Salvaging devices can yield more of an ingredient than used to construct it

Discussion in 'Backlog' started by Garaman, Sep 24, 2022.

1. Garaman

Garaman Captain

Build: 1.8.8 3864
    Mode: Survival / Creative
    Mode: Single Player / Multiplayer

Reproducibility: Always
    Severity: Minor

Type: Salvaging

Summary: Sometimes salvaging a block or device will return a higher number of a material component than was used to construct it. Possible exploit, though highly RNG-based.

Description:
    I have seen cases during gameplay where salvaging a component that uses a few rare materials will sometimes return more of some materials than used to build it. For example, it is possible to salvage a T4 CV extender and get back more bridges and/or matrixes than were used to construct it.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Place a device that has multiple ingredients
    2. Salvage the device using a T2 Multitool (also works with T1, but is rarer)
    3. Examine the count of materials salvaged and see how that compares to the device's recipe.
    4. Repeat steps until you encounter a case where you get back more of an ingredient than the recipe required. This may take several tries due to RNG.
    Screenshots:

CV T4 CPU Extender recipe. Note that it takes 1 matrix and 6 power coils.
    [​IMG]

One example of salvaging a T4 extender using a T2 multitool. I received 2 matrixes and 7 power coils.
    [​IMG]

Another example salvaging with a T1 multitool. In this case I received 3 matrixes.
    [​IMG]

Testing salvaging hardened steel blocks with a T2 multitool, once I received 11 titanium plates (recipe is 10 ti plates + 10 steel plates).
    [​IMG]

Vollinger and ravien_ff like this.