Sentry Turrets should have a smaller Magazine

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Scoob, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Hey all,

So, Sentry Turrets are very lightly armoured, as such they're regularly toasted quite quickly during the new Base attacks. Replacing turrets doesn't really worry me, it's not a problem, but losing a full magazine of ammo every time one dies - that 250 rounds - does.

I'd propose than Sentry Turrets only have a magazine size of 50, or even 25, but can reload a little bit more quickly. This way ammo isn't wasted so frequently.

One could argue that this might be true of other turrets too - and I'd agree - but they're generally MUCH tougher to take out. However, a smaller magazine for larger turrets too, might not be a bad idea.

What do people think?

Scoob.

zztong, ravien_ff, Bigfeet and 3 others like this.
  2. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

I am surprised this did not get more attention. This is a great idea Scoob and I would definitely vote for it to be applied to larger turrets as well. Scale it a touch to the plasma and artillery(they would only have 1 - 5) and that could be a nice addition.

Germanicus and Vermillion like this.
  3. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

Sadly, when a good idea is suggested that is generally agreed with it gets ignored because no one has anything else to add.
    I agree with Artillery turrets since they only hold 1 shot now, which means they suffer from their huge firing delay coupled with reload time after each shot. Not so much with the Plasma turrets as they only hold 8 rounds at present and fire at a matched 8 RPM.

Fractalite likes this.
  4. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

In terms of "Magazine"-Capacity of certain Turreted Weapons I agree. Must confess I didn't see this entry earlier:oops:.

Yes, to what @Scoob suggests. That should not be a real issue for the Devs and the community either. Sentry firing single shots, not bursts or full auto so a 50 shot magazine sounds quite enough.

Artillery wise we are BACKWATER, here in the 24th century, as the Artillery weapons of WWII even fired FASTER and MORE accurate on the given distance of 1000m....namely the famous 8.8cm... Even 15cm Flak brought it to 15 rounds/min

History lesson: Napoleons Old Guard Artillery fired their 12pdr cannons TWO times a minute !

Fractalite likes this.
  5. Bigfeet

Bigfeet Captain

I'd bring it down to a 50 clip. Considering the slow rate of fire, 50 still takes a while before it needs to reload. Wouldn't go too low on the clip as reloading time loses momentum wich can be crucial at times. This amount doesn't feel as such a loss compared to 250 imo and still is large enough to have it feel as a large clip timewise. So i second @Scoob 's proposal here.

Fractalite likes this.
  6. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

50 sounds great! Reduce their reload time a bit to compensate and I think it's a good change.

Fractalite likes this.
  7. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Thanks guys, I think this small change would be a nice QoL change - I like using Sentry Turrets, even through they're not particularly good. They are however cheap, except when you lose a full magazine early-game of course lol. They also feel appropriate to deal with Zirax Troops.

I do think Sentries need some attention in general. I proposed in another thread, ages ago now, that different types of Sentries would enhance the game. So, Shotgun sentries placed in tight quarters would be pretty cool. Long-range Sniper sentries to target those incoming troops that little bit earlier. Even Rocket Sentries for taking out groups of Zirax Troops. They'd all use the same ammo as their equivalent hand-held gun.

All that said, a key under-lying issue needs to be resolved with the game first and that's player position impacting the range of ALL turrets. I.e. I stand in my base and the Zirax patrols in the near distance are ignored. I walk 50-100 metres towards them and all my base guns open up. I know this is linked to the "live" range around the player, and doubtless is there for performance reasons, however, it really needs to be addressed before Turrets can work properly. Another example would be during base attacks. I like that my bases get beaten up a bit now, even when bristling with long-range guns. However, simply approaching the direction where the attack is coming from can see all enemies taken down before they get in range of the base. Even more extreme an example would be the player flying behind the approaching Zirax. In this case my Base can shoot the Zirax, but they cannot shoot the base.

Apologies for going off-topic a little in my own thread, but the underlying mechanics of Turrets and how / when / if they fire are crucial to any future rebalancing, though I think my Ammo suggestion helps regardless.

Cheers,

Scoob.

Fractalite likes this.