Server changed from an Ethernet connection to wireless. Server not working anymore

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nickthestick123, Jan 10, 2021.

1. nickthestick123

nickthestick123 Ensign

Hi all, I have a server i run every now and then on my laptop (which mean every time i start it up, i have to go through the whole "okay, why is the server not working now?" dance. internal IP change, game update, etc)

Anyways, the old placement of my laptop wasnt great, so i put it down stairs so i could hook it up to my TV. I tried to start up the server to make sure everything worked. I checked for an update, i changed the internal IP to match my laptop again, on the Game Server Manager and on the port forwarding of my router. I fired it up and theserver popped up on the Game Server Manager, but not on the server list on Empyrion. I havent touched anything else since the last time it worked, and there actually wasnt a new update i needed, so 1.3.3 was still a valid build.

I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts on what im doing wrong or if there are special things i have to switch when going from wired to wireless

Also let me know what files, if any, you need to see

2. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

We dont offer a bind to IP function with Empyrion so the Server takes what windows tells it to take

If you want it changed you have to play around with the Windows Metric option on the adapters. The lowest Metric is picked by Windows first.
    So set the Metric of the LAN Card lower then the Wireless Card. Then the Server should pick the LAN Card to work with

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...r/networking/automatic-metric-for-ipv4-routes

nickthestick123 likes this.
  3. SylenThunder

SylenThunder Captain

Yep, it's a real issue. Unity has the ability to allow the bind to IP option, but it's not enabled in EGS. I had a thread on this a while ago. It's a major shortcoming for the dedicated server program, and I have no clue why Eleon would choose to leave out a feature as important as this one.

Outside of setting the metrics and custom ID'ing adapters, there is no good way to force it to use a single adapter. If the wireless is the only active adapter, it should choose it, but I would advise strongly against using Wifi for a server.

nickthestick123 and zaphodikus like this.
  4. nickthestick123

nickthestick123 Ensign

Okay, so, just to be clear, it's not me being an idiot and missing something silly when I'm trying to set up my server on my laptop downstairs when my router is upstairs?

5. Xango2000

Xango2000 Captain

How long ago was the last time you ran a server?
    They added a setting to hide your server from the server list awhile back.

Can you connect to your server using its IP address?

6. zaphodikus

zaphodikus Captain

My assuming here is. That your laptop will have 2 IP addresses on the LAN, but only one egress address, and possibly 2 ports NAT'd on the router, if your router allows traffic to the "wrong" adapter, then this is what you will get, may need to open/NAT both the wifi and wired addresses on the router.

7. nickthestick123

nickthestick123 Ensign

So I ran it a few weeks ago, and i've been aware of the hide server function which i thought has been a thing for the last few months. I can run the server with no real difficulty if the laptop is on a wired connection

8. SylenThunder

SylenThunder Captain

So your issue is when you're using wireless.

Which isn't real surprising. Wifi is pretty weak for hosting a server on with 95% of the devices available to consumers. Add to that the fact that Wifi is a horizontal signal and does not travel vertically very well, and you're just shooting yourself in the foot even more by being below the router. Even with high-end equipment you're going to have signal issues going vertically.

9. nickthestick123

nickthestick123 Ensign

right, when im wireless, i dont even see the server on the server list. 400/20mbps internet with a NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000 router. I just biting the bullet and drilling through my floor to the outside of the house in my houses overhang. Im going to run an ethernet into the office downstairs and through the wall port so I can have my wired connection in the man cave area

10. SylenThunder

SylenThunder Captain

You could use EoP also. Should be capable of at least 400Mbps in most cases.

11. nickthestick123

nickthestick123 Ensign

I'm not sure i'd know how to do it, but i think my plan is the best possible for myself

12. Xango2000

Xango2000 Captain

EoP uses your household electrical wiring as a network cable, should be as easy as just making the connections. It will cause a tiny amount of additional lag though.