Self Destructing NPC ships

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by boredoftheworld, Jul 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sulferon

sulferon Lieutenant

In my opinion, the self-destruct should have been delayed. Make it not self-destruct, but, say, "looting" by the NPC. This would give the players the necessary experience, and maintain performance, instead of forcing them to observe the "cardinal solution of the issue".

2. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Maybe they want to force remove these ships because if players don't salvage them it leaves blocks for no reason in the playfield. Maybe the game needs to remove the ship before another one can get in ? If not, then after a while there would be potentially lots of empty carcasses floating in the playfield, and... we know the devs are already pulling all the strings they can to improve performance.

3. sulferon

sulferon Lieutenant

I try to imagine a solution.
    In this case, it would be possible to make a "delayed self-destruct" AFTER the player leaves the playing field. Looted, left, the ship disappeared. There is no way to go back unless he was going to insert a core into it and expropriate it.

4. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I think it also depends on the type of ship. For "warships" they could simply explode, but for "freighters" they should stay to be looted, and disappear when players get too far or leave the playfield. This leaves room for imagining that while the player was busy in one corner of the playfield, someone else just stole what was left...

For situations where the ships are coming in for reinforcements, there has to be a way to "cleanup" the playfield that does not rely on players, else it will get cluttered. Another AI ship coming in and zapping the previous one's carcass ? To prevent Patent theft among other things... ;)

stanley bourdon and sulferon like this.
  5. Deadalready

Deadalready Lieutenant

I'm going to agree with boredoftheworld, reinforcements are just punishment on top of punishment, realistic/believable or not it's not FUN as a game mechanic.

• Players can't control if reinforcements spawn
    • Sometimes reinforcements force a player to stop what they're doing or abandon their attack
    • Sometimes there can be too many reinforcements
    • Players have to waste time and resources to fight reinforcements
    • Players get no reward for defeating additional reinforcements
    I can understand trying to reduce server load but perhaps a longer despawn/self destruct time and less reinforcements are a better approach. Perhaps giving players 10 minutes to attempt to loot the ships would be reasonably, alternatively let players have the chance to cancel the self destruct by killing the core (because nothing should work once the core is killed anyway).

stanley bourdon and aeolwind like this.
  6. Taelyn

Taelyn Administrator
    Staff Member Community Representative

• Developer
    • Administrator
    There not ment for looting. You got the OPVs for that the same ship can spawn there aswell

Kassonnade likes this.
  7. dichebach

dichebach Captain

Why not set everything in the game to despawn too fast to allow players to loot it then? That would speed up the servers big time I bet: more pew pew for the PVP boys and girls . . .

8. Taelyn

Taelyn Administrator

• Developer
    • Administrator
    The Frighter Timers > Can be controlled by the player
    The Planet Vessel Timers > Can be controlled by the player > Has a FIXED 15min despawn window
    The OPV > HAS NO despawn mechanic.

The SDS > Simple offlimits and will stay that way

I really dont see the problem...

runlykhel and Kassonnade like this.
  9. dichebach

dichebach Captain

The ones that you say can be controlled, I would guess those are changeable in the config files? Well that is definitely a plus! Could you give us some keywords or strings to look for in there to adjust those?

Kassonnade likes this.
  10. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

If I must spend my time and resources to fight it I should get to loot it. I really do not see the problem.

11. Taelyn

Taelyn Administrator

• Developer
    • Administrator
    Then you should have played on the Big Servers before the fix. Then you would have seen it and understand it. Since i know where you play you do know about it. But complaining is easyer i guess

Its in the Playfield.yaml > Look in the Example Planet and Example Space

dichebach and Kassonnade like this.
  12. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

Apparently you only know enough to make bad assumptions
    On the smaller server, I play on I have not left the starter. On the big server, I play on I have not engaged in any battles, or been near any battles PVP or PVE. At the time I was sending you logs I had only been in 3 star systems and was never within render distance of any NPC space ships. So no I have no clue what the fix tried to fix. I do know however that the fix broke lots of new stuff.

