Resource size 15 .. MASSIVE o.o

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tina Pedersen, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Tina Pedersen

Tina Pedersen Captain

9 ... 15 ... 20 .. still quite a bucket to dig :)
    I did actually use worklights earlier. Took off from hom with 20, went back with 5-ish ... rest was destroyed thanks to shifting earth LOL :p

2. Tina Pedersen

Tina Pedersen Captain

OMG the math in this thread, has become mind-numbing o.o ... me and numbers.. ugh, not a good companionship :S

But... i´ll feed you numbers, as i clean out caves ... of all sizes... No pictures, just numbers :) ... or, if i dig out a 20... ok, pictures LOL

3. PhiPhi

PhiPhi Commander

I rarely have the patience to dig out a large lode in one shift so I'm not too sure on what yields I'm achieving, one thing I do know is that I want some advanced automated mining tech, it should be very costly to get and impossible early game, I don't care if it's slow but eventually the current hand mining becomes a grind.

G_o, Navonil Mukherjee and Mac like this.
  4. Tina Pedersen

Tina Pedersen Captain

+10 AGREED o_O

PhiPhi likes this.
  5. Mac

Mac Commander

Wow. That's damn close to what I got from a Size 7 Iron - 816.

Is there a way to "favorite" posts?

Gah, even imgur doesn't have that yet. >.<

6. Luis

Luis Lieutenant

Here's the chart updated with real user data. As I enter the info the yields adjust and recalculate and I'll keep this pic updated. Post your mining info to build on what we have... ore, size and yield pls :) Only size 6 and up. (I think the small deposits will cause too much variance) Also, pick up your ore often so you don't lose any to the magic ore vanishing trick.

(See updated chart below)

Note: Volume (cubic blocks) is calculated as 4/3 * pi * (size/2)^3

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    Navonil Mukherjee and Mac like this.
  7. Navonil Mukherjee

I know that but that wasn't giving the desired value so i just use diameter ^3 ..that's why I didn't say volume of sphere anywhere..
    I calculated a few more combination.. all of them are in the ballpark of what people getting as yield.. here is all of them..lets try to find out which one works better....
    second one is considering deposit as sphere and third one is considering as a cube
    [​IMG]

8. hoxer

hoxer Commander

A way to grasp the amount of iron ore is thinking in terms of hull blocks

Hull blocks = Iron ore amount * 2

So 500 ore will result in 1000 hull blocks

9. Mac

Mac Commander

All this makes me wonder if there's a "perfect" technique to mining. I've found a few tricks that yield a bit more out of the deposits, but the "chunk" errors and "floating bits" (missing chunks and floating particles) still eat up a few pieces, I'm sure.

I'm a fan of mining around the deposit, until there's a giant knob of ore above with an approximately 1M area mined around it. It works great for getting the bits outta the sides. But like I said, the floating bits and seams wreak havoc on my style sometimes.

PhiPhi likes this.
  10. Navonil Mukherjee

my yield till now...will edit this post time to time..
    size 5 neo--328
    size 3 pro--78
    size 6 cobalt --536

11. Baneus

Baneus Commander

So I finished the size 9 Erestrum node. 1484 ore. Then I emptied out a size 8 Promethium node and got 1226 ore. Though I think I screwed the first one up a bit, I left some ore sitting too long and it vanished :'(

12. Luis

Luis Lieutenant

Current chart:

ore yields.jpg

Navonii, your center column with 5*volume seems to be what i'm getting. Roughly 4.8 atm.

Baneus, ya your first deposit was about 16% below the expected output. Damn, never would have figured so much could be lost to the vanishing ore. I left that one out. :)

As Mac said there may be something to how you mine. one or two buttom mining. sloppy rock formation leading to loss. random ore disappearances. perhaps we'll only ever get an estimate but it's something.

13. PhiPhi

PhiPhi Commander

Ha,ha,ha, ha, ha, ha!!!! Sorry sometimes I'm just a five year old :)

Mac likes this.
  14. HeadHunter

HeadHunter Commander

I've discovered that if you mine those floating chunks with the drill, they tend to drop a good amount of ore. To make sure I've got the whole deposit, I mine the sides until I get just rock, and there's no color of the ore remaining.

15. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

Since it's a sphere, the volume is a cubic function. Pi is irrelevant and so is 4/3 because the input and output are in different units.

Each time you mine a piece of the deposit, it gives chance of ore dropping, based on the change in volume. So the yield is a function of volume (which is size cubed) times the coefficient of dropping.

It ultimately comes down to (coefficient * size) ^ 3 or coefficient * (size ^3) (same thing, one coefficient just needs to be the other one cubed to get the exact same results.)

Whether the size is the diameter or the radius also doesn't ultimately matter, the coefficient takes care of that. FYI the base blocks are not one meter, they're almost two meters wide. If you stand on the top of a size 9 deposit it shows the center marker being 9 meters below you. When you dig through to the bottom it shows 9 meters above you. When you dig from the center out a side and stand where the mineral meets the rock it shows 9 meters away. So the size matches the radius in meters, or the diameter in base blocks.

Navonil Mukherjee likes this.
  16. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

Totally. And then you'll end up with drones (or other players) attacking your mining complex or stealing your output, and have to figure out how to defend them. It would add lots of strategy to the game.

It would probably be easier to home in on a number if we pick a format and work backwards: calculate the coefficient for each result instead.
    Code:
    size    yield    coefficient
    15    8500    2.5185185185
    3    75    2.7777777778
    4    153    2.390625
    5    296    2.368
    6    557    2.5787037037
    7    816    2.3790087464
    5    328    2.624
    3    78    2.8888888889
    6    536    2.4814814815
    9    1484    2.0356652949
    7    849    2.4752186589
    9    1839    2.5226337449
    8    1226    2.39453125
    Avg        2.495004082

Looks like it's really close to 2.5 * (size ^3) or (1.36 * size)^3 at this point. 2.5 is probably easier to remember.

BTW the one vs two button thing, I did some tests and it didn't seem to make any significant difference:

(I'm still laughing that someone gave this a thumbs-down.)

17. Navonil Mukherjee

pi, 4/3 or whatever number we use they are all constant so does not matter if you reduce them in their simplest form or keep them intact.. but if you reduce them... they look very arbitrary.. (like 1.33) but if you say its 5 times the volume of the sphere.. then it make more sense...
    and yes size of deposit is its radius.. should have notice that..... :/ ...

and 2.5* size^3 is looks very promising..

18. Luis

Luis Lieutenant

Input and output are the same units. The deposit size we are using is defined by diameter in blocks. We got that earlier in this thread. Go ahead and count your elevator blocks from start of ore to bottom of ore. Therefore the number spit out is cubic blocks. (Won't matter if the blocks are 1 meter, 2 meter or 6 monkeys) All we are doing is trying to narrow down the output per cubic block to give an estimate to what you can expect from a deposit. Regardless of the formula used, as long as it's accurate we should get similar results if we are using the same set of yield data from other players.

Bingo. :)

Oh, updated again. Changed the wording to better show the cubic nature of the block references. :) Also, it first calculates the avg yield per cubic block based on the user data and then uses that to give the estimate for total espected yield, so i moved the data to the left side.

ore yields.jpg

*Updated with a bit more of my own mining
    *More mining, updated again.

19. Mac

Mac Commander

XXXX 9 - 1940
    Edit: Forgot from last night, just found the note I made myself ;)
    Pro 7 - 821

Edit 2: Cobalt 9 - 1940. Damn, now I gotta find an iron mine...

20. Luis

Luis Lieutenant

Mac, did you really mine two size 9 deposits and get the same yield or was that the edit? Added only two for now.

I originally wanted to know the ore you were mining in case each ore had it's own "density" which would affect the yield but I'm very glad it doesn't seem to be the case.

I wonder if they do put in some kind of mining bot will it have it's own "waste" percentage. Will it maybe not get all the ore and we just have to live with it? Cause, you know, you can't get good help these days!

ore yields.jpg