25 to unlock, and instantly break or completely repair each block. Possibly even an option to break chunks of blocks, ex 1/1, 2/2, 3/3, 6/6. This would make recycling dead ships so much easier, the CV and HV multi turret are WAY underpowered as well, they need an option like that.

4. Average

Average Commander

Thanks guys, appreciate the comments. One consideration would be how it influences the economy. If you can salvage large wrecks very quickly, that's a major new input of sath and iron into the economy (if it's significantly faster than mining the raw material).

In my opinion economic and component tweaking should be allowed as much as possible at the server-level, so some of the unique hosts like HWS or Venatus can experiment with different settings, and then good mixes can be fed back into the game defaults later on. A multitool weapon would be a good example of where that might be required.