I will however continue to state my opinion that if I must spend time and resources to kill something I should have the opportunity to loot it.

When I want to complain for the sake of complaining I will go back to volumetric lighting!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  13. aeolwind

aeolwind Ensign

You're getting feedback about a change Taelyn. There is now no point to engage in space fights of any kind; it is all risk, no reward. And all space bases and ships are blowing up atm. You should watch Spanj's video on it.

If you can't see that you literally just killed a large portion of your content I don't see there is any hope. And if you can't find a codified solution in programming, it truly does illuminate your perspective.

14. Spoon

Spoon Captain

I have just watched the video.
    Reading the comments does not paint a nice picture of the game....

15. D K

D K Ensign

I created a forum account JUST to comment here. As a customer, the dev replies in this thread REPULSE me away from the game. I play this game because it gives me choice. It's an open world space exploration survival game. I can be a pirate, a miner, a trader, a salvager, an explorer, a builder, or even the leader of a faction.

What you have done here is severely limit our CHOICES due to game balance. Rather than adjusting the amount of loot that AI ships/pois have, or the amount of salvage we get from salvaging... you simply removed salvaging from the game entirely.

ALL space pois are disappearing, regardless of what you think, Eleon. Stations, static pois, static ships, patrol ships, drones. They ALL vanish shortly after destruction. Once a core is removed, you have SECONDS to salvage before the entire thing vanishes into the void.

You want to salvage the gargantuan ship that you just destroyed? Too bad, you completely wasted your resources on a combat capable CV.

Looting as a profession -Gone- Want to loot your wreck? Better destroy every block before the core.
    Salvaging as a profession -Gone- Wrecks disappear faster than you can pull out your multitool, dont even THINK about using that CV multiturret.
    Boarding/Refurbishing -Gone- You can't recore ships anymore, any of them. Same with POIS. Stations, ships, POIs with cores, all vanish the moment the core is gone.

You are destroying your core gameplay and then berating your customers for having an OPINION. Incredibly unprofessional. I can't recommend this game to anybody I know until these devs stop sniffing their own funk.

As a side note, thanks for telling us that it's configurable, and giving us no information on configuration. Then, when asked how to configure it... you just gave us the file name and no documentation. Do you even care about the game you are developing or your customer/test base? I went ahead and found it. It's in EACH individual playfield config, so no it's not really configurable without a macro or advanced text editing/database software. You need to change thousands of numerical values to configure these self destruction timers. I also took a look around at some specific POIs/Vessals. All of the ships that the devs claim have long self destruction timers DO, but they self destruct after 10 seconds anyways. It's a BUG, they just aren't willing to admit they need to work on it...

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  16. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

I'd submit that that should perhaps be turned into part of the difficulty settings; as it stands, is it correct that could not be changed mid-game?

dichebach likes this.
  17. D K

D K Ensign

It's actually spread through a bunch of Playfield.yaml files, so a configuration option is going to be needed unless this feature is changed/removed.

dichebach and stanley bourdon like this.
  18. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I'm actually okay with space defense ships despawning, but maybe there could be a way to have them drop some loot as a small reward?

Freighters, however, should be a much longer timer than the default of 3-4 minutes. That's not really much time at all.

Bases, however, are also despawning immediately. Note that this is for bases that are spawned under the drone base section in space, they instantly despawn apparently. (I haven't checked personally but there is video of it).

Since bases are controlled by regeneration and otherwise will not respawn, there's no need for them to self destruct since they won't keep spawning new copies to clutter up a playfield.

19. The Big Brzezinski

The Big Brzezinski Commander

This is immensely confusing. Which ships and bases are meant to be prizes, which are meant only to be opponents, and how are we intended to tell the difference?

dichebach, Cleff, spanj and 3 others like this.
  20. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Best to focus on finding Empyrion and bringing him back to his asylum before he kills someone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.