Filed / Tracking Simplied Version - Inconsistent Behaviour When Shields Being Raised [8088]

Discussion in 'Tracking / Filed' started by Casey, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Casey

Casey Lieutenant

Revised Bug Report Based on Comments from Germanicus in original bug report (see comments below bug report):

Build: v1.5.3 3390
    Mode: Survival
    Mode: Singleplayer

SERVER NAME: Singleplayer
    SEED-ID: 59757

If Applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: No

Reproducibility: Always
    Severity: Trivial

Type: Simplied Version - When the shields are being raised (flashing red), you are able to remove blocks, damage blocks, repair blocks, but not place blocks.

Summary: Simplied Version - When the shields are being raised (flashing red), you are able to remove blocks, damage blocks, repair blocks, but not place blocks.

Description: When the shields are being raised (flashing red), you are able to remove blocks, damage blocks, repair blocks, but not place blocks.

Steps to Reproduce: In a BA, turn the shields on and charge to 100%. Turn the shields off. Wait for the shields to go red. Turn the shields back on. While the shields are flashing red, you can remove a block, damage a block, and repair a block, but you can't place a block. The behaviour should be consistent - either the shields prevent you from removing, damaging, repairing, and placing blocks. Or the shields are not considered "on" yet, and you can remove, damage, repair, and place blocks. I agree with Germanicus there are many workarounds and this bug may not affect everyone's gameplay, but that does not mean this is not a bug. I would be surprised if this inconsistent behaviour was in the game by design.

Comments from original bug report:

Germanicus: Not a Bug - you have to switch off shields before placing or removing Blocks and Devices.

Casey: Germanicus - turn off the shield. Then turn it back on. While the shield is activating (flashing red in the control panel), you can remove, damage, or repair a block, but you can't place one. Since the shield isn't "on" yet, it is a bug that you can't place a block.

Germanicus:
    Why should I? Usually I do repairs when I am in a safe location. In MP it might be a thing, in SP not so much.

An Example:
    Repair a ship(repair bay), Switch all off.
    Replace blocks/Devices, switch of shield.
    Simple as that.

That you can't place a Block while the shield is charging...
    Ttake it as a warning sign that you - accidentally or by choice - tapped X while working.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021