Ship Design Competition

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Nauttdog (naut-T-dog), Mar 12, 2017.

?

Would you like to see a ship design competition?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Sign me up!

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Nauttdog (naut-T-dog)

Empyrion has a lot of great ship designers and I'm constantly amazed at the unique ideas I see implemented and the creativity that goes behind them. I was thinking how great would it be if theses great designers put their heads together and collaborated on some ships. To that end, maybe Empyrion could help support an effort like this. Similar to how Star Citizen had "The Next Great Starship" competition. I was thinking it would be great to have an official competition for ship building. There could be one for each category. HV, SV, CV, and Base. Teams of at least 2-5 people. I can't even imagine some of the awesome ships some of these designers would come up with when working together. I hope Eleon will do something like this!

Sofianinho likes this.
  2. GTv

GTv Rear Admiral

I would participate in this if it were for individuals only, not teams, and if we were able to retain the rights of ownership of our designs. I hate companies saying" all submissions become the sole property of the company running the contest. That has kept me out of a lot of competitions and I doubt I am the only one that feels this way.

ion_storm likes this.
  3. Nauttdog (naut-T-dog)

I agree with the second part of your post. I do think teams should be required though. I don't know if you saw The Next Great Starship, but part of the reasoning is to get talented designers together to create something bigger and better than they could do alone. There are already plenty of designers who are making ships solo in the workshop. This contest would be to foster collaborative builds.

4. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Well, you do know that everything you create and share on the workshop or anywhere, it is the property of Eleon, and they have the right to do whatever they want with it. The only ownership rights you have is to say you originally created it.

5. GTv

GTv Rear Admiral

That's exactly why I don't share things on the workshop. :)

6. Kieve

Kieve Rear Admiral

As an artist, I respect the intent behind this sentiment. However:
    • If Eleon elects to use someone's design, they need that kind of "legal safety net" in order to make sure they don't end up in a situation where that person decides to pull their content for some reason and/or threatens legal action for using it. And from previous conversations with EGS staff, I can tell you they are acutely aware of the myriad legal headaches that accompany any kind of user-submitted content.
    • Any "we own this now" claim is specific to the game and its assets - basically, you built it with their Lego set, they're just affirming ownership.
      Doesn't matter, it's still their "property," in as much as anything digital can be.
      • I'm not a legal expert, this is just my understanding so far:
      • No Problems - Building a design, claimed by EGS, rebuilding in Space Engineers or wherever, same block shape.
      • Problems - Build design, EGS claims it, using mods to replicate build exactly, including textures, color scheme, and devices.
    Honestly, I've been through this debate on both sides, and it really comes down to common sense. For raw content like artwork, music / sfx, or other graphical assets, there's a decent argument to be made for user ownership if it doesn't specifically feature existing game / company assets, because it could conceivably be used elsewhere. For derivative work like "building a voxel spaceship in-game," you can't really make a good case because everything you're using is already owned by the company, and* is useless outside of that context.

Bottom line, when companies do this, it's not about depriving an artist of their work, it's about making sure that artist can't backstab the company.

*Because I know some quibbler is going to bring up a pointless comparison like sculptors and Play-Doh, no, physical medium does not equate because you are not displaying your work outside the context of the game itself. And if you did export assets in order to recreate your work externally, you'd already be in hot water for ripping game content.

Frigidman likes this.
  7. GTv

GTv Rear Admiral

Well if they want to brute force their way into my system just to copy my design I think there are legal remedies already in place. Lol.
    It's a safe bet they won't be doing that anytime soon.

8. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

If you don't share it anywhere on the internet, it will remain safe and in your game and your game only. If you post a screenshot of it, I doubt anyone will bother replicating what you made, because I doubt anyone would want to bother.

9. GTv

GTv Rear Admiral

Exactly. :)