Fixed Ships don't auto level with playfield on Creative Orbit [7439]

Discussion in 'Fixed (Read Only)' started by Sephrajin, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

Mode: Survival
    Mode: Singleplayer

SERVER NAME: (If the issue happened on a public server, please add the name here)
    SEED-ID:

Reproducibility: Always
    Severity: Minor

Type: Playfield, Global, Space

Summary:
    Strucutures oriented with 'o' in space are in an upside down - 45° angle.

Description:
    While testing my old ships for CP & MV in a new A12 singleplayer game I 'ran' accross this situation.
    I flew into space from orbit, and oriented 'myself' (the ship) using 'o'.

I left the cockpit to find myself upside down in the CV.
    This is very annoying when one wants to test one's ships for MV/CPU...

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Spawn a vessel
    2. Press 'o'

Other Media:

RazzleWin and nj_87 like this.
  2. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

If you're close to a planet, the O key orients you to the planet instead of to the space playfield plane. :(

3. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Mode: Creative
    Mode: Singleplayer

SERVER NAME: NA
    SEED-ID: Any

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: No

Reproducibility: Always
    Severity: Major

Type: Ship Autolevel

Summary: When holding the "O" key to auto level a ship in creative orbit, the ship does not align with the playfield plane (the orientation you face while in god mode).

Description: Ships in creative temperate orbit do not align to the plane of the playfield when you use O to auto level them. This makes building in god mode a PAIN because you'll have to manually orient the ships to the plane of the playfield by eye.

Steps to Reproduce:
    Create a new creative game and select the temperate orbit as your starting location.
    Enable god mode.
    Spawn a new CV or SV.
    Get in the pilot seat and hold the O key to level the ship.
    Get out of the pilot's seat.

Screenshots, Crash Logs, any other Relevant Information or Download links:
    All screenshots taken in god mode after leveling out the ship with the O key.
    20200703033631_1.jpg 20200703033627_1.jpg 20200703033634_1.jpg

This is also sometimes a problem around the orbit of many planets in survival. Without autolevel, it makes it hard to dock ships to other ships or to land a ship on a base.

Germanicus likes this.
  4. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I can confirm it is also the case in survival, with all stock new ships (and mine too), for 2 different games started with lates version. Ships level OK on planet, but when in space they just get to a weird angle relative to the planet rings, for example, which should be the space "horizontal" plane. In god mode, rotating the player makes the camera also go in weird angles...

Germanicus likes this.
  5. Booyaah

Booyaah Captain

Hi,

I didn't notice this until A12 in creative, but once you O align a ship, then go back into god mode the ship is rotated at a 90 degree angle to the player in god mode, making it incredibly annoying to do anything. I know it was not like this before. Please align the god mode orientation to be on the same axis as the ship's O align plane.

You can easily test this in creative, O align a ship, go into god mode, and you will be at a 90 angle, it will appear the ship is turned on its side relative to you.

ravien_ff, Sephrajin and Vermillion like this.
  6. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

Mode: Survival
    Mode: Peer2Peer Coop

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: No

Reproducibility: (Always)
    Severity: (Minor)

Type: (Global )

Summary: Ship orientated with "O" is not truly up

Description:In our starting solar system all is well, but we flew to another system and I always orient the CV with O before we move on. In the hanger I went into God mode and I could not stant up straight. I was sideways and the keys were all weird. Back was up the left was something else.

After warping back to our own world all is fine. Warp back to the last system and it happens all over again. Something is wrong in that solar system.

Thanks guys!

Steps to Reproduce: See above.

Germanicus likes this.
  7. jbrown

jbrown Commander

I have this problem, too. In my starting system, O oriented ships correctly, so if you placed a space station, you could use O to align the ship to it (preventing gravity conflicts). Traveling to any other system, and O no longer orients ships correctly. If you place a space station, it's oriented to that system's correct up and down, but the space ship will not be. It seems to have a different alignment, off axes by as much as 90 degrees, but not the same amount each time.

