SERIOUS DISCUSSION: Motorcycle

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Jacoviz, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Jacoviz

Jacoviz Captain

So, let's talk about it: the motorcycle is a real pain in the ass, to use it, to hear it and even watching it. IMHO need a huge rework on physics or to being removed.

2. Thorwine

Thorwine Commander

Oh, we never talked about that before! Ok, let's go...

I never use the motorcycle, so... it doesn't bother me :D

KRanKO5, dichebach and Jacoviz like this.
  3. Jacoviz

Jacoviz Captain

Yeah but the game pretend that you use it so actually it's a problem. You can deal with it thanks to the hovercraft mission give you at start but the game make you build the motorcycle anyway and this bring only rage and frustration.

KRanKO5 and dichebach like this.
  4. Thorwine

Thorwine Commander

We already had the motorcycle discussion numerous times. It is an emergency vehicle. In case you got shot out of your cockpit, it is better than walking back to your base. Not for daily use. I always have a Portable Constructor (or 3 Iron Ore) with me, to craft a small HV. As I said, I never use this horror...

Addy, dichebach and daddychillin like this.
  5. Jacoviz

Jacoviz Captain

It's true, but the fact that it is an emergency vehicle implies that you have to use it in certain situations, so since it is present in the game and it is terrible to use, it must be replaced by something more pleasant to use or improved

stanley bourdon and dichebach like this.
  6. Thorwine

Thorwine Commander

I share your pain, but for the moment there are enough other things to improve. I already suggested in another discussion about the motorcycle, that it should be replaced by an extra cheap HV blueprint.

dichebach and Jacoviz like this.
  7. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

I say remove it.

Wheels in general should not be added - they might be important for our species as a serious evolutionary jump thousands of years ago, but if you can hover or, perhaps, introduce "walker legs" wheels do not make as much sense. Plus it/they do not need to be added to the game "just because people want to build with them."

I know, I know this thread is not about wheels, so, to stay on-track, my vote would be that the motorbike requires a great deal of additional side work for just ONE device/conveyance. We now have the small HV that can be repaired as a result of the missions or on its own and it is far superior.

8. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

(someone in Eleon should just press delete on that thing and pretend it never happend)

9. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

Yeah no one cares about wheels. Tank treads are where it's at.

10. Orclover

Orclover Lieutenant

It really should be a speederbike like vehicle with limited hover but decent speed who's sole function is to get from point A to point B very quickly so you can get back to what you were doing. Or for quick jaunts out to the edge of your territory for some reason when you don't need to drag your giant SV or HV with you. As it is now it seems like it should look like a bicycle, not a scooter.

stanley bourdon likes this.
  11. Jacoviz

Jacoviz Captain

Sadly i don't think we would ever see wheels with proper physics. ATM even vessels physic is hardcoded and virtual, there is no real physic in game. The hovercraft should float and feel the difference in the terrain beneath it, but it is not. I hope that sooner or later we will see an entire update focused on the physics of the game. At the moment what is really missing is the pleasure of driving vehicles which as they are now seem static and woody but i want to emphasize that I really appreciate all the work of the developers so far, empyrion is a game that I love a lot and I hope it will improve more and more.

stanley bourdon likes this.
  12. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Wheels, Tracks and Pistons + Rotors is a big no-no

13. jadefalcon

jadefalcon Captain

Rotors would be amazing.
    motorcycle I never use.

14. johnietoth1967

johnietoth1967 Commander

and control with mouse and not the keys for steering.

15. ukd777

ukd777 Ensign

I like the bike .

It could be better - yes ,
    but did anyone of ride a motorbike through terrain, I did and it's not easy.
    I like fresh starts and mostly stop at lvl 20 and start over somewhere/somehow different and use
    the bike to get around before I have a sv (or hv).
    isn't it also bad to spawn a HV /SV if you are not friendly ? I think the bike doesn't give penalty.
    just my opinion after only 1k hrs

16. johnietoth1967

johnietoth1967 Commander

The bike is a great idea of the handling would be better. I would use it allot then. For example, when it it is in your hotbar, just hitting the #key would have you just mount it. Hitting the key again would unmount you. I would use it tons if it was like that plus the ability to steer with your mouse.

stanley bourdon and dichebach like this.
  17. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

This.

Plus this is hilarious. "Nothing to see here."

18. Booyaah

Booyaah Captain

The bike is fine IMO, once you get lvl 3 you should be looking to make a small HV and rarely have to use the bike again. It's way faster than hiking it out on foot for 1 km.

dichebach and runlykhel like this.
  19. Orclover

Orclover Lieutenant

We always kept on in the emergency locker of our all our vehicles to trek around and do repairs if something damaged our main vehicles beyond usage. It's saved us more than once (or at least a lot of time) when drones took out our vehicles while we were exploring a large POI (very annoying). Its essential almost essential if you are skipping the HV's and going right for SV"s which we almost always do.

HOWEVER. With all that being said, yea it could use a lot of love. It would be worth it for it to be static (always out of inventory) if it had more functionality like hovering, more speed, ect. It already has huge drawbacks since it offers little to no protection from attacks and you can not even fire back from it. Making it a bit faster and giving it more ATV ability and better control would not be uncalled for.

Or like others have said, just remove it from the game. Although personally.......I would probably miss it. It's one of the first things we build on a new play through.

johnietoth1967 likes this.
  20. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

To the developers. What about replace the bike with a special hover vessel created like the bike.Or an armor add on, special that can be used with light armor and act as hovering with limited capabilities on elevation/hovering, speed etc. Like nerfed god mode regarding speed etc.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    stubert812 and stanley bourdon like this.