Reputation losses

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by SmaugBR, Jul 4, 2020.

1. SmaugBR

SmaugBR Lieutenant

Hello dear Devs!
    (after all this time, may I call you "dear", as if you were dear friends? ;) )

Hello everyone else :D

I'd like to send a feedback concerning the Reputation system. Well, me and my faction in a private dedicated server (4 players in total) were working our hands off to raise reputation with Polaris faction, since we needed to have commerce with them. Working hard, we all raised our Reputation to Friendly. Everything was fine since two days ago, when returning from an exploration trip, I found a Polaris asteroid base. It was incrustred in a Promethium asteroid and, since we were friends with Polaris (which allow us to mine ores in their territory) I decided to try grabbing a single piece of that ore, just to see if it could be detached. To my surprise, just ONE shot from my hand drill and we all went from hard-gained Friendly directly into UNFRIENDLY, skipping even Neutral.

Points of feedback and consideration here:
    1- Being "Friendly", why can I mine their territory on planet surface, but can't I mine their asteroid?
    2- (most important) Well, I didn't know #1 here, so I can say I didn't mess up willingly, After all the effort we all put in the objective of protecting our Reputation with Polaris and killing Zirax; after all the hard work, why did a SINGLE act destroyed it all? I mean, wouldn't it be fairer if the loss of Reputation happened in stages - even if in huge chunks at a time - instead of instantly dropping TWO FULL STEPS in the Reputation ladder?

Well, in summary, we all worked hard but I messed it all up in just one split second, with one single act. Not even in real life such a thing occurs. Reputation gains are gradual; Reputation losses should also be. One second, we are trusted friends, almost like allies; the next we are full sworn enemies to whom their guards respond opening fire? What is happening? Are we living in an universe of full paranoia? lol

The worst: there are two additional friends with us in that server. They created their own faction. We've been talking about joining forces, with them joining our faction, but after this unfortunate event, I was told "better not, let us protect our Reputation". And so Paranoia hit me too: I've been considering leaving my own faction and becoming a lone wolf, because Factions are not useful (of fun) to keep... since as I did to them, a single slip and anyone could ruin it all for everyone else.

Please, think about it... and let's see what other players think about it as well.

Thanks a lot! :)
    SmaugBR

2. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

The technical reason is that the asteroid is a Polaris base and by mining it, you are destroying parts of the base (destroying blocks). Mining inside their territory only refers to planetary deposits.

The lore reason is that they built their base in an asteroid and some Terran comes along and starts ripping apart their asteroid. They probably wouldn't like that.

The in-game description on the reputation window could be made clearer to help avoid this confusion in the future.

krazzykid2006 likes this.
  3. SmaugBR

SmaugBR Lieutenant

Yes, indeed. I can understand the concept behind the mechanic... nevertheless, I still think it could happen in small increments, instead of dropping all the way to unfriendly.

Update: we are now Unfriendly to Talon too. A friend of mine told me why. When we began playing in this server, we were attacked by a Talon shaman, who spawned spiders. One of this spiders got stuck inside his base (he is digging a cave complex). We went all the way up to be Honored with them... and today, he stumbled upon this lone spider (which the game didn't despawned) and killed it, thinking it would be a "wild" one. Now we dropped to Unfriendly with them too.

I don't know you, but to me this system seems still unpolished.

Thor'sHammer likes this.