Further, in creative, this is a problem right out of the gate, with ships being built in orbit not sharing the same up down as the space station. If you pilot the capital ship already present next to the station, it, too, will orient off axis to the station if you hit O.

Is this a permanent inherited bug for everything we create, or will it be something that a later patch globally fixes for all vessels? I don't want to build anything else if they'll all be borked ;-).

I noticed this a couple of patches ago, but, sorry, not 100% certain if it was with the live launch of 12, or was present in the experimental versions.

I'm having the issue in Eden Alpha 12, but also in creative mode. I've not played outside of Eden in Alpha 12 live, thus far, so not sure if it's present there, as well.

No other mods. Playfields don't seem to matter. Your starter playfield seems okay, but once you warp, everywhere else seems bonkers.

8. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

For me it seems to be fixed now, Build: 12.2.1 2971

Pach and ravien_ff like this.
  9. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
    When you are within roughly 6250km of a planet in orbit f.ex the temperate planet in the creative orbit start it can happen then outside of that distance from around 6400km it should then level to the same plane the player levels out to the "Playfield plane".
    It will be looked at when possible.

10. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

Nice, but it was the same place it happend... :confused:o_O
    20200716031050_1.jpg

Then again, 'this' (screenshot) is obviously in creative mode, so that is fine :D

EDIT:
    Since I didnt play in A10 & 11, idk what orientation the vessels should have with 'o'.
    Either way, in that case.. it would be nice (QoL) if the block-placing plane would be the same as the orientation plane.

Because if those 2 3 are not the same, sorry to say, but then orientation is worthless in my opinion.

EDIT2 :
    Likewise for GM-plane (Creative + server admins).

EDIT3 - Distance 7km (Same orientation):
    20200716032155_1.jpg

EDIT4:
    .. i'm going for a record...
    Ooor... as I just figured/thought....

Would the orientation be according to the structure place in revelvance to the 'turn'-angle of the planet itself which is set in the yaml?
    (Also ist die Orientierung anhand der Drehachse des Planeten abhängig davon wo das Object im All platziert wurde? )

So I fly just above the planetery entry and find orbital stations, with their bottom to the planet?
    That is cool!
    But dang I need to rethink my newest space base....

Anyway, I'd guess you could apply the same orientation values to those 3 planes.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  11. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

God mode has the correct orientation.

12. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

Ok it is NOT 6.25 km, the change happens between 3.0 and 3.3 km, at least near an Arid planet.

The SV changes orientation, GM plane does not.
    Block place orientation stays the same as GM orientation.

20200716040258_1.jpg

20200716040620_1.jpg
    (I first I only made sure sv and planet are on the same screen, pressed O, a little turn - keeping the plane-orientation and screenshot)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    Germanicus likes this.
  13. TGRF_Trainer

TGRF_Trainer Commander

Mode: Creative
    Severity: Moderate
    Type: Player/vessel orientation
    Step to replicate: Start any creative game, get in a ship in space, hit the O key, get out of the ship, observe the orientation difference.

Summary: In creative mode, in space, pressing the O key lines vessels up on a plane which is different than the plane the player is on in godmode.

Description: In creative mode, you're supposed to be able to press the O key and have all of your vessels line up against an invisible plane, so that when you get out of the cockpit, you can fly around in godmode on the same plane.

Recently, this is no longer the case. Vessels line up on a plane different than the one the player is on. This means that while in godmode, all of your vessels are in a different orientation than you are. Based on the severity of the orientation, this can range from making building in creative difficult, to practically impossible.

Note: This only occurs in space, and not on planets.

I first noticed this bug on an old creative save. I had a bunch of ships in space, turned off, in the correct orientation. One day the plane changed, and every time I hit the O key, they moved to a different orientation (in this case practically 90 degrees difference), making it virtually impossible to work on them. I tested this today on a new creative game, and found that the bug is still there. The orientation of the O key seems to change with the distance from the planet.

This is a very easy bug to replicate, but I will be happy to make a video of it if required.

Germanicus likes this.