Simplified - Changes to Configuration of a Trader in the Control Panel Do Not Take Affect

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Casey, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Casey

Casey Lieutenant

Revised Bug Report Based on Comments from Germanicus and ravien_ff in original bug report (see comments below bug report):

Build: v1.5.3 3390
    Mode: Survival
    Mode: Singleplayer

SERVER NAME: Singleplayer
    SEED-ID: 59757

If Applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: No

Reproducibility: Always
    Severity: Trivial

Type: Usability Issue

Summary: Simplified - Changes to Configuration of a Trader in the Control Panel Do Not Take Affect

Description: Simplified - Changes to Configuration of a Trader in the Control Panel Do Not Take Affect

Steps to Reproduce: Capture enemy BA that has a trader (like a Gas Refinery). Open the Control Panel for trader and made changes. Nothing takes affect. From a usability perspective, it's equivalent to loading a gun, pressing the fire button, and nothing happens, which I hope you would agree would be a bug. I agree with Germanicus and ravien_ff that the player shouldn't be able to configure traders in survival mode. Disabling the ability to configure them would fix this.

I think the definition of a bug should be defined. In Wikipedia they do a decent job: "A software bug is an error, flaw or fault in a computer program or system that causes it to produce an incorrect or unexpected result, or to behave in unintended ways." Having been a developer and a senior software architect, it can become easy to dismiss bugs that are trivial, but it is fixing those bugs that puts the polish on a game.

If you still believe this is not a bug, please move to suggestions instead of not a bug.

Comments in original thread that was archived (read only):

Germanicus: Not a Bug - you have to switch off shields before placing or removing Blocks and Devices.

Casey: Germanicus - turn off the shield. Then turn it back on. While the shield is activating (flashing red in the control panel), you can remove, damage, or repair a block, but you can't place one. Since the shield isn't "on" yet, it is a bug that you can't place a block.

Germanicus:
    Why should I? Usually I do repairs when I am in a safe location. In MP it might be a thing, in SP not so much.

An Example:
    Repair a ship(repair bay), Switch all off.
    Replace blocks/Devices, switch of shield.
    Simple as that.

That you can't place a Block while the shield is charging...
    Ttake it as a warning sign that you - accidentally or by choice - tapped X while working.

In any case, if you still feel that this is not a bug, please move it to suggestions instead of marking it not a bug.

Screenshots, Crash Logs, and other Relevant Information or Download links:

Comments from previous bug report that was archived (read only):

Germanicus: The 'looted' Trader is a surplus. You are not intended to do be able to use him as you see fit.
    Use the Multitool and remove him;).
    You can tamper whith Traders when Creating the POI (Creative Mode) not when 'changing Ownership' in a Game(Survival Mode).
    Eventually @ravien_ff or @Vermillion can explain this more in detail..

ravien_ff:
    Certain blocks are for POI use only. This includes spawners, portals, and traders. Yes, ideally it wouldn't let you change the configuration at all in survival, however this is not a bug.

Would make a good suggestion however.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  2. Ivel

Ivel Ensign

The bug would really be that you are getting the trader to being with, not that you are unable to change it in the control panel, I think.

3. Casey

Casey Lieutenant

Ivel makes a good point. The trader can't be captured with the multitool, and can't be move, so the trader never becomes the player's property.

The only thing the player can do is trade with the trader (assuming your reputation is good enough) or change the trader's configuration.

One additional note: When I moused over the trader, I didn't have high enough standing with the faction to trade with it (having just attacked and taken one of their bases), but when I changed the trader's configuration, the text changed to match the type of trader I modified in the configuration. For example, if I made it an architect, the text would tell me I couldn't trade with the architect. Changing the race of the trader did not do anything.

Further testing - It would be interesting to see if I made peace with the faction, I may be able to modify the trader regularly to sell or buy what I want.

4. Ivel

Ivel Ensign

You are changing the faction and race of an NPC in the configuration file, in survival, what makes you say this is intentional?
    The bug report saying that the configuration doesnt change wouldnt be the issue here, its that you're able to even access that in survival to begin with. Asking to be allowed for it to work when it *shouldn't be* intentional doesn't make sense.

5. Casey

Casey Lieutenant

Ivel - I think you've misunderstood. In the bug report I state "I agree with Germanicus and ravien_ff that the player shouldn't be able to configure traders in survival mode. Disabling the ability to configure them would fix this."

6. Ivel

Ivel Ensign

It doesn't say that anywhere here, which is separate from the bug report thread, the title of the thread also states that changes made to trades do not take affect, not that traders should be fixed to not be interactable in survival.

7. Casey

Casey Lieutenant

Ivel - You'll find the quote under "Steps to Reproduce" in the original bug report (first post of this bug report). You're correct - the title could have been better stated to indicate the preferred solution to the problem. I think we agree the ideal solution is to disable the configuration.