Rocket one shots avatar in cockpit, what about armor?

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by boolybooly, Jan 13, 2022.

1. boolybooly

boolybooly Commander

In my current game a rocket drone fired on an HV cockpit and hit it, the avatar at full health was one shot killed without destroying the cockpit.

This is not what I would expect. I would expect the enclosed cockpit to give protection to the avatar. I would not expect one rocket shot to kill the avatar in the cockpit.

The rockets do exactly 500 damage which is the same as avatar health.

The cockpit took 55 damage and the spotlight right next to it took 22, so how could the avatar which was inside the cockpit take 500 damage wearing a light armor suit with 20 armor, enough damage to kill him in one shot?

The suit is not providing any armor for one thing, because if it was the full health avatar would not die in one shot.

The basic cokpit should provide some protection for another.

So imho armor mechanic is not working as intended.

Image of repair tool on cockpit showing damage.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2718018647

stanley bourdon likes this.
  2. japp_02

japp_02 Commander

This can happen with un-armored cockpits even against simple drones. For killing you it's not necessary that the cockpit is destroyed but only that the side effects like explosion or invisible explosion debris are powerful enough to eventually kill you. It also has to do with what armor suit your avatar wears at that moment, without a good armor suit or if the armor nr. gets too low because you have taken many shots in the past, then you will likely die with the next shot wether you are in a cockpit or not.

Armored cockpits highly protect you against these effects - at least they should and that's how it goes in my game, also it's possible to build 'inside' cockpits in SVs or HVs altthough I've never done it but downloaded such ships from the Workshop.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  3. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

There are multipliers added depending on materials ( damage multipliers + blast damage multipliers). Also other devices and blocks can explode around the player and cause additional damage.

Was this in a vanilla game ?

4. boolybooly

boolybooly Commander

Yes to a vanilla game and nothing else exploded, which was why I included a screeny of the cockpit damage, which was trivial.

And what about the multiplier for the suit armor? Why is that not being applied?

The same rocket can also one shot the avatar out in the open, given the rocket damage is equal to the avatar health the light suit armor is not doing anything or the area damage effects are not being applied correctly to the avatar and are summing somehow. Either way its an over the top one shot kill effect and has been for a while. Previously they did not one shot the avatar suggesting something changed. Question is whether it was intended or accidental.

stanley bourdon likes this.
  5. Amethyst613

Amethyst613 Lieutenant

Could also be a collision issue with the projectile, it's happened before. The rocket didn't notice the edge of the cockpit, clipped in, and just direct shot you. I've seen it happen in the past where a guy's class 5 CV gets one shot with an artillery round as it clipped through his ship and took out his core. Go sit in another cockpit and get shot again with same armour level, see if you die again. If not, prolly a clippy rocket

6. boolybooly

boolybooly Commander

Interesting observation.

It may have clipped through to hit the avatar but it still should not have killed it in one shot.

It cannot clip through the suit surely, as the suit stats look to be integral to the avatar and the armor should prevent one shotting by this particular rocket but doesn't.