Skillon start broken by fire rain in start area.

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by boolybooly, Aug 28, 2022.

1. boolybooly

boolybooly Commander

I just tried a start on Skillon after all that testing we did in experimental, it was completely broken by fire rain in the first five minutes, over the start area, which never happened in testing.

It makes the start unplayable, does not make the game fun, just breaks it. FYI

2. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Did you start a new game with the most recent version?

3. boolybooly

boolybooly Commander

4. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

And what exactelly causes fire rain in a desert planet?

There are no vulcanos, no forests so no forest fires could cause it, so why so many fire rains in a desert?

And how exactelly would fauna and flora in the planet survive the constant fire rains?

5. boolybooly

boolybooly Commander

I tried a new seed and so far there has been no fire rain.

I agree its strange to have it on a desert world as I would associate it with a volcanic environment. A sandstorm might be more credible.

For gameplay encountering it in the first day, which this was, is not really survivable and suggests that something has gone wrong with the weather generator as I thought there was supposed to be a period of grace at the start.

6. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

You have two options in that situation, use the tent to pass time or dig a hole to hide, it used to worl before at least but the reason why players are put in that situation in a desert planet just does not make sense

7. The Big Brzezinski

The Big Brzezinski Captain

I started under a fire rain yesterday, and just used the tent. I did everything at night to avoid the heat starting out. A little salvaging and golem hunting later, and I had an HV to work from. Weather stopped mattering after that.

8. boolybooly

boolybooly Commander

Oh, so the tent works now? I am not sure if I dare to believe it!

I am conditioned to believe the tent does not avoid weather due to previous experiences on Ningues in earlier versions where it didnt, either that or cold spells were lasting weeks on end. If that is working now then OK, though I have not checked due to aversion created by decay penalties and previous inventory bugs causing newly added items to decay instantly which were due to using the tent and were reported. I hope they were also fixed.

9. boolybooly

boolybooly Commander

I am sorry but I am calling this out.

I just tested fire rain avoidance using the tent and it absolutely does not work.

I used the tent eight times in a row 8x8 = 64hrs which is nearly three days fire rain following through the attempt to sleep it out and the temps stayed well above 70 all that time and fire rain showing as the weather status. Even when the sky was eventually allegedly CLEAR, using the tent did not bring the temps down.

I used the tent a ninth time and clear sky at 70° reverted to fire rain again and the temps rose again.

I used it a tenth time and the readout said clear but the temps were still over 60° but cooling.

I used it eleven times and while the sky stayed clear the temperature DID NOT DROP OVER EIGHT HOURS, it was at the same temperature after tent use as before and at night when ambient falls to around zero if you let the game run through it.

The effect of the tent on the weather, especially ambient temps, is broken. The weather sim when using the tent does not work. It does not alleviate the crisis and that is why it is not a viable strategy on its own. If you already have a base or vehicle (as I do in this test game) then you can use the tent to process construction / production rapidly and throw the dice on the damaging effect like hail and hot rocks but you cannot use it to avoid the weather effect on temperature, which is exactly the same as it was testing it on Ningues.

Just does not work as it should because the game does not process the weather sim during the tent sleep period the way it processes production and respawns.

Three goes with the tent i.e. 24 hrs aka one day should have cleared the weather condition completely and set temps to normal just as the same length of time would if you sat it out in a base or vehicle.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
    stanley bourdon and Kaeser like this.
  10. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    I just checked: Fire Rain should only start after 72 hours - if it starts right when you are in the starting area, then there is a bug somewhere.

boolybooly likes this.
  11. boolybooly

boolybooly Commander

Great, thanks for checking, I think it must be a bug.

It started within a few minutes, you can see the time of day in the screen, that was the first day immediately after arrival not having had time to set up a portable constructor or oxygen generator even.

Maybe it is linked to other problems with fire rain like using the tent not really working and excessive frequency, those two might be linked as well. It may be it does not clear because it keeps coming back.

I have just evacuated Skillon in this playthrough because fire rain would not clear with tent and would keep coming back even when I just waited it out, it would be back a day later and means you cannot do anything outside a vehicle or base which is a bit of an imposition.

Once in a while it keeps you on your toes, I like the new jump scares like dogs and raptors for example, but day after day of fire rain gets a bit tedious.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
  12. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Ok, thx. I would consider that as a bug then.

May I ask you to open a ticket in the bug section and also add the savegame to it? :)

13. boolybooly

boolybooly Commander

Sorry but the savegame is lost as I deleted it before recognising it as a bug but I will make a bug report.

never mind I play tested random seeds until it happened again and it was the second seed I tried !

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022