Fixed Serious Performance Problems

Discussion in 'Fixed (Read Only)' started by Druckwelle, May 3, 2020.

1. Druckwelle

Druckwelle Ensign

Mode: Survival
    Mode: Singleplayer

SERVER NAME: -
    SEED-ID: 482950

MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: No
    Reproducibility: Always
    Severity: Major

Type: Global

Summary: Performance Problems/Freezes

Description: When i play the game i have freezes every minute. Game hangs i think about 0,5 seconds no matter what i do. Using the software Hardware Monitor i realized that at the time the freezes appear the GPU Core Load drops from 90% down to 20-40% and the CPU Load goes down same time, but not that much. Maybe important: In Creative Mode i don´t have these freezes.

Steps to Reproduce: Load the game. Move around and i get the freezes.

Log attached.

Attached Files:

Germanicus likes this.
  2. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
    Sounds like it could be from garbage collection but it would be helpful if you could show this issue can you show a short video so I can see exactly what you mean ?

Germanicus likes this.
  3. Druckwelle

Druckwelle Ensign

Here it is. Hope it works. Never recorded gameplay. Attached dxdiag file, too.
    The clip is short. You see me running and jumping around my base and at the end you see the freeze. I´m pretty sure i´m not the only one with these problems. Following various youtube channels i saw this more than one time. Spanj for example talked about freezes/stutters since a while. But for myself it was a real problem since Alpha 12. It was there before, but not that much. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

Germanicus likes this.
  4. Pantera

• Developer
    @Druckwelle is the game installed on a SSD (Solid state drive) or a HDD (Hard disk drive) ?

Can you also attach a copy of the save game with you character left standing in the location from the video ?

Germanicus likes this.
  5. Druckwelle

Druckwelle Ensign

@Pantera

Of course the game is installed on a SSD.

Attached the last save from the game. Remember pls what i wrote in first Post. When the freeze happens my GPU load drops a lot for this short time. Same for CPU load, but here is the drop smaller. It´s like the game stops using it for this short moment.

Hope you can find a solution. I love this game and i want to play it without these lags.

Attached Files:

Germanicus likes this.
  6. Pantera

• Developer
    @Druckwelle thanks for the save unfortunately I cannot reproduce such a "Freeze" in this location like your video shows (either by moving away & returning or hanging around the base you have setup).

Germanicus likes this.
  7. Druckwelle

Druckwelle Ensign

@Pantera

I have to find a solution. Could you tell me your Nvidia 3d Settings please? Anything special i have to look for?
    I have these freezes exactly every minute when i move in the game even with antivirus turned off. Is there anything
    the game engine is doing in a 1 minute schedule?

Germanicus likes this.
  8. Pantera

• Developer
    When selecting EGS in the Nvidia control panel for me everything is default except:
    Power management = Prefer maximum performance
    Triple buffering = On
    V-sync = Fast

Germanicus likes this.
  9. Druckwelle

Druckwelle Ensign

Many thanks Pantera. I´ll try this.

Germanicus likes this.
  10. Druckwelle

Druckwelle Ensign

Ok, have to come back here. I made a list of things to try to improve my performance in Alpha 12. Performance overall is ok, but the stutters/freezes every minute aren´t.

What did i do (not in this order):

1. Tried the suggested Nvidia Control Panel Settings
    2. Deactivated Antivirus
    3. Tried to lower RAM speed to get more stability (my system is not really unstable in other programs/games)
    4. Reverted game back to 11.6 and tried my last game. Very little hickups !
    5. Driver updates (BIOS was latest)
    6. Benchmarktest to set the whole System under stress, especially the GPU (no problems)
    7. A thing i wanted to do since a while. Changed my PSU since it was old and had only little reserve.

So all this together i can now say that it is not a hardware problem on my side. At least no obvious.
    These drops in GPU Core Load i produce ONLY in Empyrion. There has to be something. Hope this helps.

edit: Even a fresh game with actual Alpha12 had these freezes.

Germanicus likes this.
  11. Druckwelle

Druckwelle Ensign

After some more work and testing i think i found the problem. And it was indeed my PC. I started to shutdown background services
    my PC don´t really need and obviously the ones from Acronis Drive Image has been a serious problem for Empyrion Alpha 12. Since i deleted them i have only the normal stutters. Not really fluid gameplay, but no gamebreaker as it was before. Just to let you know.

Myrmidon and Germanicus like this.
  12. Pantera

• Developer
    Thanks for getting back & it's good to hear you found the cause.
    As for the other hitches afaik it mostly comes from garbage collection when time permits we'll try to see what more can be done with what can be reproduced.

Pach and Germanicus like this.